Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Dumb question from a guy coming from a car with almost no tech: Can you just shut off all this stuff off (lane centering, lane departure warning, etc.) and just ride on cruise control or adaptive cruise control?

Neither my 2011 nor 2014 vehicles have any of that stuff. Not even adaptive cruise control.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Dumb question from a guy coming from a car with almost no tech: Can you just shut off all this stuff off (lane centering, lane departure warning, etc.) and just ride on cruise control or adaptive cruise control?

Neither my 2011 nor 2014 vehicles have any of that stuff. Not even adaptive cruise control.
You can (almost) always use ACC. You are never forced to use Highway Assist and you can turn off all lane departure features.

I say almost because I had a situation where I could not get the ACC to engage due to heavy fog.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician

My brother just had an accident, because he has neck problems and cannot turn easily to look to blind spot, and hit car in front of him. The blindspot monitor reduces the need to turn and look, and probably would have avoided this mishap that totaled his 2005 Prius. All those other features are helpful also, and you will learn to enjoy having them.

The one issue that can be irritating is with the adaptive cruise control, you may find yourself going well below the speed limit as you follow someone on a multilane highway that is going below your desired speed. But it is easy enough to pull around them, and your vehicle will resume your desired speed.

These newer features are not going to drive the vehicle for you, but may make you safer for times when we all mess up!
Sponsored