Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

When will “Max Pack” become urban slang for “repeatedly screwed?”

Yes, we received yet another “sorry” email last night, Feb 15.
Sorry your configurator is delayed. That must be hard.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Just reinforces my decision to drop to Quad+Large. I just wish I'd have done it 6 months ago as I'd probably have a truck already if I had.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
When will “Max Pack” become urban slang for “repeatedly screwed?”

Yes, we received yet another “sorry” email last night, Feb 15.
With my order date I'm not expecting max pack before end of this year/beginning of 2024. A positive spin on the email is that they know they need a reasonably good date estimate before setting expectations.

There are thousands of max pack orders ahead of you and me. The question is how many have switched to large. I assume you have store access.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just reinforces my decision to drop to Quad+Large. I just wish I'd have done it 6 months ago as I'd probably have a truck already if I had.
After Rivian dropped the 105/135/180 wording for the battery pack sizes, I figured it is only a matter of time for the max pack to be reworked to a lower capacity to make their production easier and still hit the 400 mile goal.

I think there's not a great reason to take the R1T+Max now over what the competition will offer if you actually intended on using the extra capacity to tow, but Max should still increase the flexibility and overall travel speeds since you can sit at higher charge rates for a little bit longer. I just don't expect it to be enough to make a big difference now that the charging situation in the US has been getting a lot better.

Kevlar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Management
Kinda over the whole MaxPack thing. RJ is running a case study in how not to manage market expectations and I feel like Rivian is what happens when software engineers design hardware but that's an uninformed criticism because i don't know what types of engineers Rivian hires.

I do know that I have been personally let down by this company many..many times and when you can't have create consumer confidence...you won't sell products.

Rivian will have a great future as a fleet-platform for Amazon panel truck replacements but I don't see them lasting in the consumer market. An "adventure vehicle" was/is a cute idea and maybe someone will satisfy this market one day.

Anyone want to buy my R1T watercolor, lemme know.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Rivian will have a great future as a fleet-platform for Amazon panel truck replacements but I don't see them lasting in the consumer market.
Rivian is likely undifferentiated in commercial vehicles and there is no reason to believe they can be one of the low cost manufacturers. They apparently aren't building the routing software. It seems amazon designs and build the center screen software.

So what advantage does Rivian have in vans? On the other side, the R1s are well differentiated.

OP
OP
elfordon

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

At this point, I think a single production run will fulfill the holdout Max Pack preorder holders. (And that’s probably the whole problem--not enough demand now.)

Kevlar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Management
Rivian is likely undifferentiated in commercial vehicles and there is no reason to believe they can be one of the low cost manufacturers. They apparently aren't building the routing software. It seems amazon designs and build the center screen software.

So what advantage does Rivian have in vans? On the other side, the R1s are well differentiated.
I don't underestimate Amazon's role in this bigger picture. The delta between AMZN's existing investment and what AMZN might decide to bring to the table with AWS services could create new opportunities for Rivian logistic and fleet management software. Few can speak to AMZN's appetite for EV subsidy and how they might offset the cost of manufacturing as a primary stake holder in the Rivian.

You may be entirely correct...but with Ford entirely out and AMZN potentially needing Rivian I do believe there is a future for Rivian as a fleet platform first and a consumer platform second.

We might agree that Rivian has had challenges specifically with direct to customer expectation management

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

At this point, I think a single production run will fulfill the holdout Max Pack preorder holders. (And that’s probably the whole problem--not enough demand now.)
Not enough demand due to their shitty comms IMO
I would still like to go to a Dual-Max and I still might if they give me that option with a reasonable price.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Not enough demand due to their shitty comms IMO
I would still like to go to a Dual-Max and I still might if they give me that option with a reasonable price.
What is a dual max?

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

What is a dual max?
Originally dual motor was not an option, so your choice was Quad-Max or Quad-Large when pre-ordering.
Now Quad-Max is not an option at least for the foreseeable future, so the only way to get the Max pack is to get the dual motor configuration.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I would add that I too am legitimately tired of "you don't need the max pack" comments, as non max orders are of hearing us bitch.

Sure I may not need it all the time, but I do need it. Having waited this long, compromising seems like a waste of my time in getting here today. I could have gone LE in November 2020 if I was intent on going that route, but chose not to. I'd also have saved 10K on the lesser battery, but again, doesn't fit my needs.

It's also been frustrating to watch the can kicking a year down the road every time we get within a few months of deliveries commencing. As you pointed out, it adds to our frustration as future owners having waited this long.

I'm likening it to every time I have to take a ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, miss the ferry by a couple cars, only to find the subsequent ferry is cancelled, and now your stuck in a terminal waiting for the next ferry which arrives in 3+ hours. My brother put it well one day "Oh cool, ferries cancelled and I have to wait here for 5 hours for the next one, I'm real pissed, but I'm gonna sit here, wait and be pissed off in my car, cause what else am I gonna do!"
If you had a large pack now at least you could attempt to ford the sound.
Sorry not helpful but couldn't resist.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Originally dual motor was not an option, so your choice was Quad-Max or Quad-Large when pre-ordering.
Now Quad-Max is not an option at least for the foreseeable future, so the only way to get the Max pack is to get the dual motor configuration.
Yes, I know. But you have an R1S preorder

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes, I know. But you have an R1S preorder
And?
Dual motor max pack is the only option at this time for R1S or R1T if you want Max Pack.