First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
As someone who has owned a myriad of cars with a heads up display, I cannot imagine why the pioneer electric families continue to ignore offering a heads up display. I currently drive a Tesla M3P and I love the minimalism of the interior. Initially I thought it was distracting to look at the display for speed. Over the last year plus I seldom do that. I think having a heads up display would be a game changer for Rivian. In my opinion, you could eliminate the center screen that's there. Having a heads up display would place all of the pertinent info the driver needs right in front of his/her eyes. I've got to believe it cannot be more costly than having a second display unit???
Does anyone know if Rivian has commented on the possibility?
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I asked about this very thing like a month ago. The CS rep told me that ā€œInformation about additional driver assistance options will be available laterā€

Sooooo.....maybe?

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I despise HUDā€™s. If implemented, I would cancel my pre-order. Iā€™m a fan of technology, but Iā€™m not a fan of living the world of Tron. Iā€™m looking out the window to look out the window.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
I despise HUDā€™s. If implemented, I would cancel my pre-order. Iā€™m a fan of technology, but Iā€™m not a fan of living the world of Tron. Iā€™m looking out the window to look out the window.
Cancelling the pre-order seems a bit dramatic. I think most, if not all, HUDs can be selected to be off.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Another vote for HUD here too. I've never had one personally, but have driven vehicles with them a couple times & thought they were awesome...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I like the technology of a HUD and if done right can provide you with some good info without looking at the dash. BMW has a nice color HUD. My problem is I always wear polarized sunglasses when I drive so my biggest issue with HUDs is they are so washed out with polarized sunglasses they are borderline useless. Fun feature for me, not a deal breaker.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I'm pretty sure the Rivian version uses the rare yellow laser ...

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Another vote for HUD here too. I've never had one personally, but have driven vehicles with them a couple times & thought they were awesome...
I had a HUD in my Mini Cooper (before I swapped in to a Lexus RX) and while it was nice, I don't consider it a must-have. The most useful part was being able to glance at your speed very quickly. You can also get navigation prompts, but only from the native system and not Carplay. I don't think it's a necessity on the Rivian for a couple of key reasons:
  • With autonomous driver tech only getting better over time, I imagine the driver will have (dare I say it?) more time to look at the display behind the steering wheel for more info, and less of a need to have that info on a HUD.
  • The fact that there is an actual display behind the steering wheel could catalyze some really useful features to substitute what an HUD provides - for example, turn the screen some shade of red if you are exceeding the speed limit, or gradually enlarge your next navigation turn the closer you get to it. Those things will catch your eye without having to look down to read something on the screen.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

...but a sweet augmented reality off-road mode... And augmented reality night vision. Now you're talking!

Last edited:

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Cancelling the pre-order seems a bit dramatic. I think most, if not all, HUDs can be selected to be off.
Ha. I knew I should have added ā€œif I canā€™t turn it offā€ for clarity. Not dramatic in the least. Just is what it is. If itā€™s there permanently, Iā€™ll find another vehicle to buy. No biggie. Itā€™s not hyperbolic if Iā€™ll follow through with my claim. To each their own. I also hate cooked carrots. In the trash they go!

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I also hate cooked carrots. In the trash they go!
You MONSTER

But also, Iā€™m reasonably certain that the HUD (if there is one) will be able to be turned on/off. Iā€™ve had two cars with HUDs so far, and both of them had the option to turn it off entirely. So you should be good