Sponsored

In what world are these types of paint issues acceptable on new R1S?

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Not all of those are dealbreakers, but some are, and how many dealbreakers does it take for a vehicle to not pass QA?
Rivian makes so few vehicles per day, their quality problems are inexplicable.
My "ancient" R1T (1000 VIN) is just about perfect. It's not that they can't build a good one.
Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Almost feels like they were watching this thread.

I just got a call from the SC directly. They said they've addressed most of the trim issues I reported. The body shop is supposed to take care of the rest, they are just waiting on them to do the work. Apparently they are going to attempt to correct the paint and PDR the dents in the doors. They said they will clean up the seam sealer spots, but they will not completely disappear. I guess we'll see how it looks when it comes back.

I asked why these seam sealer issues are present on this particular S but weren't on my R1Ts. The SC wasn't sure, but they would ask someone further up the chain to make sure they were aware of the issue and understand why it's happening.
Yes, Rivian has their people surf popular social media platforms on a regular basis to guage sentiments and trends. At least that's what I was told. Others such as Aptera, the solar electric vehicle company, which I've vested interests in, their top company Officers and engineers regularly engage us on YouTube and other platforms and discuss their products and production progress. They are super transparent. Picture is the Launch Edition that I've ordered. Production starts 1st quarter of 2024.

Rivian R1T R1S In what world are these types of paint issues acceptable on new R1S? aptera-luna-05

Rivian R1T R1S In what world are these types of paint issues acceptable on new R1S? aptera-luna-03

Tonka

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser , Silverado, Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
So the current situation is that we've found a replacement in the shop currently located at the Dallas service center but the new complaint I have with this company is that they will now only allow me to take delivery there which is 3 hours away. WTF! it's not in anyway my fault that they didn't check the first one before shipping it and I guess I'm considered "that customer" so if I want one now I'll have to drive but still pay the $1,800 destination fee that's supposed to bring it to my house. Why not just train your staff to inspect a car before they load it up???

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
So the current situation is that we've found a replacement in the shop currently located at the Dallas service center but the new complaint I have with this company is that they will now only allow me to take delivery there which is 3 hours away. WTF! it's not in anyway my fault that they didn't check the first one before shipping it and I guess I'm considered "that customer" so if I want one now I'll have to drive but still pay the $1,800 destination fee that's supposed to bring it to my house. Why not just train your staff to inspect a car before they load it up???
I feel for you. I had to drive early 8 hours (including 3 charging stops) to get to the Phoenix Service Center for warranty repairs. A rock cracked my windshield and I had to paid nearly $2k to had it replace after waiting 6 months because of parts shortages.

Tonka

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Rivian R1T R1S In what world are these types of paint issues acceptable on new R1S? 716FDD61-4BEF-4855-8E24-2D2378B29E2B

What’s funny is the girl that did our first mile at the Dallas center end of January said she’d personally made deliveries to shreveport which is 198 miles on goggle maps.

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Update:

I discovered the S is now at the body shop. It was trailered there, which is nice. I decided to call the shop just to ask their opinion on these issues. The guy I spoke with isn't a tech, just an advisor, but he was super nice and said a lot of these issues are not acceptable, however he did say the seam sealer is normal. I completely understand use of seam sealer is normal, but it shouldn't be in clearly visible places. I asked to elaborate which areas he thought were normal, and he said the areas around the taillights were typical seam sealer. I find that really hard to believe, or if they are seam sealer I find it difficult to accept these are normal spots to have such clearly visible "globs". Keep in mind the spots where I pulled back some of the trim are perfectly visible without doing so, and you can clearly see the "globs" around the edges of the taillight housings from the outside of the S. He was empathetic, however, and even offered for me to come to the shop next week to go over it with him. He said the tech that typically works on Rivians is out sick this week, so they can't even estimate it until he gets back. I plan to go down there Tuesday just to get a different perspective.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
716FDD61-4BEF-4855-8E24-2D2378B29E2B.png

What’s funny is the girl that did our first mile at the Dallas center end of January said she’d personally made deliveries to shreveport which is 198 miles on goggle maps.
"We spent too much money trying to deliver you a POS, so you get to make up the difference."

What a joke.

Tonka

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Update:

I discovered the S is now at the body shop. It was trailered there, which is nice. I decided to call the shop just to ask their opinion on these issues. The guy I spoke with isn't a tech, just an advisor, but he was super nice and said a lot of these issues are not acceptable, however he did say the seam sealer is normal. I completely understand use of seam sealer is normal, but it shouldn't be in clearly visible places. I asked to elaborate which areas he thought were normal, and he said the areas around the taillights were typical seam sealer. I find that really hard to believe, or if they are seam sealer I find it difficult to accept these are normal spots to have such clearly visible "globs". Keep in mind the spots where I pulled back some of the trim are perfectly visible without doing so, and you can clearly see the "globs" around the edges of the taillight housings from the outside of the S. He was empathetic, however, and even offered for me to come to the shop next week to go over it with him. He said the tech that typically works on Rivians is out sick this week, so they can't even estimate it until he gets back. I plan to go down there Tuesday just to get a different perspective.
Maybe normal around taillights on Rivian but not other makes

Sponsored

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Was this a R1 Shop vehicle or your normal reservation. I too am concerned but will wait and see when delivery is set up. Suppose to be 4-6 weeks and is in transit from Normal to Arizona SC. I will inspect the vehicle thoroughly and keep the group updated on this thread as well. My Vin # is 8100 range.

What happens if you refuse delivery?

Horrible that you have to deal with it, keep your chin up.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Was this a R1 Shop vehicle or your normal reservation. I too am concerned but will wait and see when delivery is set up. Suppose to be 4-6 weeks and is in transit from Normal to Arizona SC. I will inspect the vehicle thoroughly and keep the updated on this thread as well. My Vin # is 8100 range.

What happens if you refuse delivery?

Horrible that you have to deal with it, keep your chin up.
This was my normal reservation. If you refuse delivery I believe they assess whether your refusal was justified or not. If not, you lose your reservation and get a refund, otherwise you get put back in the queue for a build or Shop access.

Tonka

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So mine was not the original order I'd been bumped from oct 2022 to "processing estimate" and no clue when it was going to come. I got access to the shop almost immediately after the first mile drive that I requested and selected a launch green that my wife really liked beginning of Feb. but it was a 2022 model and that was an issue for me so we were unmatched from that within an hour. So after that the guide called and had a similar build but with the ppf like my original order that was coming off the line and she was assigning it to me. That vehicle ended up being the one I rejected delivery of last week with the junky paint repair on the passenger side doors. After some back and forth Rivian conceded that it was not up to spec and they reissued access to the shop Wednesday where I just selected the most bang for the buck to put an end to this whole process.

The new shop R1S is a white launch with ocean coast and 22"brights for $75,500 which is completely different from the last which RUS and A/T wheels but it's never going offroad and I want to be done before they cut my trade value for a 2nd time.

Last edited:

Tonka

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This was my normal reservation. If you refuse delivery I believe they assess whether your refusal was justified or not. If not, you lose your reservation and get a refund, otherwise you get put back in the queue for a build or Shop access.
They told me they'd never had someone reject one so they weren't sure how to handle it. They did tell me after that it was in review to see if it met spec and if so they were going to cancel my order and refund purchase price and reservation deposit

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Officially at the one month mark. My R1S has been in service twice as long as it's been in my possession. Yes, we have a loaner R1T, but it's not the same. I called the body shop today. They still haven't even looked at it. They're hoping to get a quote to Rivian tomorrow.

This is absurd.
Sponsored