Sponsored

How inconvenient is the manual tonneau cover (Rivian, Interrobang, etc.)?

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

Hi all,

I've been holding off with completing my R1T purchase (pre-hike reservation holder) until the powered tonneau cover is reintroduced because I believe it will be far more convenient for my personal use case. I'm imagining two inconvenient scenarios:

1) I plan to regularly carry mountain bikes above the bed on the cross bars while pulling a trailer. I don't expect I'll be able to drop the tailgate, so I'm fearing the manual tonneau covers will be a big inconvenience because I won't be able to access stuff in the bed while hooked up to the trailer. If I wasn't going to be carrying the bikes, then it'd be obvious to just get a tri-fold tonneau and move on with life, but the tri-fold is likely the worst option for me since I believe I'll pretty much always have the cross bars on.

2) I'm fearing the inconvenience of having to fish stuff out of the far back depths of the bed with the manual cover. I suppose I could just remove the first panel and slide the rest enough to get access to the back, but is this a big pain?

I'm not in a huge rush so have been willing to wait for the PTC, but to add to this story, I've been in contact with two different Rivian CS agents who both told me that Rivian will not be honoring the pre-hike pricing on the new version of the PTC. They are claiming the new PTC is an "accessory" now since it will be sold through the Gear Shop, and that Rivian's commitment to honor pre-hike pricing was only for the vehicle/options, and not items in the Gear Shop. It's a ridiculous position, because they are honoring pricing on the manual tonneau cover that is sold through the Gear Shop, so I'm really not convinced I'm getting the correct info from the CS agents, but it's all I have to go on at the moment......

So.... If you have a manual tonneau cover.... How inconvenient is it (if at all)? Am I concerned about something that won't be a big deal in the end? Do you wish you had the PTC?
Sponsored

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
How about a soft (rollup) tonneau cover?
I know it has its drawbacks but would not fit your use case much better?

Probably others will tell you that if you have pre-hike price get the T as early as you can. This way you can enjoy it for a longer time hence have a better quality of life for longer :)
Tonneau covers are important but having the truck is more importanterer(er) :D

FWIW: I have no cover right now (even though I bought covers day one for all of my previous trucks)
And I cannot be happier with my R1T.

I will get a cover eventually for this truck as well but I do not feel the urgency anymore.
Ant the reason is that I think the gear tunnel is often overlooked (if you are using a regular truck and have not used R1T yet).
It helps a ton to mitigate the missing cover (for small/medium items that is). Combined with the rear underseat storage and the (lower) space under the frunk and I have all the space I needed for all the junk I had rolling in my old trucks' bed all the time. Now I only need the bed for big items (or bicycles) which are transported only from A to B hence can be uncovered for the trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enjen

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

How about a soft (rollup) tonneau cover?
I know it has its drawbacks but would not fit your use case much better?

Tonneau covers are important but having the truck is more importanterer(er) :D
Thanks for the reply and perspective. I've considered a roll-up but haven't been able to find anyone that can confirm if it can still roll with the cross bars on. I'd also prefer the bed be secure, but agree that a roll-up could potentially be a reasonable compromise.

You're right, gotta keep the importanterer(er)(er) things in mind. :)

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

When the PTC was removed, I think most, including myself, suspected the discounted pricing would no longer be valid.

I have the Rivian manual cover, and while not as robust as the interrobang, it works well and looks good. I would say both are annoying when having to remove briefly, or just take out and store for a one off activity, especially if multiple times a week.

Fortunately I don't tend to store things long term in the bed, so removing it to store in the gear tunnel for most of the summer months isn't a big deal. The bag also conveniently fits my Rivian bike pad quite well, so my gear tunnel is clutter free.

Will I get the PTC retrofit when available? 50/50. If it's 4 or 5k Canadian doll hairs, then probably not. But my wife and I both agreed that it's integration makes it far more useful.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I think @Chrisy is right on: don't let perfect be the enemy of good. I had reserved a truck with the PTC, but accepted one from the shop a year ago. I've really enjoyed the truck and gotten good use out of the bed, both covered and uncovered. I have the interrobang cover and like it a lot, but I don't have the same use case as you so my experience doesn't apply.

All that to say: I would not wait for the PTC - get the truck and enjoy it, there's enough to like about it to compensate for having to put up with a less-than-ideal tonneau situation

Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Not yet, I put a net at the back of the bed, the vertical one like the back of an SUV. When I pickup a new TV, I'll just slide them out, stack them, velcro them together and put in the gear tunnel (Interrobang). If I plan on using the bed for a bit, I won't put it back on. Seems pretty simple, but maybe I'm off, first pickup for me.

Nsblifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid Touareg
In a similar situation amongst other things but I’d be willing to pay for it. Impending comments “pre price hike reservations really shouldn’t be honored anymore” or “I suspect Rivian is going to give you a deadline” etc.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think your first scenario would be a giant PITA unless you can figure out a way to drop the tailgate with your trailer attached. I say that because it helps to have the flat surface of the open tailgate to stack the tonneau pieces in its case when removing/installing. I don’t tow at all, but surely there must be a workaround.

#2 is no big deal. Like you said, just remove a panel or two if you need to get access.

I’ll add that I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the quality of Rivian’s manual solution after some of the complaints from others. As long as you’re somewhat careful when removing that first panel, I don’t see any issues and it’s nice to have the warranty to fall back on.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have the Rivian manual cover and given your description of what you want, I think you might get frustrated with any of the manual hard covers.

You can release the cover at the tailgate and slide it back a little without removing it all the way (I have done this to reach the tie-down anchor in the front corners), but if you slide it back more than the width of 3/4 of a slat you would need to pull it completely out. I’ve done this a few times as well, removing 1-2 slats and I don’t find it that bad (I just set them on the tailgate), but you know what you want…

Sponsored

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
The pin that connects to release cable is broken, I will mfg a 304 stainless pin assy .

Problem solved

Apatel323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

The tonneau cover is designed to store in the gear tunnel when removed and doesn’t really fit anywhere else. So keep in mind that the gear tunnel will need to have space if you need to remove.

OP
OP
Enjen

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

The tonneau cover is designed to store in the gear tunnel when removed and doesn’t really fit anywhere else. So keep in mind that the gear tunnel will need to have space if you need to remove.
Hmmm... Surely the panels fit lengthwise in the bed, no?

logan

First Name
logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
tl;dr IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it

I have the interrobang and I do use it while towing in addition to other trips depending on what I'm carrying. I also have a cargo net with tarp too. Just depends on what I'm carrying and how far.

For a dump run or short trip with random stuff in the back I'll use the cargo net. Especially for things that would be taller than the manual cover. For a longer trip where I want everything secured and hidden for stops (e.g. luggage and other valuables) I'll use the manual cover.

For #1, it has not really been an issue for us. Even with our last diesel we couldn't get to things in the back when the trailer was attached. In both cases we just filled the back with luggage and supplies we would not need until we unhooked. Everything we needed while driving we put in the frunk or gear tunnel. If anything it is easier since the R1T has the other easy access secure and out of sight storage locations. R1T is pretty flexible storage wise.

For #2, you can do this and I do. When traveling with the trailer even after disconnecting there are usually some things I leave in the back under the tonneau. Often the biggest hassle is that I have mostly unloaded it and there is that one or two items way back there. I either do as you said or just use something else to fish it out.

I guess FWIW I find the manual cover just fine and it does not take up much space in the gear tunnel or all that long to install or remove. That said I'll add the powered tonneau cover later just for the extra convenience. I wouldn't wait for it though especially given it will be offered as a retrofit option.