Home Charging Question

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I apologize, because I'm sure this question has been asked before, but after reading through the various posts, I'm more confused than ever and just need a simple answer to a couple of questions. I have a Tesla and for the last three years have charged it from a 30-amp dryer outlet in my garage. I have a R1T coming soon, and I may or may not keep the Tesla, so I need to make some charging changes. Questions are:

1) I don't need high charging speeds, so should I just add a NEMA 14-50 outlet to my garage to charge the R1T with the mobile charger (similar to how I charge the Tesla on the 30-amp outlet)?
2) Alternatively, should I buy a Tesla charger and use it to charge both vehicles, if indeed it can charge both (I have no need to charge the vehicles at the same time and would prefer just one charger)?
3) Alternatively, should I buy a Rivian charger to use on both vehicles, again, assuming this is possible?
4) Should I buy some other charger that is capable of charging both vehicles?

Appreciate any insight others are will to share.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I apologize, because I'm sure this question has been asked before, but after reading through the various posts, I'm more confused than ever and just need a simple answer to a couple of questions. I have a Tesla and for the last three years have charged it from a 30-amp dryer outlet in my garage. I have a R1T coming soon, and I may or may not keep the Tesla, so I need to make some charging changes. Questions are:

1) I don't need high charging speeds, so should I just add a NEMA 14-50 outlet to my garage to charge the R1T with the mobile charger (similar to how I charge the Tesla on the 30-amp outlet)?
2) Alternatively, should I buy a Tesla charger and use it to charge both vehicles, if indeed it can charge both (I have no need to charge the vehicles at the same time and would prefer just one charger)?
3) Alternatively, should I buy a Rivian charger to use on both vehicles, again, assuming this is possible?
4) Should I buy some other charger that is capable of charging both vehicles?

Appreciate any insight others are will to share.
If you are going through the effort to add a nema 14/50 outlet you should just have them run a 60 amp circuit and hardwire a charger. You can use Rivian or any other J1772 charger and purchase a J1772 to Tesla adapter to charge the Tesla. I use one of these to charge my Model S. You can get a Tesla charger as well and purchase a Tesla to J1772 adapter but more vehicles use J1772 so I would do that.

Any of the options you have above are possible, so depends on budget.

moondog417

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, R1S
Occupation
Education
If you’re already charging via a 10-30 outlet and don’t need to charge faster, just buy a Level 2 EVSE (output to J1772) and it will charge any EV. They’re about $200 on Amazon.

If you are going through the effort to add a nema 14/50 outlet you should just have them run a 60 amp circuit and hardwire a charger
This would also be an option, much more elegant, give you faster charging if you ever need it, and depending on your State or electrical company might come with a significant rebate.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
If you’re already charging via a 10-30 outlet and don’t need to charge faster, just buy a Level 2 EVSE (output to J1772) and it will charge any EV. They’re about $200 on Amazon.

This would also be an option, much more elegant, give you faster charging if you ever need it, and depending on your State or electrical company might come with a significant rebate.
Does anyone know off hand if California and/or PG&E offer the rebate on a fast charger?

Crc83

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance
Any idea how much faster the rivian home charger is than just using the 14-50 NEMA mobile charger? I’ve always used the 14-50 with my model Y and is more than fast enough since I just charge overnight.

Sponsored

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
Any idea how much faster the rivian home charger is than just using the 14-50 NEMA mobile charger? I’ve always used the 14-50 with my model Y and is more than fast enough since I just charge overnight.
I'm seeing quite slow speeds using the Rivian mobile charger. I have a 14-50 installed on a 50amp breaker that for 3 years has charged my Model X at 23mph using Tesla's mobile charger pulling about 32amps. With Rivian's mobile charger I'm getting 8mph. Trying to dig into why and for starters it appears Rivian has a governor built into the unit which restricts to 32amps. But must be something else happening to result in such slow charging speeds.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Depends entirely on the circuit you hardwire the Rivian charger to. You need a 60 amp circuit in order for the Rivian charger to deliver at the max 48 amps. That will deliver up to 48 amps on a 240 volt circuit or up to 11.5 kW (240 x 48 = 11,520). Rivian says that is good for about adding 25 miles of driving per hour of charging, although its sounds like most new owners are achieving slightly less than that.

