Sponsored

I just got an r1s recently but i am very bummed to find out that there is a refresh with lots of improvements coming

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Don't expect there will be any significant new features, mostly just cost cutting to help get them to profitability. Just enjoy your new Rivian and don't worry about Internet rumors.

WhisperPickle

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Will they offer a retrofit for new feature?
people, chill out about the refresh and do a bit of research. Majority of changes are internal and designed to improve production.

like Tesla, majority of features will be applied via software to current models.

Per RJ: “80% of the new features will be backwards compatible with current models. The remaining 20% require new hardware”.

Per Wassym: New hardware is updated suite of sensors and cameras and non-backwards compatible features are updated Driver+ system and Summon function.

Other hardware changes:
-removal of tow hooks
-redesigned (slightly smaller) headlight and fog light units
-redesigned side mirrors
- minimal front grille changes
-smoked light bar option
-piano black lower bumper
-new wheel options
-updated wireless phone charger
-addition of slate and evergreen color options
-removal of forest green interior

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 24 R1S (El Cap)
Occupation
Content Creation & Real Estate
Clubs

There will be a better version of the R1 in a few years, ready for your next vehicle. It’s a never ending upgrade cycle. You’ll have a great vehicle nevertheless!
Yeah, there'll be a few more features but it's not really going to be worth replacing your existing R1. These upgrades are mainly meant to reduce cost/ complexity and keep the product relevant and give a little Spike in demand until R2.

I'm actually looking forward to a lot of the software updates. A lot of the big updates I speculate are going to coincide with rivian charging for premium data plan.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Wonder if the “smaller” headlights won’t ice up as much?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There is always something “new” on the horizon. Your current S is still like a spaceship compared to 90% of the vehicles on the road today. Just enjoy it for what is IS and stop worrying about may be in a “refresh”.

Sponsored

Hayseed_MS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
There is always something “new” on the horizon. Your current S is still like a spaceship compared to 90% of the vehicles on the road today. Just enjoy it for what is IS and stop worrying about may be in a “refresh”.
Agreed. I have the luxury of not needing a new car now so I can wait to see what is there, If nothing then I can look at my options then. You want to buy from a company that is always changing/improving.

There is always something coming and FOMO should not be a way of life...

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
👍🏼

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Be cautious of what you wish for. The refreshed R1 may lose some features since the purpose of the refresh is to reduce production cost.

Brian

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Wow, first world problem. Did you think they'd never refresh the R1?

Here's a tip, don't buy a smartphone/TV/computer ever. There's always going to be a newer/better/smarter/faster one round the corner.

Jeez...
Sponsored