Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

When did Rivian reverse their no R1S max pack announcement?
They haven't. With the current design there is no room in the chassis for more battery modules in the R1S, only the R1T with its 136" vs 122" wheelbase. In the R1T chassis there's room for two more battery modules or 30 kWh, despite Rivian originally claiming 180 kWh (or +3 modules) for Max pack.
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
They haven't. With the current design there is no room in the chassis for more battery modules in the R1S, only the R1T with its 136" vs 122" wheelbase. In the R1T chassis there's room for two more battery modules or 30 kWh, despite Rivian originally claiming 180 kWh (or +3 modules) for Max pack.
or hopes of higher power density.

Presumably the extra R1S modules were going in the 3rd row seat well. Planning on placing the modules throughout the vehicles was probably fun until the reality of mass production hit.

OP
OP
elfordon

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I updated the original post to include disappointments 5 & 6. My 1H2023 max pack, ordered in 2020, is now Fall 2023.

so so tired of this.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Here's what max pack preorder holders have been told:

• (Edited to add disappointments 5 & 6.)

And don't forget that R1S orders were screwed out of the Max Pack entirely unless we order a crappy dual motor version that isn't coming for years.

Sponsored

OP
OP
elfordon

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Clubs

And don't forget that R1S orders were screwed out of the Max Pack entirely unless we order a crappy dual motor version that isn't coming for years.
Well, technically R1T max pack preorder holders are the same. Crappy dual motor only, but both R1T and R1S dual motor max packs are supposed to start deliveries in fall 2023. (Key highlights on one of the first pages of the 4Q2022 shareholder update: "~400-mile R1S/R1T max pack launching 2H 2023")

But we should all know by now not to believe any max pack dates.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The latest kick in the nuts: currently it seems that if you want/need a max pack, you loose out on a bunch of driving modes. For me, losing out the rock crawl mode with the fine throttle control might be a deal breaker :(

https://rivian.com/support/article/...al-motor-awd-performance-dual-motor-awd-and-q
Probably a lot less necessary with dual motor since they can brake lock-up the wheel that is spinning instead of just limiting the maximum spin RPM like they are with quad.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
My plan is to wait until 3rd party reviewers have tested the dual motor, and max pack configuration. I don't need a new car today.

I'm still holding out a bit of hope that Rivian is doing something extra for the max pack 10k+ upcharge other than just a small battery increase. Seems crazy otherwise...

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Sponsored

OP
OP
elfordon

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Max pack R1T deliveries were to be among the first (according to Rivian's early pre-order confirmation emails). Now that we max packers are at the very end of the line, here's a summary of undesirable changes forced on us over the years we've been waiting...

Warranty is shorter (vs quad) (https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-warranty-coverage-on-a-new-rivian)
- Bumper-to-bumper quad: 5 yr/60,000 miles
- Bumper-to-bumper dual: 4 yr/50,000 miles
- Battery quad: 8 yr/175,000 miles
- Battery dual: 8 yr/150,000 miles (large battery pack, so not sure what max pack will be)

Battery capacity reduction from 180kwh (45 kwh over large pack, which is 135kwh) to 150kwh (estimated, because they won't give out the info!!!). Large pack is 9 modules x 15 kwh each. Max was supposed to be 12 modules x 15 kwh each.

Horsepower reduction (quad vs dual)

Loss of 12v outlet in frunk (all vehicles)

Feb 2023 sound system change (all vehicles): No longer Meridian? Two fewer speakers?

Diminished offroad capacity (quad vs dual)

Tonneau craziness: I want a powered tonneau but they don't seem to be shipping.

Mileage difference reduction, max vs large (assume 21" tires): R1T large pack was supposed to be ~300 miles; max pack was supposed to be 400+; the differenc between the two is less, although the upcharge for the max pack is still $10,000 ($7,000 for early preorder holders)

Drive modes: Forced into conserve as a general drive mode (above 19 mph); we will be eating tires (maybe if they used 30 mph instead of 19, we'd be ok)

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Max pack R1T deliveries were to be among the first (according to Rivian's early pre-order confirmation emails). Now that we max packers are at the very end of the line, here's a summary of undesirable changes forced on us over the years we've been waiting...

Warranty is shorter (vs quad) (https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-warranty-coverage-on-a-new-rivian)
- Bumper-to-bumper quad: 5 yr/60,000 miles
- Bumper-to-bumper dual: 4 yr/50,000 miles
- Battery quad: 8 yr/175,000 miles
- Battery dual: 8 yr/150,000 miles (large battery pack, so not sure what max pack will be)

Battery capacity reduction from 180kwh (45 kwh over large pack, which is 135kwh) to 150kwh (estimated, because they won't give out the info!!!). Large pack is 9 modules x 15 kwh each. Max was supposed to be 12 modules x 15 kwh each.

Horsepower reduction (quad vs dual)

Loss of 12v outlet in frunk (all vehicles)

Feb 2023 sound system change (all vehicles): No longer Meridian? Two fewer speakers?

Diminished offroad capacity (quad vs dual)

Tonneau craziness: I want a powered tonneau but they don't seem to be shipping.

Mileage difference reduction, max vs large (assume 21" tires): R1T large pack was supposed to be ~300 miles; max pack was supposed to be 400+; the differenc between the two is less, although the upcharge for the max pack is still $10,000 ($7,000 for early preorder holders)

Drive modes: Forced into conserve as a general drive mode (above 19 mph); we will be eating tires (maybe if they used 30 mph instead of 19, we'd be ok)
When Max Pack was pushed out to 2024 and became a Enduro exclusive around christmas last year, I gave up, went Large Quad and took delivery in March. For us, even in the charging desert that is Canada, the large pack has been more than enough even on the 20" AT's. If we really want to eek out some additional range, we'll just get less aggressive tires.

Do I love the quad/large? You bet. Do I wish I continued to hold out? No. The price difference paired with what amounts to only an additional 50ish miles doesn't make sense for us. Had the time developing the Max pack been used to introduce 800V architecture etc? Then the price would have been justified.

What don't I like about the quad? very little. I took it for a spirited sport mode rip up a local ski hill this morning before work, and even when you think the truck is on the edge of what it can do going around a hairpin corner, you can always seem to give it that little bit more and feel the corner based torque vectoring keep you on that line. It's an incredible experience and to me where the quad drivetrain comes into it's own. Where the Quad probably falls behind is in thermal performance compared to the dual. I used 11.1kWh in sport mode aggressively driving up the mountain over about 14km. On the decent, I was only able to recapture 1.6kWh of what was used. Unfortunately this is where the regen limit starts to throttle back.

My opinion, go either go dual large or quad large.
Sponsored