I hope Rivian can eventually target more middle class consumers

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
That number seems low to me. Assuming 12000 miles per year and 25mpg (national average) and 0.38 gas tax in TX (.18 fed, .20 state), that comes out at $182. Which is closer to the $200 for EVs.

I remember hearing that Illinois wanted an additonal $1000 per year for EV registrations.
According to this article I am wrong: average is $103... not $102.
I remembered wrong.

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/01/20/...ric-hybrid-vehicles-is-a-good-idea-for-texas/

Also interesting to see that average state fee (for those that charge it) is $120, which seems more reasonable even if it does also ignore the higher initial sales tax on BEVs.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That number seems low to me. Assuming 12000 miles per year and 25mpg (national average) and 0.38 gas tax in TX (.18 fed, .20 state), that comes out at $182. Which is closer to the $200 for EVs.
The $103/yr is only the tax paid to Texas, not the total fuel tax. Federal tax would be in addition to any tax or fee levied by the State.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
The $103/yr is only the tax paid to Texas, not the total fuel tax. Federal tax would be in addition to any tax or fee levied by the State.
Agree but that is the portion that’s relevant for comparison to the proposed $200 in annual “tax” to Texas.
I think that’s why even the authors of that article, who write in support of the law, concede that a lower amount than $200 “would be more equitable.”

As I started with my first post on this topic, I’m not against any contribution for use of roads. I’m not one of those who complains about paying taxes ... and immediately complains also about unrepaired potholes in our public roads.
I do want it to be an equitable share though and one that doesn’t result in deterring early adopters in what I truly believe is generally a good transition for our environment.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Agree but that is the portion that’s relevant for comparison to the proposed $200 in annual “tax” to Texas.
Sorry if it wasn't clear but that was my point exactly. I was responding to @azbill because his calculation was including both State and Federal fuel taxes.