Sponsored

Is this wheel compatible with R1T? (updated with efficiency test and pics)

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Picked up the wheels/tires today. All looks fine. I had them try one on for size, and it looked fine. I won’t put them all on for awhile, so no useful commentary yet, other than they appear to fit. This was the only picture I took while they were working. My old Subaru tires were a lot easier to lug around than these behemoths ;)

The tech didn’t think it was going to fit in the spare tire compartment, but it slid in just fine. Happy I now have a spare!

4AA48CA6-B610-4B30-851A-0B6C60A84A98.jpeg
Is that Rivian blue, or did you wrap?
Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Picked up the wheels/tires today. All looks fine. I had them try one on for size, and it looked fine. I won’t put them all on for awhile, so no useful commentary yet, other than they appear to fit. This was the only picture I took while they were working. My old Subaru tires were a lot easier to lug around than these behemoths ;)

The tech didn’t think it was going to fit in the spare tire compartment, but it slid in just fine. Happy I now have a spare!

4AA48CA6-B610-4B30-851A-0B6C60A84A98.jpeg
Any idea if the Rivian Center Cap will fit in the center of that bad boy?

I don't mind if they don't, but I am also not crazy about the HD Series logo cap.

Also good thing you got yours when you did, looks like they're sold out:
Rivian R1T R1S Is this wheel compatible with R1T? (updated with efficiency test and pics) 1694120520486

OP
OP

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Any idea if the Rivian Center Cap will fit in the center of that bad boy?

I don't mind if they don't, but I am also not crazy about the HD Series logo cap.

Also good thing you got yours when you did, looks like they're sold out:
1694120520486.png
Good question... I don't have any center caps, so not sure...

Hmm, good timing I guess? This was one of the least expensive choices (alloys), so I'm glad I didn't have to spend more. But there's always a sale coming down the pipe from someone, so I'm sure there will be far less expensive options soon too. But at least now I have a spare, which is one less thing to worry about.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Good question... I don't have any center caps, so not sure...

Hmm, good timing I guess? This was one of the least expensive choices (alloys), so I'm glad I didn't have to spend more. But there's always a sale coming down the pipe from someone, so I'm sure there will be far less expensive options soon too. But at least now I have a spare, which is one less thing to worry about.
Are you planning to buy some kind of centre caps, or just use the HD ones?

Sponsored

OP
OP

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Finally got the tires on. I did a test for efficiency hit too, but there were enough variables that changed I’m not sure how useful the data is. Did the exact same route, but it was quite some time apart. Mix of highway and city street.

First test:
Stock 21s
HVAC off
AP standard height
9 degrees C air temp
11 degrees C battery temp
Light traffic, dry roads
25.1 kms, average speed 49 kph, 30 mins
Average 4.42 kWh, total energy 5.7 kWh

Second test:
20” Blizzaks
HVAC off
AP standard height (sits 1.1” taller due to tire size)
5 degrees C air temp
11 degrees C battery temp
Slightly more traffic, raining and wet roads
24.7 kms, average speed 45 kph, 32 mins
Average 3.75 kWh, total energy 6.6 kWh
Also had 5-10 mins with limited regen and lost some regen capacity

Taking into consideration the difference in tire size (1.1” diameter difference) and using the total kWH rather than the efficiency (since that’ll be off based on the difference in distance it thinks I travelled), the total hit was around 13%. Some of this would be from colder air, wet roads and limited regen for that 10 mins. Between the tires and the truck sitting 1.1” higher, I’m going to guess the actual hit is 5-8% higher depending on conditions and route?

This tire supposedly has the same diameter as the stock 20s, but I don’t think I can put it in low drive height as it’ll rub. That’s annoying and will look closer. I’m almost always in AP standard, but occasionally drop it down for loading or lower parking garages.