First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
@fastwheels When highway assist is engaged, does it also include active cruise control? Or are they separate modes?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
@fastwheels When highway assist is engaged, does it also include active cruise control? Or are they separate modes?
They are separate modes, but Highway Assist will fail to ACC.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Exactly what Jared said!

I put on nearly 600 miles this weekend - odometer topped 1000 today. ACC is somewhat flaky - especially when passing trucks (a few times it randomly dropped 3-4 mph halfway past a semi) and also sometimes drops a few mph quickly in the middle of a long gentle curve (no other traffic).

Mostly HA and ACC work well. I would sure like an option to have traditional cruise control also...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@OutofSpecKyle differentiated between Driver+ and Lane Keep Assist in a video I watched.

Can someone lay out Driver+ functionality versus Lane Keep & Adaptive Cruise? Can you use Lane Keep with Adapative Cruise, and how is that different than what you get with Driver+ on mapped roads?

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
@OutofSpecKyle differentiated between Driver+ and Lane Keep Assist in a video I watched.

Can someone lay out Driver+ functionality versus Lane Keep & Adaptive Cruise? Can you use Lane Keep with Adapative Cruise, and how is that different than what you get with Driver+ on mapped roads?
I've not watched that video yet, but all I have found on the truck so far is ACC and Highway Assist. HA is basically ACC that also keeps you in the lane. It requires that you keep at least one hand lightly touching the wheel. I do not think it is looking at your eyes to ensure you are watching the road. It will not change lanes, and has limited support based on the road you are on.

Last edited:

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Lane Keep is just a nudge to get you back. Only works with CLEARLY marked lanes and edges. Also has audible, visual, and haptic feedback on an engagement. Too aggressive IMHO and I only use audible feedback.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
How does Rivian "map the roads" for use with Driver+? Do they upload data from Rivian vehicles?
I use my Tesla enhanced autopilot a lot on road trips and am curious about how long it will be before Rivian has all major corridors mapped.
Of course, they could accomplish a lot of mapping before my R1S is delivered in 2024. ?

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse

I second these questions. Rivian’s website is clear that this is a “hands-free driving experience” so the comments about one hand on the wheel confuse me. The site essentially describes Cadillac Supercruise so that’s what I was hoping for. Is it just a limited mapping issue?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I second these questions. Rivian’s website is clear that this is a “hands-free driving experience” so the comments about one hand on the wheel confuse me. The site essentially describes Cadillac Supercruise so that’s what I was hoping for. Is it just a limited mapping issue?
No. As of now, there is no mode in which hands free is allowed. Once the driver attention camera is enabled, I suspect they will shift to hands free with Highway Assist.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I've heard several times that Driver+ function (auto steer) is only available on those highways that have been "mapped". Isn't this tech just relying on cameras and the road lines? I currently drive a Tesla, and the "auto steer" works on nearly all streets. I just assumed it was cameral work....perhaps Im wrong? Or is it that Teslas are more plentiful so more roads have been mapped by existing drivers?
You have it right with what AUtopilot does. Driver+ highway assist is using their camers+GPS+pre-mapped system to approach it in a different manner. The downside is they seemingly haven't also adopted the more common lane centering approach. The plus side is it should do a better job navigating in poor conditions and avoiding falling for exits and gores.

I believe he also differentiated between lane centering (basically driver+).

Driver+ Highway Assist is lane centering+ACC. So basically the same behavior you expect from Autopilot, Bluecruise, supercruise, copilot 360, pilot assist, etc. The confusion is that Rivian limited highway assist to *only* premapped roads under certain conditions, just like blue cruise and super cruise. The latter two come with hands free and hard (like Driver+) based on LiDar mapping. WIthout mapping, you get the systems most of us are used yo like copilot 360, pilot assist, autopilot that "just" tries to center the car in the lanes. Rivian has not enabled a version of highway assist that enables this without mapping.

Lane keep, as @godfodder0901 noted is a safety feature to nudge you back into your lane if you unintentionally cross over the lane.

Sponsored

tobyringle

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You have it right with what AUtopilot does. Driver+ highway assist is using their camers+GPS+pre-mapped system to approach it in a different manner. The downside is they seemingly haven't also adopted the more common lane centering approach. The plus side is it should do a better job navigating in poor conditions and avoiding falling for exits and gores.

I believe he also differentiated between lane centering (basically driver+).

