First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I think you'll see most going Max Enduro over Max Quad.
I guess it will depend on the Enduro reviews from actual trail "adventures" once they show up on YT and such. If they get close to a locker thing going it will sell like hotcakes! Right now the quad motor control leaves much to be desired when 1 or 2 wheels are off the ground.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm glad I didn't wait, but I have pricing advantage on a second order still... And I could tolerate the truck being in service for over a month. I'm really hoping for some major architecture updates for the Max Pack as being the primary delay. 800V charging would make road tripping a lot nicer, there's a big advantage at the 62.5/125 split charge point chargers. Should be able to get 120kW+ vs the mid 80s on those currently.
Yeah I'm sitting on a quad max pack that I'm happy to wait on at this point. I strongly suspect that I'll be happy with hardware revisions and improvements that Rivian has by the time max pack is released.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I guess it will depend on the Enduro reviews from actual trail "adventures" once they show up on YT and such. If they get close to a locker thing going it will sell like hotcakes! Right now the quad motor control leaves much to be desired when 1 or 2 wheels are off the ground.
Exactly! The quad has it's advantages, no doubt, but the dual will undoubtedly have lockers (it's an adventure vehicle after all) but I do think the quad requires a bit of fine tuning to make it feel more locked, but part of it is a different approach by the driver to stay on the gas to allow wheels to find their traction.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I do think that the Enduro dual motor setup will be an 800V one because otherwise, what's the point of developing it? And the enduro motor will eventually make its way into the quad motor variant bringing with it the 800V arch.
My current theory is this:
Enduro (dual motor) is 800v. They'll switch quad over to 800v with max pack and internally developed motors that are a variant of the enduro with a different code name. What I can't decide is whether they'll keep the bosch motors for quad going into 2022. I doubt it, but the somewhat recent manufacturing expansion announcement with them throws a small wrench in that potentially.

I'm guessing that they will also implement a heat pump starting with the dual motor max pack.

We see some general range improvements on the existing R1 platform (as RJ mentioned recently) and suspect they have been trying to reduce R1 weight and simplify manufacturing. Mix in some potential efficiency improvements with new motors, higher voltages, heat pump, and potentially different battery chem that RJ hinted at recently I suspect they'll fit the max pack in 11 modules and less than 180kwh to achieve 400 miles. Large pack may creep up to about 330 miles EPA in 2023.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm hopeful the delay is more of an architecture related one over a battery form factor issue. I'd love to infer what is going on at Rivian HQ, but i'd rather just keep my expectations grounded.

But, I can't help myself so...
I do think that the Enduro dual motor setup will be an 800V one because otherwise, what's the point of developing it? And the enduro motor will eventually make its way into the quad motor variant bringing with it the 800V arch.

;)
RJ did say quite some time ago that the max pack should have the same performance figures. Or that he'd like it to. Rivian probably kept stepping up the power to the Bosch motors so they could hit the 3.0s 0-60 target, since it was originally supposed to have 750 hp(at least when I reserved mine) and they ended up at 835. I wouldn't think they have much room left without Bosch saying they won't warrant drive failures anymore. Rivian will probably need to produce nearly 900 hp with the extra weight to stay at that figure.

With all of GM's pickup trucks being set up for 800V charging if selected, and Ford's second gen lightning coming in 2025, it would be good to get ahead of it as much as possible.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My current theory is this:
Enduro (dual motor) is 800v. They'll switch quad over to 800v with max pack and internally developed motors that are a variant of the enduro with a different code name. What I can't decide is whether they'll keep the bosch motors for quad going into 2022. I doubt it, but the somewhat recent manufacturing expansion announcement with them throws a small wrench in that potentially.
I honestly would be surprised if it didn't end up going this way. Rivian is shipping dual motor+max pack (6 months?) before dual+large/standard and quad/max. I think the odds are good that sometime in late 2023, Rivian will have shipped their last 400V vehicle (if they can stay on their timeline)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I honestly would be surprised if it didn't end up going this way. Rivian is shipping dual motor+max pack (6 months?) before dual+large/standard and quad/max. I think the odds are good that sometime in late 2023, Rivian will have shipped their last 400V vehicle (if they can stay on their timeline)
Same. What I'm really curious about is what they do from start of dual motor delivery through start of quad max. Sounds like they plan on carrying components and different pack configurations for awhile, which sounds a bit inefficient.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
If they do indeed transition to 800V architecture, how much will that affect the resale value of their vehicles made even up to the final production day of the 400V vehicles?

You get your 400V Rivian which was built on March 31st, all Rivian's built on April 1st and after are 800V :crying:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

If they do indeed transition to 800V architecture, how much will that affect the resale value of their vehicles made even up to the final production day of the 400V vehicles?

You get your 400V Rivian which was built on March 31st, all Rivian's built on April 1st and after are 800V :crying:
I mean it's no different than anything else, It's like buying a tesla even a few months ago, one might have 2170 form factor cells, the next day it had a 4180's. Will charge rate affect resale, probably, but the core of the vehicle is still there, so I can't see it affecting its bottom line, just higher charge rate resale market might justify a markup.

Edit* for to form

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I would guess there might be some difference to resale, but I'm fine with 400V and pre 3/1 pricing. I also recognize that with any technology, something better is always going to come along. How much will 800v vs 400v matter for everyday driving? And for road trips, I know it will save time, but how much, 10-20 minutes each stop, assuming 20% to 80% (depending on charger)? I know that time can add up over time, but for a lot of people I don't think they will notice much of a difference. If someone has a better guess please let me know.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would guess there might be some difference to resale, but I'm fine with 400V and pre 3/1 pricing. I also recognize that with any technology, something better is always going to come along. How much will 800v vs 400v matter for everyday driving? And for road trips, I know it will save time, but how much, 10-20 minutes each stop, assuming 20% to 80% (depending on charger)? I know that time can add up over time, but for a lot of people I don't think they will notice much of a difference. If someone has a better guess please let me know.
Max pack and 800V charging will likely save a third of the charging time if the person driving is trying to optimize for it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Well at some point you may have to have a serious conversation with you and come to a compromise unless you specifically need the max pack. I hate to even write it... but there's nothing preventing Rivian from kicking the quad motor max pack deliveries down the road again once 2024 arrives. Our government does that all the time as SOP, no reason Rivian can't do it as well. By the time mid 2024 arrives, the attrition rate for quad/max pack may be so great they may just declare it "canceled due to lack of demand".
Look at a map of BC(or for that matter all of Canada west of Ontario) showing chargers of 50kw output or more....then look at temperatures between November and April.

That's the case for max pack :D

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Look at a map of BC(or for that matter all of Canada west of Ontario) showing chargers of 50kw output or more....then look at temperatures between November and April.

That's the case for max pack :D
I'll trust you it's damn cold!!! 😁

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military

I would expect that most folks charge almost exclusively at home. For them, 400V vs. 800V would likely have minimal impact. The vehicle still has great range with Large pack and awesome range with Max pack (as advertised) and superb performance. They all will have some depreciation and I expect this to just be par for the course. Demand isn't going down and there just aren't that many choices out there - even with everyone else getting on the bandwagon. If you were lucky enough to get pre-1 Mar pricing, you will almost certainly have positive equity for a while. Just my $.02...

OP
OP
elfordon

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

When will “Max Pack” become urban slang for “repeatedly screwed?”

Yes, we received yet another “sorry” email last night, Feb 15.
Sponsored