In search of the best hitch-mount bike rack for R1S

dfacto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Research Scientist
OK, I think that's probably causing your issue(Using the paclock). To be honest you don't need to use the pin at all, once it's tightened and the lock is engaged there's no chance it's coming out. But here's some pics of what I'm talking about.

If you use the pin instead of your paclock between the adujustment range of the pin and the fact that it's slightly smaller diameter will allow you to space the rack out plenty to get clearance so you. don't need the tape.
This is the Adjustment I'm talking about, the red knob on the right. If you back it out you don't need to insert the rack as far.
Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.57.56ā€ÆPM.png

IMG_3115.jpeg

This is the gap you end up with and it won't touch for sure. I've had three bikes on here driving them back and forth from the Bay Area to Salt Lake.

IMG_3117.jpeg

Here's the size difference to the full size hitch pin and the gap you get.

IMG_3119.jpeg

Hope that helps.
Makes total sense. Thank you so much for detailed explanation and pics!

What are your thoughts on theft without using a hitch pin lock? I removed the Quikr pin altogether and use my paclock because the rack itself is $700 and would be an easy score...if not for the hitch tightener lock...which I worry even a non-lockpickinglawyer could Bic pen pick in seconds.
Sponsored

Russya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, BMW X5M, 2024 Polestar 2 RWD
Occupation
Med Device Regulatory
Well, I don't keep my rack on very often when I'm not using it because of how it interferes with the sensors. As for the theft side, I look at it as a crime of opportunity. So basically, what are the chances that when those few times I have my rack on without a bike will someone happen to come by with the skills and tools ready to steal my rack and they find a moment that there isn't anyone around to see them do it... For me that's almost never. If my bike's on it, they're taking the bike or just parts off of it as my bikes cranks or brakes or wheels are worth way more than the rack and are easier to carry. Even if I lock my bike on it securely, the bikes cranks can be taken off with one Allen wrench and they're worth double the rack, thrown in the cost of the pedals and it's triple the rack. So I've never worried about it. Sorry about the delay, been a bit busy

dfacto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Research Scientist
Well, I don't keep my rack on very often when I'm not using it because of how it interferes with the sensors. As for the theft side, I look at it as a crime of opportunity. So basically, what are the chances that when those few times I have my rack on without a bike will someone happen to come by with the skills and tools ready to steal my rack and they find a moment that there isn't anyone around to see them do it... For me that's almost never. If my bike's on it, they're taking the bike or just parts off of it as my bikes cranks or brakes or wheels are worth way more than the rack and are easier to carry. Even if I lock my bike on it securely, the bikes cranks can be taken off with one Allen wrench and they're worth double the rack, thrown in the cost of the pedals and it's triple the rack. So I've never worried about it. Sorry about the delay, been a bit busy
I hear ya; all valid points. For me, the concern is more when I'm biking and my car is parked on the side of the road. Probably I'm just over worrying though. I just love my Quikr rack and don't want to donate it. šŸ˜›

I looked at the quikr promo video and their captive safety pin and rack depth matches yours so I definitely think you're in the right.

Russya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, BMW X5M, 2024 Polestar 2 RWD
Occupation
Med Device Regulatory
Well I can tell you that replacing that rear bumper(if it got scuffed or whatever) is around $1900 with the bumper itself being 940.50(recently had mine replaced). But you do have a valid point.

Iā€™d say itā€™s much safer than the regular 1up which just relies on an Allen wrench with a hole in it, but less secure than your current setup. Though, if someone has the skill and tools to pick the lock on the quikr what are the chances that skillset and tools stop just shy of the paclock? You mentioned the lock picking lawyer, that guy is getting either one open in a minute or two. Just food for thought, I honestly think youā€™re fine either way, but will enjoy using the rack more if you use the pin insteadā€¦. Unless someone steals it, then youā€™ll be cursing that dumb guy on the internet. Lol

OP
OP

J-Flo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Well, based on the good info above and my own requirements I ordered a Quikr Mach II rack with three add-ons so that I can have a 4 bike rack on demand. I have to wait until mid-March for it to arrive. Will report then.

I did notice that my XC bikeā€™s handlebars are already only about 2-3ā€ from the top rear of the R1S on my current Kuat NV rack. That rack is almost 10 years old and getting a bit floppy, and I can see a mark where the bars have occasionally bumped into the truck when hitting bumps and such. I expect tolerance will be even tighter on the Quikr but that the bike will move less.

Sponsored

HopefullyR1S

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Occupation
SAHD
I am late to this thread; we have the Thule Pro XT with extra 2 bike kit, so 4 total.
It has a hitch lock and individual bike locks as well, FWIW.

I can install and load up with bikes and post pictures if anyone wants to see it.

It is a fantastic rack and would be a 10/10 but it is so heavy it is a 7/10. It is really heavy.

Does anyone know what/if there is a range reduction when hauling bikes on hitch rack?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does anyone know what/if there is a range reduction when hauling bikes on hitch rack?
Depends on the bike. Really long full suspension bikes where the tires peek out from the side of the vehicle a lot will reduce range slightly. Road bikes don't seem to make a difference in my testing.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I have used a Kuat NV 4-bike rack for a decade. Itā€˜s been a great rack, but the tailgate on my R1S hits the empty rack in flat position (unlike my old Land Cruiser), I donā€™t like how it blocks the reverse camera, and besides the old rack is beat up and needs replacing.

