Sponsored

How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
After just posting the above comment, I thought more about it and maybe the problem is the APU. From what I have read the R1S wheelbase is shorter than the R1T by 14 inches, so probably the APU needs to sit up higher, on top of the tail end of the battery pack. That takes away from the third row floor space. I bet that is the reason they cannot fit the 180 pack into the R1S and keep the third row.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
After just posting the above comment, I thought more about it and maybe the problem is the APU. From what I have read the R1S wheelbase is shorter than the R1T by 14 inches, so probably the APU needs to sit up higher, on top of the tail end of the battery pack. That takes away from the third row floor space. I bet that is the reason they cannot fit the 180 pack into the R1S and keep the third row.
APU? Are you perhaps referring to the inverter? That is an integral part of the motor assembly (on top).

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
APU? Are you perhaps referring to the inverter? That is an integral part of the motor assembly (on top).
I realize the diagram I posted is really rough and not a real design document, but I assumed the APU is where they show it in the diagram - between the battery pack and the rear wheels on the R1T. Since there is less space between the rear wheels and the pack in the R1S, they have to make the battery pack smaller to fit the APU behind it and keep the floor flat. See the photo below that seems to show the APU (or maybe the inverter) behind the pack and at the same level as the pack.

Whatever it is, it is clearly not a battery in that space. And if they move the wheels closer together, it has to go somewhere. I think originally it was going to go on top of the rear of the pack, which would mean there is no foot room for the rear seats. When many people complained about the lack of a third row, I think Rivian heard the complaints and determined the third row is more important than fitting the largest pack into the R1S.

Just speculation, and maybe they will find a way to fit the 180 pack in the R1S.

Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? 1621351933886

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
See the photo below that seems to show the APU (or maybe the inverter) behind the pack and at the same level as the pack.
It’s not an inverter. The inverters are on top of the motors, hence the 2 DC high-voltage cables going up there. It’s either a charger (probably not) or some other kind of battery management system. The Chevrolet Bolt has a BMS controller built into the pack in a similar fashion.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I realize the diagram I posted is really rough and not a real design document, but I assumed the APU is where they show it in the diagram - between the battery pack and the rear wheels on the R1T. Since there is less space between the rear wheels and the pack in the R1S, they have to make the battery pack smaller to fit the APU behind it and keep the floor flat. See the photo below that seems to show the APU (or maybe the inverter) behind the pack and at the same level as the pack.

Whatever it is, it is clearly not a battery in that space. And if they move the wheels closer together, it has to go somewhere. I think originally it was going to go on top of the rear of the pack, which would mean there is no foot room for the rear seats. When many people complained about the lack of a third row, I think Rivian heard the complaints and determined the third row is more important than fitting the largest pack into the R1S.

Just speculation, and maybe they will find a way to fit the 180 pack in the R1S.

1621351933886.png
Ok, I see the disconnect here. That patent (and accompanying diagrams) references components that don't actually exist in the LE Rivians and may never actually exist in any Rivian product. To my knowledge there is no Auxillary Power Unit (APU) in the production R1S/T.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
We know from other information that the larger pack in the R1T will take up the space beneath the back seats. The extra 45 kWh of cells will be on top of the main skateboard. I assume the problem with the R1S is that there's not as simple a place to stack the extra cells because they want to preserve the ability to lay all the seats flat.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

This probably isn't what most want to read or see, but...
Here are screenshots of the R1T and R1S platforms on the Rivian site (likely the 135kw pack in each) You can see that the R1T has the room to spare for the additional pack (APU) but the R1S is constrained in how it accommodates the APU. This is likely why they refer to the R1S being a "longer range" version rather than calling it 400+

Perhaps the reason for the delay in the R1S long range launch is due to some minor platform revision to allow for the 3rd row seating, or they managed to get the range they specified long ago @ 250, 300, 400 miles respectively, but the packs are more efficient and are no longer the previously advertised size in Kw hence the change in pack name to "standard pack, Large Pack, MAX PACK".