A 14-50 NEMA outlet is only a 50 amp circuit. That means you can only charge on the circuit at 40 amps. However, the Rivian mobile charger is further limited to 32 amps. Plugging the mobile charger into a 14-50 outlet will get you 32 amps and 240 volts or up to 7.6kW (240 x 40 = 7680). Rivian says this is good for adding up to 16 miles of driving per hour.

There is nothing magical about the Rivian box. Electrical codes just don’t let you use an outlet for a 60 amp circuit. You need to hardwire the Rivian charger to a 60 amp circuit if you want to max out at 11.5kW.

Last edited:

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Your Rivian will charge at half the rate of the Tesla. If you have time of use electrical pricing it might be challenging at times to stay within a lower price window using a 30 amp circuit. Also, charging at 11 mph may be problematic if you forget to charge.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Personally I'd avoid using the mobile charger long term as I don't think those receptacles are designed for lots of plugging and unplugging.

See example here:

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
If you are going through the effort to add a nema 14/50 outlet you should just have them run a 60 amp circuit and hardwire a charger. You can use Rivian or any other J1772 charger and purchase a J1772 to Tesla adapter to charge the Tesla. I use one of these to charge my Model S. You can get a Tesla charger as well and purchase a Tesla to J1772 adapter but more vehicles use J1772 so I would do that.

Any of the options you have above are possible, so depends on budget.
Thank you for this. It's extremely helpful. I'll either get the Tesla Charger or the Rivian Charger. More than likely I will always have a Tesla of some sort. If I go with the Tesla charger and use an adapter to charge the Rivian, is there any downside to doing that versus getting the Rivian specific charger?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A 14-50 NEMA outlet is only a 50 amp circuit. That means you can only charge on the circuit at 40 amps. Plugging the mobile charger into a 14-50 outlet will get you 40 amps and 240 volts or up to 9.6kW (240 x 40 = 9600). Rivian says this is good for adding up to 16 miles of driving per hour. If you install the Rivian charger to a 50 amp circuit, you will get the same results as the mobile charger. There is nothing magical about the Rivian box.
Although a NEMA 14-50 is good for 40A continuous, the Rivian mobile charger is limited to 32A.

EMcritDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson
Does anyone know off hand if California and/or PG&E offer the rebate on a fast charger?
Not sure about PGE but SMUD will not give any discount/reimbursement (normally $500 for charger and $500 towards install) because it is too big (only for 40amp line/32 amp box). You could install one of the smaller boxes like juicebox etc and get the rebate.

Also, california has a $2000 rebate for electric vehicles... That RIVIAN doesnt qualify for because it weighs too much (by like 34 lbs) and is not sold by a "qualifying dealer"

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Can anyone confirm that:

1) When using a Tesla Wall Charger to charge a Rivian (using an adapter) you can still use scheduled charging (e.g., plug the truck in when you get home at night and it automatically starts charging at the scheduled time to take advantage of lower rates)?

2) Conversely, when charging a Tesla with the Rivian charger/other level 2 charger using an adapter, you can still use scheduled charging with the Tesla?

If scheduled charging doesn't work when using an adapter, I think I'd be better off installing a 14-50 and using the dedicated mobile chargers for each vehicle respectively.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Beware, once you drive the Rivian, you’re going to forget about the Tesla.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Can anyone confirm that:

1) When using a Tesla Wall Charger to charge a Rivian (using an adapter) you can still use scheduled charging (e.g., plug the truck in when you get home at night and it automatically starts charging at the scheduled time to take advantage of lower rates)?

2) Conversely, when charging a Tesla with the Rivian charger/other level 2 charger using an adapter, you can still use scheduled charging with the Tesla?

If scheduled charging doesn't work when using an adapter, I think I'd be better off installing a 14-50 and using the dedicated mobile chargers for each vehicle respectively.
There would be no reason it would not work. The adapter just changes the pins on the connector.

I do not use the in car schedule for my Tesla but I have the wall unit set to only charge off peak using an adapter for the Tesla and works fine.
Sponsored