I like to leave the rack on most of the time, so itā€™s important to me to be able to put the rack in flat position with no bikes then open the hatch and tailgate to load/unload. This worked on the NV and I could stand between two of the bike support trays to access the back of the vehicle (which wouldnā€™t work with the rack in the lowest position).

Iā€™ve considered most of the options out there and they all seem to have some drawbacks, except perhaps the QuickrStuff Quick Rack https://quikrstuff.com/.

This seems to be a new-improved refresh of the 1Up rack (itā€™s designed by the inventor of the 1Up rack) that is US-made and solves some of the 1Upā€™s issues. Main drawbacks seem to be that itā€™s expensive and relatively heavy. Does anyone have a Quickrstuff Rack? If so, please share impressions and fitment pics!

I like the Quickrstuff design because I think it wonā€˜t block all of the rear camera, it has all the advantages of the 1Up, and itā€™s super-easy to add/remove the extra bike add-ons (which I will only need occasionally) via a tool-free process that takes less than 60 seconds. But they are a new company, require payment two months before delivery (theyā€™ve had a slow and painful start up process), and I donā€™t want to drop over $2k on this rack unless Iā€˜m sure.

I know that most racks can fit with a swingaway add-on option, but having used that in the past I donā€™t like it due to the extra weight and length/floppies it adds to the system. I am going to leave the two-bike attachment on the truck most of the time so need this to be a compact system that doesnā€™t interfere much with city parking.

Now that the 1Up patent has expired there are many racks hitting the market that use the same excellent concept, grabbing only the front and rear tires to hold the bike down on a tray. RockyMounts and Yakima to name a few (the RockyMounts one looks very good) but none of them seems like it would fit the way I want. Kuat Piston also looks like a great rack but itā€™s going to block my camera, removing/installing extra trays will more of a project, it will be even more expensive than the Quickrstuff, and thereā€™s no room to stand between bike trays.

i might just get a 1Up but those are a pain to operate with 4 bikes and the ratcheting system is a bit clunky (weā€™ve had two of them in the family). Thoughts?

I ended up down a rabbit hole and it made me sad

If you ended up with one of Cal Phillips designs I hope it was the QuikrStuff

1Up ousting Cal Phillips

OP
OP

J-Flo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
I ended up down a rabbit hole and it made me sad

If you ended up with one of Cal Phillips designs I hope it was the QuikrStuff

1Up ousting Cal Phillips
Yes, I ordered the Quikrstuff Mach 2. They have a backlog, and my estimated ship date is March 1. Since I already have a working (albeit imperfectly) rack Iā€™m willing to wait.

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
This the Piston Pro X without the Hi Lo extension.

Rivian R1T R1S In search of the best hitch-mount bike rack for R1S IMG_6145

Rivian R1T R1S In search of the best hitch-mount bike rack for R1S IMG_6146

Rivian R1T R1S In search of the best hitch-mount bike rack for R1S IMG_6147

Rivian R1T R1S In search of the best hitch-mount bike rack for R1S IMG_6149

Rivian R1T R1S In search of the best hitch-mount bike rack for R1S IMG_6148

Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Anyone try a RockyMounts SplitRail LS?
https://rockymounts.com/products/splitrail-ls.html

I've got one that I've been using on my Model 3. I got it in part because it was really low and can be extended to 4. But it seems like they are sold out right now. I'm wondering if they're stopping production and I should get two Add-ons while I still can:
https://rockymounts.com/products/splitrail-add-on.html

But, I'd want to know if it was going to work on the R1S before buying.

I've found it to be very solid. I'm not worried about it rusting out or anything before I do. I like the built in cable locks, but I have only used it a few times. My oldest child is nearly 4. So, it's going to be a few years before I really need a full size bike carrier off the back for them.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
The link you posted says this: (Discontinued 12/31/23, Add-Ons and Parts available through 2030)
Good catch! It doesn't show that on the Add-on page. I guess I won't be in as much of a hurry. That's actually pretty awesome of RockyMounts. That certainly puts them on the shortlist for any other related purchases.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

This the Piston Pro X without the Hi Lo extension.

IMG_6145.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

IMG_6147.jpeg

IMG_6149.jpeg

IMG_6148.jpeg
Which carpet mats are you using? Donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen one other than Canvasback that covers the moving 2-piece tailgate part. Yours look good.

The Piston Pro X looks good too. Do you have link?

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
Which carpet mats are you using? Donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen one other than Canvasback that covers the moving 2-piece tailgate part. Yours look good.

The Piston Pro X looks good too. Do you have link?
Itā€™s the Liner X cargo mat cut into 3 pieces. Itā€™s attached with Velcro strips from Amazon. No issues in 5 months at all. The original mat has that flap that sticks up.
https://linerx.com/products/linerx-...dtkWacFt--LPFqEBqks6nuLNbUvOmv4xoC48cQAvD_BwE
Sponsored