Edit * I reference APU in this post just because others got on that train, The different sized packs are likely all one piece and not modules outside the main pack. That being said, It has been referenced a couple of times long ago that the MAX PACK would compromise space in the r1T under the rear seats, but having reached out to CS a few times on this issue, they said they made it work without compromising any storage space under the seats or gear tunnel. Taking it with a grain of salt until I see it in writing on their site, but fits in line with the photos below, and my speculation on the packs having less capacity, but still delivering the same range due to advances in algorithms etc.

R1T
Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? 1621360804471

R1S
Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? 1621360829207

Last edited:

Wanderer

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Etron
Road & Track's comment re: range:

"Rivian is making bold claims about the range of its trucks. The automaker says the 105-kWh R1T will do over 230 miles on a charge, the 135-kWh will do over 300, and the 180-kWh will do over 400 miles. The R1S betters each of those figures by 10 miles. We'll have to wait for EPA-certified numbers to know for sure, but these are impressive numbers"

My point is that Rivian came out with these numbers and got pub throwing it out there & it still remains in the Auto Industry's largest magazines.....the counter, which is that the range has been pulled back, has received no pub.

So.....my earlier point remains (I have a deposit down for a R1S and given my extensive experience with EV's, I want the higher range....300 at highway speeds often becomes 240 or less so a 400 would provide 320 or more.....and that's without the other factors of elevation, wind, temp, weight, etc.)
Sounds like your experience is with Tesla. My experience (etron) is that stated range more or less equals Highway range (often I get more). That’s been true for most other modern evs and I expect the same from Rivian. It’s the only range that matters.

Of course that is a baseline of 75+ degree temps. I don’t understand how people up north deal with winter range loss.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like your experience is with Tesla. My experience (etron) is that stated range more or less equals Highway range (often I get more). That’s been true for most other modern evs and I expect the same from Rivian. It’s the only range that matters.

Of course that is a baseline of 75+ degree temps. I don’t understand how people up north deal with winter range loss.
The EPA range rating is combined city and highway. BEVs have worse range driven at a steady 75 mph than the rated EPA range. The only exception would be for a vehicle the automaker has significantly under reported the EPA test cycle range. Maybe your Etron is an example of that, like the Tycan. But normally, that is not the case, and I will be shocked if the stated range from Rivian is equivalent to highway range.

In fact, I think that is impossible based on the current technology in use. The 400 mile R1T will likely have 162 KWh of usable battery capacity (90% of 180) and on the highway it will be hard for the big brick to achieve 2 mi/kWh. So from 100% charge to 0% charge (which almost nobody will do) your maximum highway range will be 325 miles. Which is actually great, so I doubt it will be that great. In the winter or when it is raining, you might get 1.5 mi/kWh or less, which is 243 miles of range.

In reality if Rivian is able to do 2 mi/kWh on the highway with the largest pack, it will have the one of the longest highway range BEVs in the market, not including Lucid. Do we count Lucid yet? ;-)

Sponsored

Wanderer

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Etron
The EPA range rating is combined city and highway. BEVs have worse range driven at a steady 75 mph than the rated EPA range. The only exception would be for a vehicle the automaker has significantly under reported the EPA test cycle range. Maybe your Etron is an example of that, like the Tycan. But normally, that is not the case, and I will be shocked if the stated range from Rivian is equivalent to highway range.

In fact, I think that is impossible based on the current technology in use. The 400 mile R1T will likely have 162 KWh of usable battery capacity (90% of 180) and on the highway it will be hard for the big brick to achieve 2 mi/kWh. So from 100% charge to 0% charge (which almost nobody will do) your maximum highway range will be 325 miles. Which is actually great, so I doubt it will be that great. In the winter or when it is raining, you might get 1.5 mi/kWh or less, which is 243 miles of range.

