First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I wonder if these percentages hold true with the road tires as well. Like maybe the gap is even closer with more efficient tires.

OP
OP
branden

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - many EVs in past
Occupation
EV charging deployment
I wonder if these percentages hold true with the road tires as well. Like maybe the gap is even closer with more efficient tires.
Probably pretty close. This test is more about aero than anything else.

Bborden

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Digital Marketing & Data
Hey! Were you in the Millbridge community in Waxhaw a few days ago? I saw a RB R1T in the neighborhood and it made me sad b/c I’m still waiting for mine but happy to see one around

Sponsored

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
Fun video to watch, thanks for sharing and driving all of those miles. I’m sure this has been posted elsewhere, but for those that haven’t learned this yet, the drag the motors have to overcome is affected by 1/2 the square of the airspeed of the vehicle. In still air the number that goes into the equation at 60 mph is 1800. At 80 mph the number would be 3200. You can see the equation here: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/drageq.html

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

Thanks for the real-world info! So, compared to 60mph, the R1T loses 15% at 70mph, and 24% at 80mph.

The numbers are pretty close to what I'd expect from experience with past EVs. In 2010 I made this chart on Tesla Roadster range-versus-speed (with HVAC thrown in). It shows that the Roadster lost 18% at 70mph and 30% at 80mph. It probably (?) lost a higher percentage to aero than the R1T because it was more efficient to start with.

Rivian R1T R1S How Much Does Speed Impact Range? Testing Rivian R1T at 60MPH, 70MPH and 80MPH teslarange

(The top, dark-green line is expected range at the given speed with no HVAC. The shaded area below it shows how much range can be reduced at that speed given various levels of HVAC - the HVAC's relative effect grows smaller at higher speeds as the aero hit grows and the time spent running HVAC shrinks. Note that the Roadster had a resistive heater and an option to take the top off - so it could use a lot of HVAC energy).

In 2012 I did something similar for the Tesla Model S. It lost 15% at 70mph and 27% at 80mph.

Rivian R1T R1S How Much Does Speed Impact Range? Testing Rivian R1T at 60MPH, 70MPH and 80MPH modelsgraph

Last edited:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

So, my takeaway is drive faster and get to the next charger sooner! It will take less time to add the kWh lost due to speed than what it will take to get to the charger with less kWh used. Plus you charge faster at a lower SoC.

this is all thrown out the window if the next charger is 300 miles away.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
So, my takeaway is drive faster and get to the next charger sooner! It will take less time to add the kWh lost due to speed than what it will take to get to the charger with less kWh used. Plus you charge faster at a lower SoC.

this is all thrown out the window if the next charger is 300 miles away.
Yep. This is a helpful reminder when planning trips where you have 250 mi between chargers and you wring your hands about whether you can make it or not. Just account/plan for slower speed and you can just about always make it. Also, a lot of more remote driving will be at lower speed limits anyway. Add in drafting behind a truck and I think you can squeeze out 375+ going 60. There's a big difference just driving on a congested freeway vs. all alone (going same speed in both).

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So another way to look at this is 16 min faster to travel the same distance at 80 mph and 7.8 kWh difference. Real-world, you'll take on 7.8 kWh in a shade over 3 minutes at 150 kW. So unless you're really range-constrained on a particular route, you'll still save time by traveling faster. Thanks for doing this, @branden!

Sponsored

OP
OP
branden

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Hey! Were you in the Millbridge community in Waxhaw a few days ago? I saw a RB R1T in the neighborhood and it made me sad b/c I’m still waiting for mine but happy to see one around
Must’ve been someone else

OP
OP
branden

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV charging deployment
So another way to look at this is 16 min faster to travel the same distance at 80 mph and 7.8 kWh difference. Real-world, you'll take on 7.8 kWh in a shade over 3 minutes at 150 kW. So unless you're really range-constrained on a particular route, you'll still save time by traveling faster. Thanks for doing this, @branden!
I actually added charging and total trip time to the spreadsheet I have linked in the pinned comment of the video

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
Yep. My general rule of thumb is "never sacrifice driving experience to gain marginal efficiency..." - whether that's Conserve mode (sacrificing ride quality/power/tire wear), slowing down (sacrificing timeliness), etc... "...unless it's necessary to comfortably reach your destination" (e.g. if chargers are too widely spaced to keep a comfortable buffer without mitigations.)

You'll almost always be better off (in terms of time and comfort) just charging a few extra minutes than scraping and saving to preserve a few kWh en-route. Naturally this gets more complex with towing, extreme weather, or extended off-road, but I think the rule above still holds.

From my experience with Tesla, my minimum "comfortable buffer" was around 25-30% (assuming a full-range run), since my Tesla range could easily vary by that much. As I get to know the Rivian I'm much closer to 15-20%, and only that high because I want to keep above 10% for battery health unless necessary.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Fun video to watch, thanks for sharing and driving all of those miles. I’m sure this has been posted elsewhere, but for those that haven’t learned this yet, the drag the motors have to overcome is affected by 1/2 the square of the airspeed of the vehicle. In still air the number that goes into the equation at 60 mph is 1800. At 80 mph the number would be 3200. You can see the equation here: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/rocket/drageq.html
Don't want to hijack the thread, but have a couple of questions regarding this calculation. In the referenced equation, is variable A the frontal area? If yes, if you were towing, could you include the incremental frontal area of the trailer to get the drag number for the vehicle and trailer combo?

OP
OP
branden

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Yep. My general rule of thumb is "never sacrifice driving experience to gain marginal efficiency..." - whether that's Conserve mode (sacrificing ride quality/power/tire wear), slowing down (sacrificing timeliness), etc... "...unless it's necessary to comfortably reach your destination" (e.g. if chargers are too widely spaced to keep a comfortable buffer without mitigations.)

You'll almost always be better off (in terms of time and comfort) just charging a few extra minutes than scraping and saving to preserve a few kWh en-route. Naturally this gets more complex with towing, extreme weather, or extended off-road, but I think the rule above still holds.

From my experience with Tesla, my minimum "comfortable buffer" was around 25-30% (assuming a full-range run), since my Tesla range could easily vary by that much. As I get to know the Rivian I'm much closer to 15-20%, and only that high because I want to keep above 10% for battery health unless necessary.
I agree with that philosophy - on stretches that I may need range, I’ll run in conserve for the efficiency gain (I need to test to see how much of a difference it actually makes!) but set the height to standard to not sacrifice ride quality. Not really missing much by having less power while driving on the interstate.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.