Heads up display

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I have limited experience with HUD's, but love the simplicity of the one in the CX-5. It's always nice to have the option to use this type of assist or shut it off. The version shown in the earlier video seems very helpful.

With all of the technology coming our way in the Rivians, I'm hoping they will surprise us with an AR HUD that's truly robust and designed for adventure vehicles, preferably with optional voice command. It would be nice if the display actually told you not only the speed of the bear charging toward you from the front, but also the genus of that bear. "Mother Grizzly Bear approaching ? 12 o'clock at 24 mph (37 kph). Engaging 180ā° TankTurn ?. Canadian/Alaska border crossing now 800 ft (244 meters) ahead. Disregard gate and recently-visited RCM until he is between you and the Mama Bear. Moisture intrusion detected in driver's seat. Air-filtration engaged. Garment change in Gear Tunnel. Nationwide Insurance Claims Department being called now. Have a nice day!"
If they didn't perform a serious packaging study, you can kiss thoughts of an AR HUD goodbye. I've been involved in projects where we retrofit an AR HUD to a vehicle with an existing HUD, and the discussion quickly turns to cutting cross-car beams :eek:

Keep in mind that there's only 2 vehicles on the market with AR HUDs:
  • Mercedes S-Class
  • Audi Q4 E-Tron
There's more vehicles coming, but the packaging size and cost are huge barriers ATM.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
For me what was more usable than a HUD was Hondaā€˜s two-tiered dash with the speedometer readout above the steering wheel

not sure why it was done away with when they redesigned the civic. It was noticeably easier to look at.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If they didn't perform a serious packaging study, you can kiss thoughts of an AR HUD goodbye. I've been involved in projects where we retrofit an AR HUD to a vehicle with an existing HUD, and the discussion quickly turns to cutting cross-car beams :eek:

Keep in mind that there's only 2 vehicles on the market with AR HUDs:
  • Mercedes S-Class
  • Audi Q4 E-Tron
There's more vehicles coming, but the packaging size and cost are huge barriers ATM.
Frankly, in my book, any HUD is welcome. The more robust, the better. Regardless of the functions, it should be dimmable or switched to allow us to turn it off.

When rolling through nature, I want the most unobstructed view possible through my windshield and other glass. The only flickering lights I want to see are fireflies, stars, and sunlight flickering off the water.

Definitely don't want the red and blue variety in the rearview mirror....

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Brought to you courtesy of Team Yellow
..all Iā€™m asking for are sharks, with freaking yellow laser beams attached to them! Honestly, why am I paying you people forā€¦

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
i've wanted huds since they were offered in Pontiac Grand Prix back in the 90s :)

One day i hope to have a car that has them, but at the moment it looks like I'm leaning to the R1S at the moment instead of a Q4 Etron. Though the lack of carplay has me waffling every day.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
..all Iā€™m asking for are sharks, with freaking yellow laser beams attached to them! Honestly, why am I paying you people forā€¦

I literally have one that is a working laser pointer & a great conversation piece in meetings/presentations. I graduated to a remote & green laser that has additional controls, but the shark was fun.

Rivian R1T R1S Heads up display PXL_20210908_035538264

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
to each their own, but i hate heads up displays. when i look out the windshield, i want to see the road not something projected onto it. i find it incredibly distracting. i used to think i "wanted it" because it seemed kind of sci Fi and cool to me. since using several different systems in different vehicles, i just don't turn it on anymore.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
to each their own, but i hate heads up displays. when i look out the windshield, i want to see the road not something projected onto it. i find it incredibly distracting. i used to think i "wanted it" because it seemed kind of sci Fi and cool to me. since using several different systems in different vehicles, i just don't turn it on anymore.
Agreed. I ordered my last car, specifically without it. I've disliked everyone of them over the years, simply due to the windshield reflection from the casing and glass it creates right in my prime viewing spot of the beauty (or traffic) in front of me.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Another vote for HUD here too. I've never had one personally, but have driven vehicles with them a couple times & thought they were awesome...
Having flown aircraft with both a HUD and a Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) they are a lot more useful than you think. Could make the interior more minimalist as in no need for a display behind the wheel. Leave the center display thoughā€¦

irfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Iā€™ve had HUD a couple of times , in using my current car. During the day i forget itā€™s there because I canā€™t see it with polarized sunglasses on. Itā€™s a novelty for sure , and definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I had a chance to check out a Kia EV6... that HUD is snazzy as well.

That said, I think it's a mixed bag, it could be super cool and very helpful, but at the same time, distracting and annoying.

I think, like all UI, it has to be both very carefully planned and executed AND made customizable by the user (and to be turned off if the user wants to).

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
One think I think that hasn't been discussed is presbyopia--the need for bifocals or reading glasses as we age.

The most frequent long driving trip I make typically ends in the dark, on rural two-lane highways that are poorly lit. The traffic aware nav will change the route from trip to trip, and the gps nav becomes very important.

I've reached an age where the center screen and small items on the dash are hard to read without reading glasses in the dark, but I see better outside without the reading glasses and with the interior lights fairly low.

The HUD lets me comfortably and safely drive at night in unfamiliar areas without having to resort to my reading glasses. For that reason alone I will always tick that box if it's available.

I've also used aircraft HUDs which have the same advantage, especially in high-stress phases of flight.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Imagine a HUD unit with AR. Check out the Audi q4etron. That hud unit is sick looking. Iā€™d take that in a minute.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I had a HUD in our Range Rover. It was awesome at night And when nav was turn on, it was perfect.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I only use my current HUD during spirited driving so that I don't have to take my eyes as far from the twisty road ahead of me. Currently configured to display tachometer/shift light (manual transmission) and G-force.

I've got sensitive eyes, so even on the dimmest setting, I prefer it off at night. During the day, I turn it much brighter so that I can still see it with polarized sunglasses.

For an R1S, I'd probably want an inclinometer, G-force meter and 0-60 timer most of the time. At night, I'd probably want a very dimmable HUD where it'll display speed, battery percentage and not much else, leaving me the option to turn the other main screens off. I like my interior as blacked out as night as possible.
Sponsored