Sponsored

Help figuring out solar

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I had solar installed at one of my WI properties, 7.2 kWp, and since it went live last june it has generated 4.28 MWh but of course there is great variation given seasonal changes, e.g., 1 MHw last July but only 150 kWh in December (about 2 weeks covered in snow).

For my next install I want a battery system but given how the tech is changing so quickly I might wait a few years.
Sponsored

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 Bolt, and I got my Rivian in June of 2022. About 1000 miles per month each. Bolt averages close to 4 miles per kWh and the R1T 2.5 (soft foot!). In 2022 (1/2 year with Rivian) I put 3.7 MWh in AT HOME. The rest was at DCFC on the road, or at my son’s house when we visit. Are you trying to cancel your total consumption for the vehicles or just cover home charging?

I have 7.67 kW of panels, with a mix of east, south, and west (and some winter tree shading), self consumption, 2x Tesla Powerwalls. I generate about 10 MWh of solar annually and cover 2/3 of house + home charging of vehicles.

We keep our vehicles charged somewhere between 30% and 70% generally, and charge based on anticipated need and solar production. In the spring and fall we have so much power some is curtailed by the system when all the batteries are full. In the winter, we draw a good bit from the grid. Some, but less so in the summer…

Hope this helps the OP.

-Joel

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I have a 2020 Bolt, and I got my Rivian in June of 2022. About 1000 miles per month each. Bolt averages close to 4 miles per kWh and the R1T 2.5 (soft foot!). In 2022 (1/2 year with Rivian) I put 3.7 MWh in AT HOME. The rest was at DCFC on the road, or at my son’s house when we visit. Are you trying to cancel your total consumption for the vehicles or just cover home charging?

I have 7.67 kW of panels, with a mix of east, south, and west (and some winter tree shading), self consumption, 2x Tesla Powerwalls. I generate about 10 MWh of solar annually and cover 2/3 of house + home charging of vehicles.

We keep our vehicles charged somewhere between 30% and 70% generally, and charge based on anticipated need and solar production. In the spring and fall we have so much power some is curtailed by the system when all the batteries are full. In the winter, we draw a good bit from the grid. Some, but less so in the summer…

Hope this helps the OP.

-Joel
ideally i would like total consumption from the panels...

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
It's really not clear what you're looking for here.

There are many websites that will give you estimates of how much energy you will produce from solar in a year, given your exact address or even just your latitude.

Likewise, any solar company that gives you an estimate will do a detailed analysis of what your consumption is, how much space you have for panels (and at what angle, and with what obstructions like trees), etc. They will ask about your appliances, whether you have gas or electric heat, whether you have A/C, whether you have an EV charger, etc., then they will give you recommendations and options including prices for different sizes of solar and storage options if relevant.

These local companies will be the experts on what local tax breaks, incentives, etc. are available in your region, and will have financing options lined up if that is important to you.

I suggest getting recommendations for a solar company from friends and neighbors, then having two or more come by to give you quotes. They might try to upsell you, but at least you will come out with some hard numbers that are specific to you that you can use to determine how big a system you want to install given your priorities.

Be aware that the cost-effectiveness of this depends not only on where you live (latitude) but also on your utility company's rebates and incentives and policy on reimbursing for excess production.

In my case, my main concern was that the solar would eventually pay for itself. Which it will, but over how long depends on your location and the size of your array. In a lot of places it may be only 5 years or so before it pays for itself. In almost every instance it will pay for itself in less than the ~25 year lifetime of the panels. If you don't want to front the money yourself, there are companies that will lease you the arrays so you pay $0 upfront.

Again, I recommend getting some quotes. There will be no obligation to buy, and you will come out of the process knowing all the things to consider. Start the process now, because we're only a few months from peak production and I guarantee that solar installers are going to be booked solid this summer.

PVguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Transit Connect, 2000 VW Golf TDI
Occupation
Retired
I worked in photovoltaics for tw years and could help you out with production/consumption numbers but it looks like that has been covered in a couple of posts. What I would suggest is going to energysage.com. There you can get PV information and quotes from PV contractors, both local and national. I have never used this service, but now refer interested parties there (since I am retired) and they seem satisfied.
Sponsored