First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
I just used a junction box to get power to both units from the main circuit, since both are hardwired. You then physically connect the two units using Cat5/6 cable.
Ah, got it. Thanks
Sponsored

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
Iā€™m going to wire for a 100 or 125 amp sub panel to the garage. This can be aluminum wire (much cheaper than copper) and will allow for changing the actual connection to chargers with only short runs in the garage. I.e. one 60 amp now and a second 60 amp circuit/breaker in the future. Each charger run is just a foot or two.
Also if you end up selling your house to someone who isnā€™t using EVs they can use the garage sub panel to power shop equipment (welders, etc.).

OP
OP

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
We finalized the deal/paperwork on a Volvo XC40 Recharge yesterday. It should be delivered to the dealer from the Baltimore port in ~10 days. Needless to say my wife is very excited to get rid of the CR-V and get the XC40. Once it comes in, then we will be fully converted to electric.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I probably wonā€™t be full EV for a long time. This truck will be our family vehicle but we also have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that has been heavily modded. Itā€™s our rock crawler and can do things a Rivian wouldnā€™t dare.

But if Rivian were to make a Jeep competitor, I think weā€™d give it some serious consideration.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I know this isnā€™t specific to Rivian, but I figured I could get some good input from everyone. I currently have a model 3 and my wife has a CR-V. We are looking at getting rid of the CR-V and getting an ID.4 or Q4 for my wife, then replacing the model 3 with the R1T when itā€™s available. Are there families on her that are fully electric? How has it been? Do you live in cold climates or are you in California?

My wife is concerned about going fully electric for our cars and wanted feedback from others.

Thanks for any input!!
I will be when I get my R1T. My Kia Niro EV does very well in the winter. We have all kinds of weather up here in the PNW. The heat pump in the Niro does a good job with winter heating. Snow and rain, no problem. The extra ground clearance and 4 wheel drive will be a plus if we get some real la nina snows this year.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Currently the family has multiple EVā€™s, and more on order. However, when the grid goes down, as it does, we have some Tesla battery backup with more coming. Solar power is available only in some locations because of weather factors. For us it makes sense to have at least one ICE SUV as a back up and extra fuel on hand in case of severe grid failure of a week or more. Redundancy makes sense and has some utility.
Sponsored