Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I tested Highway Assist this morning on a stretch of US 131 that was rolling hills and long curves. About 30% of that area was flat and straight. The road surface condition was certainly not optimum since it is early spring in Michigan and the road lines have taken a lot of abuse over the winter with salt/sand/ice and snow plow scraping. I'm guessing it may work smoother on roads with fresh fog and center lines.

It does work fairly well as a lane and speed keeping assistant. You do have to keep a hand lightly touching the wheel at all times or it will post a message to 'put hands on wheel' after a minute of your hands off. Shortly after that it will sound a warning that it will disengage, and presumably stop the vehicle it you do not take control.

The only thing I found disconcerting was a bit of a ping/pong effect as it found the left/right limits and applied quick small corrections. The corrections are subtle but noticeable - especially since I was hyper aware of what the truck was doing. I have no interest in being the subject of a news story about the software that ran the R1T into a bridge abutment! But it worked fine for the 10 or so miles I had it on. Best thing is that you can take one hand off the wheel, and your eyes off the road for a few seconds to hunt through the center screen menus to find something while Highway Assist keeps the truck in its lane.
Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I tested Highway Assist this morning on a stretch of US 131 that was rolling hills and long curves. About 30% of that area was flat and straight. The road surface condition was certainly not optimum since it is early spring in Michigan and the road lines have taken a lot of abuse over the winter with salt/sand/ice and snow plow scraping. I'm guessing it may work smoother on roads with fresh fog and center lines.

It does work fairly well as a lane and speed keeping assistant. You do have to keep a hand lightly touching the wheel at all times or it will post a message to 'put hands on wheel' after a minute of your hands off. Shortly after that it will sound a warning that it will disengage, and presumably stop the vehicle it you do not take control.

The only thing I found disconcerting was a bit of a ping/pong effect as it found the left/right limits and applied quick small corrections. The corrections are subtle but noticeable - especially since I was hyper aware of what the truck was doing. I have no interest in being the subject of a news story about the software that ran the R1T into a bridge abutment! But it worked fine for the 10 or so miles I had it on. Best thing is that you can take one hand off the wheel, and your eyes off the road for a few seconds to hunt through the center screen menus to find something while Highway Assist keeps the truck in its lane.
Thank you, and off topic, but I will be using this to weekend to ski mountains - saw your great charge post in 34 deg. Have you gotten a chance to charge in colder temps than that? Thanks so much for sharing the info you have.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Thank you, and off topic, but I will be using this to weekend to ski mountains - saw your great charge post in 34 deg. Have you gotten a chance to charge in colder temps than that? Thanks so much for sharing the info you have.
I'm hoping all my charging sessions for the next 7-8 months are above 34 degrees... ;)

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I'm hoping all my charging sessions for the next 7-8 months are above 34 degrees... ;)
You're in Michigan so I just didn't know. Haha. I'm on Long Island. . . . . Don't hold it against me. We drive to the Adirondack mountains in the winter.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

You're in Michigan so I just didn't know. Haha. I'm on Long Island. . . . . Don't hold it against me. We drive to the Adirondack mountains in the winter.
@DB-EV, where do you go in the Adirondacks? We take a trip to the Adirondacks from Virginia every summer and some winters (although fewer than I would like since too many members of my household feel it is too cold in the winter). I’m looking forward to taking my R1S up this summer…hopefully!

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
@DB-EV, where do you go in the Adirondacks? We take a trip to the Adirondacks from Virginia every summer and some winters (although fewer than I would like since too many members of my household feel it is too cold in the winter). I’m looking forward to taking my R1S up this summer…hopefully!
We rented a house near Gore ski area around North Creek NY (it was part of the deal for getting a cover puppy last year). It worked out great. The stars are amazing there. My inlaws was a moose and our son saw a bear. I skied 31 days : ) and my 11 yo did a legit double black there.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Since it IS Northern Michigan, the end of March as well as April, and rarely even May, can have a nasty bout of Winter doing an encore. So it is certainly possible that I can report on lower temp charging before summer...

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
My inlaws was a moose and our son saw a bear. I skied 31 days : ) and my 11 yo did a legit double black there.
Ughhh Ok :surprised::like:

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Since it IS Northern Michigan, the end of March as well as April, and rarely even May, can have a nasty bout of Winter doing an encore. So it is certainly possible that I can report on lower temp charging before summer...
Then I hope for your sake that you don't get the chance!

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
Best thing is that you can take one hand off the wheel, and your eyes off the road for a few seconds to hunt through the center screen menus to find something while Highway Assist keeps the truck in its lane.
This accurately describes how I use normal Autopilot in my Telsa (not the FSD upgraded version). I can take a sip of water more easily, look at something my wife/child point out, etc. without as much concern that I might accidentally cross a lane line. It's a very liberating experience.

Sponsored

tobyringle

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've heard several times that Driver+ function (auto steer) is only available on those highways that have been "mapped". Isn't this tech just relying on cameras and the road lines? I currently drive a Tesla, and the "auto steer" works on nearly all streets. I just assumed it was cameral work....perhaps Im wrong? Or is it that Teslas are more plentiful so more roads have been mapped by existing drivers?

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I've heard several times that Driver+ function (auto steer) is only available on those highways that have been "mapped". Isn't this tech just relying on cameras and the road lines? I currently drive a Tesla, and the "auto steer" works on nearly all streets. I just assumed it was cameral work....perhaps Im wrong? Or is it that Teslas are more plentiful so more roads have been mapped by existing drivers?
It is definitely looking at mapped roads. While going north on US 131 when I had it enabled, the highway transitions from 4 lane limited access to 2 lane. Approaching this change it alerted me to the fact that it would no longer be available. Road lines were not changing.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

It is definitely looking at mapped roads. While going north on US 131 when I had it enabled, the highway transitions from 4 lane limited access to 2 lane. Approaching this change it alerted me to the fact that it would no longer be available. Road lines were not changing.
I know exactly where it does that. Good to know that Driver+ will have mapped highways most of the way to my haunt in Northern Michigan. Thanks!

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
My Hyundai lane assist works the same way. When it's there's not their "next level" (does the SAE even care anymore?) automated driving system it seems like every car's lane keeping system is more like minor-suggestion than it is keeping you guided.

YouTubers suck at knowing about this and explaining it. I wish they didn't, is there some kind of regulation they're all adhering too? Liability reasons? Just unspoken, "this makes sense so we're all doing it"?

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
I have been impressed with Volvo’s lane keeping “pilot assist” in my XC40 recharge. It has improved markedly over OTA updates and doesnt ping-pong around. Hopefully Rivian can get there too!
Sponsored