Sponsored

Is the Model X now a better buy over R1S? (WARNING: NO ELON MUSK DISCUSSIONS)

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This. Tesla also doesn't have any USS, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring and a host of other very important features.

The vision park assist they rolled out is absolutely useless. It's awful. I expect it to be that way for years to come.
So this might be the deal breaker for me. What I don’t understand is Tesla vehicles probably have more situational awareness than most cars for FSD, but why not relay that to the drivers? Seems like FSD is more the priority than the driver. Which would actually be fine for me if it was true FSD. Until then having the alerts, monitoring, cameras, and other assistance systems have become pretty important.

Also, just now realizing you cant attach a roof rack to the X. So going to greatly impact the ability to road trip an X with a car full of people and little room for cargo.
Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
So this might be the deal breaker for me. What I don’t understand is Tesla vehicles probably have more situational awareness than most cars for FSD, but why not relay that to the drivers? Seems like FSD is more the priority than the driver. Which would actually be fine for me if it was true FSD. Until then having the alerts, monitoring, cameras, and other assistance systems have become pretty important.

Also, just now realizing you cant attach a roof rack to the X. So going to greatly impact the ability to road trip an X with a car full of people and little room for cargo.
The X has never been able to support a roof rack because of the Falcon Wing doors. However, you can attach a cargo box to the trailer hitch which is probably a more efficient way to travel anyway as it doesn't increase frontal area.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This. Tesla also doesn't have any USS, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring and a host of other very important features.

The vision park assist they rolled out is absolutely useless. It's awful. I expect it to be that way for years to come.
Umm…the Model S and X has blind spot monitoring, and the new Model 3 added an indicator for blind spot monitoring as well.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Folks, I added a few points to note about Tesla MX versus R1S. Please read in case you are looking at a practical ownership experience review. I haven't covered the financial aspects such as tax credits. Running costs are the same for MX and R1S in terms of power consumption at home.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...for-the-7-500-ev-tax-credit.18673/post-394813

Service wise, both have the same problem (lean staff, long wait times) but Rivian will get better as they build more centers, sell more vehicles. Tesla has too many vehicles per service center and they are selling more and more. Quality of service has gone down. They are keeping up by building more service centers. Very difficult to get help if you are looking to get immediate help for your Tesla vehicle. I was ignored for about 1.5 hours when I went to a local Tesla service center. I tried to talk to folks and no one would even acknowledge my presence, request.

Rivian is like Tesla from 8 years ago. You can talk to someone on the phone and get your issues addressed. You can't talk to anyone in Tesla unless it is for emergency roadside assistance. They have cut their call center staff and all the interactions are app-based.

Last edited:

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Umm…the Model S and X has blind spot monitoring, and the new Model 3 added an indicator for blind spot monitoring as well.
When did the S/X add it? Because I owned an S in 2022 and it definitely didn't. They have the camera view which I like, but I don't believe they have anything on the mirror or otherwise as an indicator.

The center even visualization tries to act as one but I would never trust that. I saw that they added it to the new model 3.

Sponsored

_R1S_

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I rented a model x performance for a week and hated it. The wing doors fault and don't open half the time, the driver door is power actuated and opened itself into a post in my garage (glad it was a rental), and the interior is super cheap. I mean 2001 hyundai cheap. The model x also looks like a minivan. The Rivian wins that, but given how tight the back seat in the r1s is, i would take the F150.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

If you are eligible for tax credit or have charging infrastructure issues where you live, buy X. At the same price, S. It's more capable and safer. Height and weight improves passive safety.

I don't know why someone with sub 300k income would spend $100k on a car. Perhaps some are wealthy and cash poor. Or have bad financial sense.
You rang?

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
My 2020 Model X is the only EV I have ever regretted buying. Was happy I got a chance to sell it in 2021.

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Detail? Help those out trying to compare.
<cracks knuckles>

The Model X arrived with two leaks, one that was obvious (bird wing door, drivers side) and one that wasn't (rear quarter window wasn't sealed). The leak in the door was annoying and took two tries to fix. The leak in the rear quarter window wasn't found until it rained enough that the lower trunk filled with water. Once we took apart the rear, we found all the mold.

In 50,000 miles i had to have the front half shafts replaced twice. A design flaw Tesla still hasn't managed to fix, and doesn't even require hard acceleration to warp them. After 15-20,000 miles, they would vibrate badly. wash. rinse. repeat. I sold it before the warranty ended, luckily.

The manufacturer specs call for pretty aggressive rear camber. This, combined with the fact that you cannot rotate the tires, due to a staggered setup, means that the inner edge of the rear tires wears out aggressively quickly. (Bonus: I asked the service center to check the rears before a long road trip and they said everything was a-okay. Then I got a flat 1000 miles into our trip and realized there were cords showing on the inner edge of both rear tires.)

It is relatively inefficient at highway speeds. I was lucky to get 200 miles at 75mph, and this was with the more recent drivetrain and battery.

The cabin was loud. I do think this has been mostly fixed in the newer ones, but mine had so much wind noise at >70mph that I missed the comparatively serene cabin of my Honda Civic.

Towing. Now I know that towing is a stretch goal, but this thing was pretty laughably inept at towing. I towed a medium sized uhaul a few years ago, and had to stop every 100 miles. I even had to use a chademo adapter at EA to make it across a gap in New Mexico. If you plan to ever tow anything more than once, don't do it with this vehicle.

The chassis had an awful noise where the unibody was rubbing against itself at lower speeds. I fixed this with a hammer. Cool.

Fit and finish was ultimate meh.

I'm sure there is more, but I've probably blocked it out.

(note: I have a Model S plaid and have relatively few complaints about the build/performance of that vehicle, so I'm not just hating on Tesla for fun here. The Model X is a terrible product.)

Hercules10

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla is having a hard time selling the X model, therefore the price reduction. Can's imagine buying one two years ago and now seeing what it is worth now. Personally, the interior is missing features that a 80k vehicle should have, the Captain chairs in the back don't fold down for one.
Sponsored