How many ordering Launch Edition ?

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
I was wondering how many people are opting for the Launch edition and how that might affect order status ? I have to wonder how many of this first edition they are putting out in 2021 and if not enough folks order this one if some of us with higher order #'s might move up in line if we go for this model ? I am guessing this won't happen anyway so maybe its a pointless question but I would still like to know. Also from what I have seen in the configurator $75K is a pretty fair price for these options (relatively speaking after I sell everything I own).
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I configured a Launch Edition.
Not sure what I'll actually order.

What options can be added to an "Explorer" and at what cost will determine what I select. There are some things I definitely want that are part of the "Adventure" trim, some are meh. If I can add the "must haves" at a lower overall cost, I'll likely go that route.
The LEs main attraction to me is the free wheel upgrade. I'm very reluctant to lock in on the 21s and have no replacement tire choices other than the Rivian specific Pirellis at ~$500 each. Don't particularly want the AT tires that come on the 20s, but also don't want the "performance" 22s with the lower range and other drawbacks.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I configured a Launch Edition.
Not sure what I'll actually order.

What options can be added to an "Explorer" and at what cost will determine what I select. There are some things I definitely want that are part of the "Adventure" trim, some are meh. If I can add the "must haves" at a lower overall cost, I'll likely go that route.
The LEs main attraction to me is the free wheel upgrade. I'm very reluctant to lock in on the 21s and have no replacement tire choices other than the Rivian specific Pirellis at ~$500 each. Don't particularly want the AT tires that come on the 20s, but also don't want the "performance" 22s with the lower range and other drawbacks.
I did email Rivian about an AS option for the 20s & would encourage everyone else to do the same. If they hear from enough people, it just might happen. If not, I think it's worth seeing how the ATs work...it's not a very aggressive tread pattern at all, so they might be better than expected.

Hexijen

First Name
Caley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Glacier/Ocean Coast, 20AT, Offroad
Clubs

I am ordering the launch version for now, despite desperately wanting the larger battery pack. I am late to the party in terms of preordering, and I was thinking about how this would effect the ordering priority. Some thoughts:
  • Some people will not pull the trigger when it comes time to buy, even if they preordered for 1k and selected the launch edition
  • Some number of people who preordered early will opt to wait to save money and get a lower priced Explore package
  • Some number of people who preordered early will opt to wait to get access to the higher battery pack
  • Some number of people who preordered early will take this opportunity to reevaluate their choice of brand and defect to Hummer, Tesla, etc
  • Depending on how many launch editions are ordered, and what Rivian's cap is, we do not know if Rivian intends to be done producing launch editions by December 31st, 2021. Even if they intend it, we do not know if delays will pop up
It is impossible to say how many people will fall into each bucket, but no matter what, the decision to split the launch edition options up means that if you select a launch edition, your position in the line will improve

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
I was wondering how many people are opting for the Launch edition and how that might affect order status ? I have to wonder how many of this first edition they are putting out in 2021 and if not enough folks order this one if some of us with higher order #'s might move up in line if we go for this model ? I am guessing this won't happen anyway so maybe its a pointless question but I would still like to know. Also from what I have seen in the configurator $75K is a pretty fair price for these options (relatively speaking after I sell everything I own).
When I spoke to RIVIAN yesterday they said their goal was to get all the Launch Edition Cars out in 2021.

Sponsored

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
I have the LE configured. I really want/need the 400+ battery due to no charging options where I live. I'm not sure where I will end up yet.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I configured the Launch Edition but there is no way I am actually buying it.... I am holding out for the 400 mile option on the R1S. I also want the black out wheels which didn't show as an option at all on the R1S. I think it will be "fun" to see what other options are added to the configurator in the coming months.... Tow Package, Roof Rails, and will they bring back the electrochroamatic glass...?

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I configured the Launch Edition but there is no way I am actually buying it.... I am holding out for the 400 mile option on the R1S. I also want the black out wheels which didn't show as an option at all on the R1S. I think it will be "fun" to see what other options are added to the configurator in the coming months.... Tow Package, Roof Rails, and will they bring back the electrochroamatic glass...?
Electrochroamatic glass on the McLaren is $9500 for a ballpark figure.

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Talked to a rep via chat today and they said the electro-chromatic glass was canceled.

Rivian R1T R1S How many ordering Launch Edition ? Screenshot_20201117-162259_Chrome

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I originally configured an Adventure Edition with the max battery and upgraded to the “dark” 20” AT wheel/tire package. I *really* want the 400 mile battery, and was willing to wait for it, but cutting $13,500 off of the price ($10k for max battery and $3500 wheel/tire upgrade) and getting it sooner swayed me back to the LE. Reconfigured today for the LE in white ext, black int, 20” AT wheel package.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

I think im going with the LE R1S. I’ve had 2 Teslawith 300-350 mi range and have no qualms with their range. But, charging network will be weaker at launch for sure. Still, I expect it to be improving with every day that passes.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I have been planning for the 400 mile pack, but since LE was 300 mile, I went with that. If both were available on day 1, I might have gone with the 400 mile pack, but a 6 month wait and $10k is enough to convince me I don't need it. Most weeks, I drive less than 25 miles. My range for a day trip into the mountains is between 100 and 150 miles round trip, and the most common weekend trips I take are between 200 and 250 miles round trip. Probably twice a year on average, I will go someplace that puts me outside the 300 miles round trip range, and usually those places are more than 400 miles round trip anyway. I just need one Rivian high speed charger about 200 miles away from here, and another 200 miles beyond that.
Sponsored