How Long to Charge on Trip While Using Nav

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Maybe I'm missing something, but when I'm on a road trip, I put in my final destination to the nav system. It then calculates where I need to stop and charge and in the list of turn by turn instructions, it will say that I need to charge for xx minutes at the charger. That's great. However, when I arrive at the charger, I get a prompt on the nav to continue the trip. There's no indication of how long I need to charge. Am I missing something or is this a software improvement opportunity?

On my Tesla, once I started charging, the nav system would count down how long I needed to charge as well as displaying the anticipated charge level at the next destination. I could then decide if I wanted to add a bit extra for a safety factor or not.
Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Does not appear to be a feature in Rivian navigation yet. I find myself asking my wife, how long were we supposed to be charging?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I tend to ignore those “how long to stop” features. If I’m stopped to fast charge I like to take advantage of the charging curve and stay til I hit at least 80% (or wherever the curve drops on a given vehicle). Might not be “optimum” but I find it costs very little time in practice and gives a cushion for the rest of trip. Here in the southeast we generally don’t have the luxury of multiple DCFC choices anyway so I like to make the most of the stops.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I tend to ignore those “how long to stop” features. If I’m stopped to fast charge I like to take advantage of the charging curve and stay til I hit at least 80% (or wherever the curve drops on a given vehicle). Might not be “optimum” but I find it costs very little time in practice and gives a cushion for the rest of trip. Here in the southeast we generally don’t have the luxury of multiple DCFC choices anyway so I like to make the most of the stops.
If you stay below 80% most BEV seem to fast charge at about 1C. Going from 20 - 30% to 80% is, thus, going to take a half hour or a little longer. That's just about how long it takes to hit the loo, get a sandwich and eat it and stretch the legs a bit.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
If you stay below 80% most BEV seem to fast charge at about 1C. Going from 20 - 30% to 80% is, thus, going to take a half hour or a little longer. That's just about how long it takes to hit the loo, get a sandwich and eat it and stretch the legs a bit.
Exactly my point. Hitting the curve drop off adds little, if any, practical time to a stop.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I think it shows the time when it first displays the route but then never again - which is dumb. that being said agee with others - unless you're really trying to optimize i let it go until i see it really starting to drop off (and in know i have more than enough to make it to the next two chargers on my route)

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
First rule of charging - if you're at a charger and it's working and delivering near or greater than the power you'd expect at the next charger, just stay there. You never know what can happen on the way to the next one, if the next one will even be working, if the 350kw will be occupied, etc etc. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

The initial guide on charging times is mostly meant to give you an idea of total charging time for the entire trip first and foremost, but you can call audibles on how much you get at each stop (within range limits), and absolutely should continue the planning process throughout the drive. For example, the computer has no idea of wind speed and direction. Before and during the drive, you should use tools such as the Windy app to check what the wind conditions will be on the route and how they might affect the original plan to a significant degree.

OP
OP
bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Don’t disagree with any of the above comments, but frequently when doing a road trip, it is faster to do a splash and dash to get to the next charger rather than sitting and waiting for it to get to 80% (or higher). Given the state of some charging networks, I do agree with the comment about taking advantage of a working charger.

I’m coming for the Tesla Supercharger network where I no concerns about a working charger so that was driving some of my behavior. I do check Plugshare to verify next charger seems to be working.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I am about to do my first long road trip starting Tuesday, and I didn't realized this shortcoming existed. While I don't disagree with the points made above regarding just taking the buffer while you're already at a charger, it sure would be nice if Rivian gave a little more data so we knew exactly when we should start thinking "ok, do I want to leave now so that I can end up with a faster charging rate at the next stop?" Yeah, we might be taking a chance on charger availability, but why not show us the calculation?

I hope this is added. I'm totally fine having SW features "missing" in the truck today, but I really really hope they plan on adding stuff like this. The lack of any sort of "vehicle status" information is a little disappointing too. The Lightning shows you battery temp, torque to each motor, and so on. Even my Etron shows more information in some cases (like instantaneous energy consumption - in the unit of my choice). I just hope Rivian hasn't got to this yet, and they're not trying to follow some "less is more" idea. Given the trip meter was a last-minute add-on though, I remain hopeful for the time being.
Sponsored