In reality if Rivian is able to do 2 mi/kWh on the highway with the largest pack, it will have the one of the longest highway range BEVs in the market, not including Lucid. Do we count Lucid yet? ;-)
I get 2.4-2.6mi/kWh at Highway speeds, which is an extrapolated range over 200 miles and equal to epa range. And that is for the least efficient EV on the market, as it was retrofitted from an existing platform.

I’m expecting the R1S to achieve similar efficiency, basically the offset of better engineering but a larger form factor. At 2.4mi/kWh you only need 125 kwh useable battery to hit 300.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My experience with Tesla is that I get a bit more than the EPA rated range as shown on the graph below. Readers need to understand what the rated range number means. It is an estimate of what the car will do if driven under conditions similar to those in the EPA protocol and in a way similar to that simulated in the protocol. I have found that if you do that you will realize or best the rated number. If you do not drive it in such fashion you should expect to get augmented or reduced performance and understand why. If most of your driving is on freeway at 75 - 80 mph in cold weather then expect performance appreciably less than the EPA rating and don't blame the manufacturer. He did a set of tests following EPA direction and EPA approved his results. The EPA tests blend numbers from low speed and high speed runs but the high speed run does not approach 75 to 80 by any means. At higher speed consumption goes up as its square.
Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? IMG_3332EAD57484-1

The graph is from data collected by Stats from all models of Tesla that use this app. The guy won't tell me how many cars that is but the gaussian appearance of the curve tells us its enough that central limit theorem applies (I'd guess its a few thousand). It's clear from the graph that some appreciable number of drivers realize or exceed the rated performance. It's also clear that the average driver gets about 90%. This varies with season (weather) and what you get in a given season depends on where, how and when you drive. Some of those things are under your control more than others.

Now the point of this is not to respond to the Tesla bashing so much as it is to point out that there is going to be a similar picture for the Rivians whatever size battery you wind up with. Rivian is going to have to do the same set of test runs and calculations and will have to satisfy EPA that they have met their requirements. Some of you will get better range than what the EPA ratings promise and some worse. Most likely the guys getting less than the EPA number will grumble but so it goes.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is why steady state, 75 mph highway range will always be worse than slower, around town range on a BEV. A BEV can be designed like a bullet to reduce aerodynamic drag, and drive on metal wheels to reduce rolling resistance, and then maybe it will have similar highway range. But nobody will buy it because it will look like a bullet and drive like a freight car.

Thankfully the Rivian is not designed like a bullet. But there are consequences...

Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? 1622296397396

Original study if you are interested. Great information about wheel ventilation resistance.

https://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/176302/176302.pdf

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I get 2.4-2.6mi/kWh at Highway speeds, which is an extrapolated range over 200 miles and equal to epa range. And that is for the least efficient EV on the market, as it was retrofitted from an existing platform.

I’m expecting the R1S to achieve similar efficiency, basically the offset of better engineering but a larger form factor. At 2.4mi/kWh you only need 125 kwh useable battery to hit 300.
I think it will be hard for the Rivians to be as efficient as your Etron given their size and weight. But maybe they will be. I hope so. Maybe Rivian could actually release real range estimates instead of their general ratings. They say the results are being validated, but I don't think they need to be validated before Rivian releases them. Rivian knows the range, so why are they not sharing?

Wanderer

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Etron
I think it will be hard for the Rivians to be as efficient as your Etron given their size and weight. But maybe they will be. I hope so. Maybe Rivian could actually release real range estimates instead of their general ratings. They say the results are being validated, but I don't think they need to be validated before Rivian releases them. Rivian knows the range, so why are they not sharing?
The e tron weighs more than a Ram 1500 at like 5,700 lbs curb weight. Both Rivians are about 5,800lbs so pretty close.

Rivian has released their range estimates, it’s 300 miles. The EPA might be different, just like John Doe’s might be different.
Sponsored