inside EVs: Hummer First Drive

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
He mentioned low range a couple times, I wonder if that's some kind of electronic low range simulator. Seemed like a lot of work to get through the screen menus and a bit of lag after button presses. Rear steer for a large vehicle would definitely be handy.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Over 9k pounds, wow, and all that steel, verses 7k and carbon fiber and aluminum. Cool, but I’m still canceling my Hummer reservation… ? too many buttons and switches and nowhere near the simplicity of the R1T let alone fits in my driveway appeal! Awesome review though. Thanks @kanundrum!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Over 9k pounds, wow, and all that steel, verses 7k and carbon fiber and aluminum. Cool, but I’m still canceling my Hummer reservation… ? too many buttons and switches and nowhere near the simplicity of the R1T let alone fits in my driveway appeal! Awesome review though. Thanks @kanundrum!
Can't take that on many OHV trails....

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Targeting the same market for the old H2- young models cruising around South Beach.

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
LOL, man, that tire noise when they were doing the on-road driving was *apparent* at best.

Serious though, this seems like a pretty slick rig. I had a preorder for a little while. But ultimately, I need an SUV, and theirs is quite a few years off.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I watched this, and the TFL review.
Impressive turning radius with the 4 wheel steering option.
WTF mode seems fun, but not as useful since it takes some time to set up. I think Roman said 4.5s to 60mph when not using wtf mode.
I like that they are confident in the under body protection.
No spare tire option, seriously!! I keep complaining about the donut in the R1S, but this is worse ughh
I like the amount of cameras! And the top view option.
The cabin noise in these reviews when compared with the R1T reviews is night and day. However this comes with the removable roof, so some extra noise is expected.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I watched this, and the TFL review.
Impressive turning radius with the 4 wheel steering option.

No spare tire option, seriously!! I keep complaining about the donut in the R1S, but this is worse ughh
I really do love the 4-wheel steering. It'd be a nice to have on the Rivian, (or most any vehicle), but understand the reason not to add the complexity.

I did see the options brochure for the Hummer (WOW, they have a TON of options, BTW), and they did have a bed-mounted full size spare holder. You can even see it in the bed in Tom's review.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I really do love the 4-wheel steering. It'd be a nice to have on the Rivian, (or most any vehicle), but understand the reason not to add the complexity.

I did see the options brochure for the Hummer (WOW, they have a TON of options, BTW), and they did have a bed-mounted full size spare holder. You can even see it in the bed in Tom's review.
Ahh got it. So the option to get the spare is available, but it'll sit in your bed all the time.
I can keep complaining about the R1S then, since they don't offer a full size spare ?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Even being generous and going with an EPA range of 375 (based on their claim of "over 350"), you're still looking at 530wh/mi. Even with a moderately higher power to weight ratio than the Rivian, that's pretty awful efficiency.

I find the "crab mode" concept to be hilarious, as if having the ability to do short space maneuvering will make any difference in a vehicle that is roughly the size of a Zumwalt Class Destroyer (and slightly less attractive).

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I can't decide what looks worse....the Hummer or the Cybertruck....

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I can't decide what looks worse....the Hummer or the Cybertruck....
it's the Cybertruck. The Hummer is ugly in a traditional way that you just sort of get used to and doesn't really stick out by itself. The Cybertruck is a new type of hideous, sort of in the way that the Pontiac Aztec was, where it actively draws your eye to it before assaulting your sensibilities with outrageously bad design decisions.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent

Yes there are a TON of options, I download that guide as well, just adding all that up-but man that can get pricey, more than the original H1 I believe. That stance looks silly squatting front sitting taller than rear bugs me too, I fixed that in my F150 right away with the Upgraded Fox shocks to level it out. However, That removable roof is really cool though. I definitely like that, R1T’s will be composite so in that case I’ll stick with the glass panoramic sky view.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I find the "crab mode" concept to be hilarious, as if having the ability to do short space maneuvering will make any difference in a vehicle that is roughly the size of a Zumwalt Class Destroyer (and slightly less attractive).
Oh, they absolutely don't deserve huge plaudits for the crab walk, but I think your thought process is backward: Its so important for the Hummer EV because it's almost the same size as a Leibherr T series truck. :CWL:

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Interesting when the Hummer is cresting the hill, the front tires have a lot of positive camber to them (like most IFS trucks), and I suspect even more once completely unloaded, but in the picture of the airborn R1T, the front tires still had negative camber when completely unloaded.
Sponsored