Sponsored

How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel?

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Anyone have any intel on the longer range R1S coming in 2022? I know it wont have the "Max Pack" but anyone know how much longer than the "300+" for the LE? Anyone have any info or speculation?

I think I read that RJ said they were getting 335-ish from the R1S test beds in real world driving. Would a longer range model only be 375-400ish?

Thoughts? (I am trying to decide to stay with LE or wait for the longer range model)
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
They said they would release more information about that closer to launch, so I wouldn’t worry about it for a couple of months or so. Of course inquiring minds want to know.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well 300+ means its under 350, from a marketing perspective those numbers go in batches of 50. If we assume the worse, 300 for the 135( the large pack), that's about 2.2 miles per 1kw, if we multiply by 180 ( the long range ) we get 400. But we add the extra weight of the battery ( and time to condition ) I think it is fair to say we are expecting a range of 350 to 375.

rickydsc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Honda Clarity Touring
Occupation
Retired
I've seen a few estimates of 308 to 310 for the 135 large pack, from Rivian reps. But those go back a year or so; I'm hoping those numbers have improved over the past year.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Well 300+ means its under 350, from a marketing perspective those numbers go in batches of 50. If we assume the worse, 300 for the 135( the large pack), that's about 2.2 miles per 1kw, if we multiply by 180 ( the long range ) we get 400. But we add the extra weight of the battery ( and time to condition ) I think it is fair to say we are expecting a range of 350 to 375.
I believe Rivian has stated the longest range R1S will not have the 180 pack. It will be smaller, because they need the floor depth so the third row can fold flat. Only the longest range R1T will have the 180 pack.

Also, the usable capacity will be less than 135 and 180. I have assumed the usable capacity will be about 90% of the full battery capacity.

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I have been following this closely and I don't believe Rivian has said anything officially since pulling the 180 kWh 400+ mile pack off the table back in November.

For historical accuracy - Originally the 105 kWh and 135kWh versions of the R1S came with 7 seat capacity. The 180 kWh R1S only came with 5 seat capacity as the extra batteries filled the third row footwell. This was the company line since they were announced back in 2018.

In November Rivian announced a delay with the longer range R1S. This is a bit confusing because they dropped reference to the actual battery sizes at the same time as announcing the delay. 135 kWh became large pack and 180 kWh became Max Pack. I've attached a screenshot of the announcement when it was made back in November. All it says is a longer range R1S will be announce later so it is pure speculation to assume it will be less than 400+ miles. It could have said a 400+ mile range R1S would be announced at a later date.... but it didn't. This lead people to believe it would be something less than 400 miles.

I personally think that they worded the announcement that way to give themselves some wiggle room in case they have trouble with the redesign. I am still very hopeful that the Max Pack R1S will still be 400+ miles but only time will tell.

Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? RivianBatteryAnnouncement

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Battery range is just a number. real world range is predicated on a myriad of factors; temperature, heavy foot, road conditions,etc. so in truth it’s really an arbitrary number few people ever get in real life driving.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Battery range is just a number. real world range is predicated on a myriad of factors; temperature, heavy foot, road conditions,etc. so in truth it’s really an arbitrary number few people ever get in real life driving.
Sure, but with those myriad factors equal, a 180kwh pack will still equate to ~33% more range than the 135kwh pack. I personally won't need the extra range but I can see why others might choose to wait.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
All it says is a longer range R1S will be announce later so it is pure speculation to assume it will be less than 400+ miles. It could have said a 400+ mile range R1S would be announced at a later date.... but it didn't. This lead people to believe it would be something less than 400 miles.
Yes, a bit of speculation but also driven by information from CS. Rivian has clearly pivoted to set the expectation that the future R1S "Max" pack will offer less than 400 miles of range. It also appears their intent now is to provide the same battery options for both 5 and 7 seat variants instead of allowing the 5 seater to provide more range than the 7 seater which is a significant departure from their original product announcement.

posted 11/14/2020:
I spoke with Kyle from chat and he said they aren't sure they can fit 180kw pack in the R1S with 7 seats but it will be a larger pack than the 135kw. They just haven't decided on how large the pack can be. Maybe something changes and they fit in 180kw pack for 7 seats. That is what I would opt to get.
posted 11/17/2020:
Just had a conversation with someone over chat on the longer battery for the R1S, and this was the response:

"I can also confirm that we currently no longer have plans to offer the 400+ battery pack option for the R1S at this time. We do plan to announce more on a larger battery pack than the 300+ option currently available (this time including the option for the 7-seat interior) as well as a 250+ option after production the Launch Edition vehicles begin, but it's likely not going to be the 400+."

He clarified that plans to announce after production begins does not mean they will be immediately available.
posted 11/18/2020:
I bugged Emma with a few questions today.
Q.has the 400 mile been canceled for the RIS,
postponed, or will it get a different max pack
than the RIT [350-400mile range]?
A. That I can answer! They are waiting until next
year to offer a longer range battery pack for the
RIS. They have not shared the exact mileage for
that yet. Nothing has been cancelled though,
they wanted to only begin with the launch of the
extended 300+ range and get those out first.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Yes, a bit of speculation but also driven by information from CS. Rivian has clearly pivoted to set the expectation that the future R1S "Max" pack will offer less than 400 miles of range. It also appears their intent now is to provide the same battery options for both 5 and 7 seat variants instead of allowing the 5 seater to provide more range than the 7 seater which is a significant departure from their original product announcement.
I also reached out to CS back on November 12th when the announcement was made and got a similar answer but nothing specific about what would eventually be offered. I was just trying to convey that there is no firm answer as to what the R1S Max Pack will be. I won't be surprised if it's less than 400 and I won't be surprised if it's rated at 400+..... I will be very surprised if it's more than 400+

Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Would be nice to get the 180kwh pack without the third row

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Would be nice to get the 180kwh pack without the third row
That combination plus the huge frunk was what originally piqued my interest in the R1S. And then they went and decided not to offer either at launch.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The fact that they backed off from promising 400+ now - or at any time in the future - is pretty good indication it is off the table.

I also can't see them engineering different vehicles for the various 5/7 seat and pack size possibilities. Manufacturing efficiencies will dictate a single variant with the ability to equip with 5 or 7 seats. While shipping initially with the "Large Pack", something like an "XL Pack" is the likely option to be offered later (pretty clear the Max Pack won't fit). ~375 miles for +$7,500 instead of the ~400 miles for $10K?

They could probably produce a dedicated 5 seat only Max Pack version engineered for that specific configuration, but not likely as a near term offering.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Should be same or very close to the R1T. They've had the same range numbers listed since unveil prior to the configurator.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Someone else may have said this before, but it would be nice to see the MaxPack still offered with three-row seating for those who want to haul seven people the 400-mile range (or whatever the maximum is) and don't mind the lack of storage space.
Sponsored