Sponsored

How to store a R1 at healthy SOC% for months?

tusharparmar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I am looking for suggestions to store my R1S at healthy SOC% for months and avoid any adverse impact on the vehicle or battery.

FYI: It will be sitting in garage with L2 charging available.

Edit:
This is what Rivian support told me,
"Leaving it plugged in and not driving it for several months would have a negligible effect on the battery life. We'd recommend storing it plugged in, or at a moderate state of charge. When parked, the vehicle uses some power to maintain battery health."

Just curious to know if there is more to aware of that Rivian didn't mention.
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Plug it and set the SOC to 50%. Should be good to go.

OP
OP
tusharparmar

tusharparmar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That sounds very similar to what Rivian mentioned over chat.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
I think one other thing to point out is that if the car is going to be sitting that long, hopefully someone can stop by every once in a while and drive the car around? A car sitting around for months straight without the tires being exercised is going to develop flat spots. Basically, that'll ruin your tires if the car isn't driven at least a little.

DetroitRed

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition
Occupation
Engineer
I think one other thing to point out is that if the car is going to be sitting that long, hopefully someone can stop by every once in a while and drive the car around? A car sitting around for months straight without the tires being exercised is going to develop flat spots. Basically, that'll ruin your tires if the car isn't driven at least a little.
Storing a car for a matter of months won't hurt the tires. They might develop flat spots, but those will roll out on the first drive after storage and the tires will be fine. This is based on my experience storing cars over winter.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Storing a car for a matter of months won't hurt the tires. They might develop flat spots, but those will roll out on the first drive after storage and the tires will be fine. This is based on my experience storing cars over winter.
Agreed, I store my boat in late Sept and don't usually move it till the following June.. it sits in the same position for 9 months. The trailer tires do develop flat spots... but they usually roll out in a mile or two upon first use in the spring. I've had the same trailer tires since 2012, so I can attest to the fact that no damage is done providing the tire pressure is maintained. Now if you let them go flat and the full weight of the boat plus trailer is sitting on a collapsed sidewall.. you will eventually damage the tire.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm right down the road from you. Just leave it with me and I'll drive it around for you mate! Seriously though, I don't see the difference between shipping it overseas (sitting for months) and leaving it in your garage. I second what Rivian and others have said.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Only thing I would do additionally is set it to 50% and use scheduled charging to just charge it during a small period every day.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Anybody compared camp mode off to shipping mode for drain? I can't believe rivian says it uses battery to maintain battery health.

Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
we snowbird and left our R1T in our winter home garage for 4 months this summer. We kept it plugged in @ 50%. No issues that we could see when we returned a couple of weeks ago.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
we snowbird and left our R1T in our winter home garage for 4 months this summer. We kept it plugged in @ 50%. No issues that we could see when we returned a couple of weeks ago.
Did you leave it on the L1 or the L2 EVSE?

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

Make sure you plug it in or you will come back to a dead battery. My R1T vampire drains about 1-2% per 24 hour period, even with everything disabled.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Plugged in and 50%, as others have said, and your battery will be fine. I'd be more concerned about the tires.

We keep a car at our other house and it's not used 4-6 months/year. As an ICE, I usually do a fresh oil change a few weeks beforehand and park it with a full load of fresh gas + fuel stabilizer. It also sits there on a battery tender to protect the 12v. For the tires, I'll inflate them 2-4 PSI over the recommendation to help prevent flat-spotting. If I get a chance to get out there in between I'll try to reset cold tire pressures and drive it 10-20 miles before tucking it back in. No reason for a Rivian to be much different other than no oil change and no fuel stabilizer.

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired