Have You Gone Fully Electric??

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I know this isn’t specific to Rivian, but I figured I could get some good input from everyone. I currently have a model 3 and my wife has a CR-V. We are looking at getting rid of the CR-V and getting an ID.4 or Q4 for my wife, then replacing the model 3 with the R1T when it’s available. Are there families on her that are fully electric? How has it been? Do you live in cold climates or are you in California?

My wife is concerned about going fully electric for our cars and wanted feedback from others.

Thanks for any input!!
Sponsored

bbenoit726

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
I live in Ohio and we’re in a similar situation - model 3 and a Subaru ascent currently, but going to switch out the Ascent for an R1S as soon as I can.

But no reservations here! The model 3 does lose some range in the winter (I’m hoping the Rivian is a little more resilient, with all the cold weather testing they’ve done), but our daily driving will still be no problem with two EVs, and any significant road trip already require extensive planning for stops along the way (we have 3 kids) so range anxiety isn’t really a thing for us, except as far as the kids go (how many miles can we get out of them before they start to lose their minds?)

Not sure if that’s helpful, but we’re all in on electric at this point.

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I know this isn’t specific to Rivian, but I figured I could get some good input from everyone. I currently have a model 3 and my wife has a CR-V. We are looking at getting rid of the CR-V and getting an ID.4 or Q4 for my wife, then replacing the model 3 with the R1T when it’s available. Are there families on her that are fully electric? How has it been? Do you live in cold climates or are you in California?

My wife is concerned about going fully electric for our cars and wanted feedback from others.

Thanks for any input!!
Very close to your situation. We have a model 3 (315 rated range) and ICE van. I plan to replace ICE with RIS or R1T. Wife use to be afraid of not be able to charge the EV during power outages and/or road trips but having driven Model 3 in roadtrips and seen first hand, gas stations closed during power outages. She has come around and she is ok having 2 EVs in the household. The only thing she would like is a “longer range” (around 400 miles) electric vehicle but she feels comfortable with 300 miles + based on our experience with Tesla M3.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My family has a Bolt and a Volt. Originally the plan was to do trips with the Volt, but we've ended up taking the Bolt on all of the trips. I also have other ICE vehicles but they rarely get driven and I am in the process of getting rid of them.

The biggest concern is when we have extreme weather and power could be out for a week or more. I do have a gas generator at home that works for charging the EVs, but I've never had to use it that way beyond just testing it. My work is 20 miles away and we haven't had a situation where power is out at both places. I don't have a station set up at work but I did put in a 14-50 I can hang a charger off of.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
My main concern is the leaving the vehicle unplugged. If I go on a trip for 3-4weeks is it safe to leave an ev on an airport parking lot?
I think I can manage the planing long road trips. My longest being 1000 miles and according to abrp it'll only increase by about 2.5h, so I'm OK with that.

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
We are trying to take it even further. I have a LE reservation on R1S, my wife is getting a Volvo XC40 Recharge. In addition, we are doing a large solar + battery install at our house while we also replace other gas-powered things around the house like our lawnmower, weed eater, etc with battery/corded electric equivalents.
In a few months I won’t ever have to go to the gas station again except for over priced snack food.

Ryanj

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi e-tron, R1S preorder
We have been full electric for about two years now and will never go back to ice. We have a model 3 which we will keep and an e-tron which will be replaced by the R1S. Most of our driving is local and we are in Florida so no cold weather issues but it was nice not having to deal with lines at the gas stations before a hurricane. We just charge both cars to 100%, typically we stay at 80%, and we are good to go. We go on a few road trips every year and have never had a problem with charging or range anxiety. We found we actually enjoy the stops and now with a 7 month old, she requires longer stops than it takes to charge. It’s been asked in another thread about home charging set ups. Our current set up is a L2 14-50 plug for the Audi and L1 outlet for the Tesla. If we take the Tesla on a longer trip back to back then I’ll connect it to the Audi EVSE which gives the same charge rate as the Tesla EVSE. Like I said we love being fully electric and are so happy not to have to deal with the maintenance of ice anymore. Just remotely setting the A/C is worth the switch here in FL. Anyway, my guess is that you’ll love it and won’t look back.

