Heads up display

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Showing the detected vehicle in adaptive cruise control is worth its weight in gold. My i3s has adaptive cruise control but it's quite untrustworthy except in minimally demanding situations, and there is no feedback that it's seeing the vehicle that is actually in front of it. I've intentionally let it continue when I've used it on the interstate and traffic ahead of me comes to a stop. Most of the time it comes to a stop also. But once, and only once, because I trust it not at all now, it barreled straight ahead and only stopped when I stepped fully on the brakes and (whew) stopped less than a foot behind the vehicle in front of me. Until we can assign multiple nine's of confidence, we need feedback to the driver, and that green line (yellow would be better!) showing which vehicle is the immediate threat would be most excellent.

Let's take it a step further, if you have your dynamic cruise control activated on a highway, and there is a car moving at a similar rate as you and it detects it, put a green line on it so it indicates a similar speed, if its a car it detects that is slower than you then put a yellow line or indicator on it, and then if its a significantly slowed down vehicle or stopped vehicle, that is when it can put a red indicator while the brakes are being pre tensioned and everything else.
Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
That AR is pretty slick. I like lines for lanes appearing when it changes rather than always on.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Let's take it a step further, if you have your dynamic cruise control activated on a highway, and there is a car moving at a similar rate as you and it detects it, put a green line on it so it indicates a similar speed, if its a car it detects that is slower than you then put a yellow line or indicator on it, and then if its a significantly slowed down vehicle or stopped vehicle, that is when it can put a red indicator while the brakes are being pre tensioned and everything else.
I like it. Green for matched speed (equal to or less than your set speed). Yellow for slowing to match using just regen (i.e., gently), red if caliper braking, and flashing red if "uh oh".

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
When you have a HUD, you generally have a cutout in the dashboard to house the projector, I doubt that at this price they'd be using a popup one like in a Mazda 3; and I have scoured all photos that I could of both vehicles, sadly, I don't see anything remotely suggesting that any of us should continue hoping for a HUD.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
When you have a HUD, you generally have a cutout in the dashboard to house the projector, I doubt that at this price they'd be using a popup one like in a Mazda 3; and I have scoured all photos that I could of both vehicles, sadly, I don't see anything remotely suggesting that any of us should continue hoping for a HUD.
Agreed. I don't think Rivian has ever even hinted at having a HUD and it would seem contradictory to their mention of somewhat similar concepts with the forward facing trail cam displayed on the screen behind steering wheel.

Sponsored

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Personally I encourage anyone and everyone (ahead of me in the queue) to cancel their orders. That'll get me my vehicle sooner. And for HUDs made of carrots? Hmmm, I'd have to try it before immediately selling my vehicle to the highest bidder (at a profit).

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I've had several cars (and one now) with it also. I think they are great and would like to see it in R1T

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
One mitigating factor for Rivian is that they do have forward cameras. It may be easy look at stuff you'd want in a HUD without taking your eyes off the road.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I enjoy the cameras on my Tesla. It’s freaky to watch your rear cameras while driving. Rivian is going to bake in the tech with the cameras. It’s a matter of enabling the use of the camera info

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Having had cars with and without it I am mixed here. My wife hates the HUD, finds it distracting. I personally couldn't care less. HUB is ok but in reality having used CarPlay for navigation for years HUD is just a giant speedometer

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

My CX-5 has a windshield HUD and I would classify it as "nice to have" not "must have." Given the choice between a holographic windshield display and the driver's display that's been shown, I would choose the driver's display. In the CX-5 at least, the HUD fills in some of the gaps that the relatively basic dashboard clusters leave with only a traditional tach, speedometer, and minimal trip calculator/status dial. I don't see that being an issue with the size of the driver display in the Rivians.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

My CX-5 has a windshield HUD and I would classify it as "nice to have" not "must have." Given the choice between a holographic windshield display and the driver's display that's been shown, I would choose the driver's display. In the CX-5 at least, the HUD fills in some of the gaps that the relatively basic dashboard clusters leave with only a traditional tach, speedometer, and minimal trip calculator/status dial. I don't see that being an issue with the size of the driver display in the Rivians.
I have limited experience with HUD's, but love the simplicity of the one in the CX-5. It's always nice to have the option to use this type of assist or shut it off. The version shown in the earlier video seems very helpful.

With all of the technology coming our way in the Rivians, I'm hoping they will surprise us with an AR HUD that's truly robust and designed for adventure vehicles, preferably with optional voice command. It would be nice if the display actually told you not only the speed of the bear charging toward you from the front, but also the genus of that bear. "Mother Grizzly Bear approaching ? 12 o'clock at 24 mph (37 kph). Engaging 180⁰ TankTurn ?. Canadian/Alaska border crossing now 800 ft (244 meters) ahead. Disregard gate and recently-visited RCM until he is between you and the Mama Bear. Moisture intrusion detected in driver's seat. Air-filtration engaged. Garment change in Gear Tunnel. Nationwide Insurance Claims Department being called now. Have a nice day!"

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I have limited experience with HUD's, but love the simplicity of the one in the CX-5. It's always nice to have the option to use this type of assist or shut it off. The version shown in the earlier video seems very helpful.

With all of the technology coming our way in the Rivians, I'm hoping they will surprise us with an AR HUD that's truly robust and designed for adventure vehicles, preferably with optional voice command. It would be nice if the display actually told you not only the speed of the bear charging toward you from the front, but also the genus of that bear. "Mother Grizzly Bear approaching ? 12 o'clock at 24 mph (37 kph). Engaging 180⁰ TankTurn ?. Canadian/Alaska border crossing now 800 ft (244 meters) ahead. Disregard gate and recently-visited RCM until he is between you and the Mama Bear. Moisture intrusion detected in driver's seat. Air-filtration engaged. Garment change in Gear Tunnel. Nationwide Insurance Claims Department being called now. Have a nice day!"
I will say when I first got our CX-5 I thought the HUD was the cat's pajamas, but after a while you sort of stop realizing it is there and I often still find myself looking at the speedometer to check my speed even though it's right in front of me on the windshield. The navigation aspect isn't really useful either since I use AA for that and the HUD navigation cues don't work when you are using AA.
Sponsored