Driver+ Highway Assist is lane centering+ACC. So basically the same behavior you expect from Autopilot, Bluecruise, supercruise, copilot 360, pilot assist, etc. The confusion is that Rivian limited highway assist to *only* premapped roads under certain conditions, just like blue cruise and super cruise. The latter two come with hands free and hard (like Driver+) based on LiDar mapping. WIthout mapping, you get the systems most of us are used yo like copilot 360, pilot assist, autopilot that "just" tries to center the car in the lanes. Rivian has not enabled a version of highway assist that enables this without mapping.

Lane keep, as @godfodder0901 noted is a safety feature to nudge you back into your lane if you unintentionally cross over the lane.
Thank you all so much for the additional information! Very much appreciated!

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The confusion is that Rivian limited highway assist to *only* premapped roads under certain conditions, just like blue cruise and super cruise. The latter two come with hands free and hard (like Driver+) based on LiDar mapping. WIthout mapping, you get the systems most of us are used yo like copilot 360, pilot assist, autopilot that "just" tries to center the car in the lanes.
The Mach e actually does a decent job of lane centering even without Blue Cruise. You can use Ford's lane centering in the Mach e even on roads not mapped for Blue Cruise. The main difference between the driving experience with and without Blue Cruise is whether or not a hand is on the wheel or not.

It sounds like the lane centering in a Rivian only works on highways according to the reviews.

In other words... I don't think Driver+ is comparable to Blue Cruise at this point. In fact, it's not even comparable to the non Blue Cruise driver assist features Ford offers since u like Rivian, Ford lets you utilize the features on any road with decent lane markings. Ford also adjust speeds by reading speed limit signs on regular roads if desired.

Driver+ is essentially a less functional version of Ford's non Blue Cruise driver assist features.

That's disappointing. From what I'm seeing, Rivian's lane centering doesn't actually steer the car and keep it in the center of the lane ver well... And it won't even attempt to do this on regular roads.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The Mach e actually does a decent job of lane centering even without Blue Cruise. You can use Ford's lane centering in the Mach e even on roads not mapped for Blue Cruise. The main difference between the driving experience with and without Blue Cruise is whether or not a hand is on the wheel or not.

It sounds like the lane centering in a Rivian only works on highways according to the reviews.

In other words... I don't think Driver+ is comparable to Blue Cruise at this point. In fact, it's not even comparable to the non Blue Cruise driver assist features Ford offers since u like Rivian, Ford lets you utilize the features on any road with decent lane markings. Ford also adjust speeds by reading speed limit signs on regular roads if desired.

Driver+ is essentially a less functional version of Ford's non Blue Cruise driver assist features.

That's disappointing. From what I'm seeing, Rivian's lane centering doesn't actually steer the car and maintain the oath in the center of the lane ver well... And it won't even attempt to do this on regular roads.
Agreed about it (and others) doing a good job without a system like blue cruise. I use ADAS on both my ID.4 and XC60 basically every drive. Theoretically Blue cruise should provide superior performance over Copilot 460, especially on turns, but it seems to disappoint there.

I'm not sure I'd say it's less functional than Blue cruise, but it definitely works in less areas than blue cruise or copilot360 at the moment. I also have a feeling the GPS issue may be part of the reason some folks are having issues with activating Driver+ in areas that are mapped. Where it works, it seems to do a very good job.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The Mach e actually does a decent job of lane centering even without Blue Cruise.
Honestly, I just got to experience the Mach E's ADAS, though not full Blue Cruise yet. I was not happy with how aggressive the lane centering is...felt like it was constantly fighting me. It also aggressively dives towards the edge of the road if the lane lines get indistinct. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but I wasn't a fan.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Honestly, I just got to experience the Mach E's ADAS, though not full Blue Cruise yet. I was not happy with how aggressive the lane centering is...felt like it was constantly fighting me. It also aggressively dives towards the edge of the road if the lane lines get indistinct. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but I wasn't a fan.
Yeah I felt that way at first too. Then I realized it requires some teaching. You have to teach it where you want your car within the lane. If you find that it is trying to steer you toward one side of the lane, you have to override the car by holding it in the specific spot of the lane you prefer for a few seconds. Then, the car will hold this exact spot for you.

Using this strategy, you can adjust the position to be held on the left or ride side of the lane or anywhere in between.

I also found the lane centering is only helpful if I give up and let the car do more of the work. If I try to control the car, it will fight me.
Sponsored