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
My main concern is the leaving the vehicle unplugged. If I go on a trip for 3-4weeks is it safe to leave an ev on an airport parking lot?
I think I can manage the planing long road trips. My longest being 1000 miles and according to abrp it'll only increase by about 2.5h, so I'm OK with that.
We do a month long vacation every year and we do not have a garage. I leave my EV unplugged for 1 month long with around 80% charge. No issues whatsoever. You shouldn’t have any issue leaving your EV unplugged for 1 month - assuming you leave it with enough charge. NOTE: I have found that Tesla vampire drain is about 1% drain/day if the car is in a state of deep sleep. I am assuming Rivian can probably achieve the same.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery

Thanks for any input!!

Check the Ohio Legislation, I'm fairly certain to live in Marysville you must have a CR-V at all times.

Signed,
Former Columbus Resident

OP
OP

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
We are trying to take it even further. I have a LE reservation on R1S, my wife is getting a Volvo XC40 Recharge. In addition, we are doing a large solar + battery install at our house while we also replace other gas-powered things around the house like our lawnmower, weed eater, etc with battery/corded electric equivalents.
In a few months I won’t ever have to go to the gas station again except for over priced snack food.
I got rid of all gas powered mowers, weed eaters, etc last year and don’t miss them in the least! Everything we have now is battery powered and I love it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Check the Ohio Legislation, I'm fairly certain to live in Marysville you must have a CR-V at all times.

Signed,
Former Columbus Resident
Haha. I think you are probably correct. That or a pilot.

OP
OP

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
We have been full electric for about two years now and will never go back to ice. We have a model 3 which we will keep and an e-tron which will be replaced by the R1S. Most of our driving is local and we are in Florida so no cold weather issues but it was nice not having to deal with lines at the gas stations before a hurricane. We just charge both cars to 100%, typically we stay at 80%, and we are good to go. We go on a few road trips every year and have never had a problem with charging or range anxiety. We found we actually enjoy the stops and now with a 7 month old, she requires longer stops than it takes to charge. It’s been asked in another thread about home charging set ups. Our current set up is a L2 14-50 plug for the Audi and L1 outlet for the Tesla. If we take the Tesla on a longer trip back to back then I’ll connect it to the Audi EVSE which gives the same charge rate as the Tesla EVSE. Like I said we love being fully electric and are so happy not to have to deal with the maintenance of ice anymore. Just remotely setting the A/C is worth the switch here in FL. Anyway, my guess is that you’ll love it and won’t look back.
If we do end up getting the second EV, I was debating how I wanted to do charging. We currently have a ChargePoint Flex on a 50A breaker, so it is set to 40A. I was debating I wanted to get a Neocharge and have 2 single level 2 chargers(either buy a second or use one of the mobile chargers), get a Clipper Creek dual head level 2, or keep what we have and use a level 1 for the vehicle that doesn’t need much charge.

Decisions decisions.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Yes and I love it! When I first moved in the neighbors were talking staring at me. "Is that thing even running? Well the grass is gettin shorter aint it?"
Rivian R1T R1S Have You Gone Fully Electric?? 1632751648826

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I have been fully electric with a family of six since Oct 2019. I started with my daily driver as a chevy bolt ev (2017), then we got the kids a used 2014 Fiat 500E for them to learn to drive in, and then I replaced the gas chugging Expedition EL with a Tesla Model X in 2019.

I replaced my lawn care equipment with Ryobi 40V in 2020 to get rid of the last of the gas in the house.

I live in NC, so while it gets cold, it's not sub zero cold. We have done 1100 miles over the winter for Christmas driving from NC to KS (so, NC, TN, IL, MO, and KS) twice now. Our Tesla is the road tripper, and it has the 75 kwh battery so max range is about 200 miles. I find we stop sooner with small bladders in the car and about 120 miles to 180 miles of driving, fast charge at a super charger, and go on works pretty well.

I usually run the car in 'range mode' which limits the cabin heating/cooling to increase range. I don't know if it helps much. I typically try to charge around 20% and then just charge enough to make it to next super charger. We've stayed both at 'destination charger' hotels and hotels that were close to a super charger.

I've had no issues that had me overly concerned, cold for NC is around 15-20 degrees in February over night. We garage the car, but it still cold enough the pack when you start in the morning is a little limited as it warms up. Tesla limits regen breaking and acceleration until the pack gets warm enough which for my commute is about the time it takes to get to the highway.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
5+ years fully electric here. I have a 2016 model X with an R1T reserved. Going to keep the Model X and replace it with an R1S in a couple of years, once the extended warranty runs out. We are building a new house with a solar system and dual EV chargers.

Once you break the chains to the gas pump, its impossible to go back.
Sponsored