Sponsored

Have You Gone Fully Electric??

Pugster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150
Model 3, will be fully EV with an R1T replacing our current F150. Solar setup on the house. No hesitations whatsoever, in fact I can’t wait to join my wife in the “no gassing up” world. She hasn’t pumped gas since 2018 when we got our Tesla.

The biggest things I learned after getting our car was that all of the stuff I was concerned about didn’t matter - and the things I love the most about it were completely unexpected. Now I’m going in eyes wide open and I can’t fricken wait!
Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
At some point I will be.

Will never buy an ICE car again for sure. However, the eco-friendly to do on the vehicle side, even after I take R1S delivery, is to keep my old 3-series and use it as a secondary car until it dies instead of replacing it with a new BEV. Energy costs and emissions from building a new car are too significant.

For everything else, I have solar power and nothing I buy new is gas-powered. Leaf blower, chainsaw, power washer, etc. are all battery. My kitchens are now fully electric; I cannot recommend induction cooktops enough. It's quieter, more efficient, and more precise to control.

One exception: I have an outdoor pizza oven hooked to a natural gas line. And a pellet smoker (though the heating element is electric). Can't get to 800+ degrees without fire! You'll pry that out of my cold, dead hands.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

6 years ago we switched to battery lawn equipment. No regrets.

14 years ago we purchased a Prius.

7 months ago we had 10.2kW solar installed. No regrets and no electric bills.

2 months ago we ordered a Mach-E to replace the Prius.

Currently waiting for R1T to replace 2010 Tacoma work truck.

All in on electric. 99% of charging will be at home and is green. Not worried about weather or trips as we will plan accordingly.

We have been looking forward to no tailpipe and not purchasing another drop of gas for a long time.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
We live in California. The wife will not switch to an EV due to all the problems we have had with the Tesla. Common sense mode activated.

i‘m Just about done with Tesla too. Will not order a new one. So wants left In the EV market that you can actually buy today. Bolt, volt, leaf, Priusl Fiat, God no. Fords EF150, not out yet. Rivian. Same thing. Porsche is an option.

if I need a new vehicle soon, it’s back to ICE for a new 2022 Raptor R. Otherwise is a long wait for an electric truck. If this question was to be asked say 3 years from now. Well, the Ford and the Rivian if they are’s till here in the market would be great. We’re just not there yet.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
5+ years fully electric here. I have a 2016 model X with an R1T reserved. Going to keep the Model X and replace it with an R1S in a couple of years, once the extended warranty runs out. We are building a new house with a solar system and dual EV chargers.

Once you break the chains to the gas pump, its impossible to go back.
Not impossible. I’m gonna do it soon.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
We're not fully electric (see profile) but we openly acknowledge we don't need the ICE cars for any reason.

The Model X takes the kids to school, takes us to work, makes hardware store runs, and goes on long road trips.

The R1T will also do all of that.

My hope is that by the time our R1T is ready the used car market will still be out of control, because our Volvo is in pristine shape and has very low miles for its age.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

We live in California. The wife will not switch to an EV due to all the problems we have had with the Tesla. Common sense mode activated.

i‘m Just about done with Tesla too. Will not order a new one. So wants left In the EV market that you can actually buy today. Bolt, volt, leaf, Priusl Fiat, God no. Fords EF150, not out yet. Rivian. Same thing. Porsche is an option.

if I need a new vehicle soon, it’s back to ICE for a new 2022 Raptor R. Otherwise is a long wait for an electric truck. If this question was to be asked say 3 years from now. Well, the Ford and the Rivian if they are’s till here in the market would be great. We’re just not there yet.
Volvo XC40 recharge, Audi E Tron, Ford Mustang Mach-E, VW ID.4. All are available now.

Last edited:

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Not impossible. I’m gonna do it soon.
IMO putting money into an ICE now is not a good investment either financially or environmentally. EVs are coming on strong and owning ICEs will become a liability.

For me the extra cost and temporary inconvenience of EV is well worth not spewing stuff out of the tailpipe and not spending any more money on gas.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I'm not fully electric, but it is not because of any inherent limitation of electric vehicles. The only reason I still have a gas vehicle is because so far no one has bothered to build any large electric vehicles.

I am hopeful that Rivian R1S will be large enough that I can trade in my Suburban, but I have a feeling that it won't be and I'll end up keeping it.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
IMO putting money into an ICE now is not a good investment either financially or environmentally. EVs are coming on strong and owning ICEs will become a liability.

For me the extra cost and temporary inconvenience of EV is well worth not spewing stuff out of the tailpipe and not spending any more money on gas.
environment? low on my list. If you need a truck now, ICE is the only way to go. In 3-5 years. Maybe things will change.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Volvo is a no. Audi is a no. VW and the Ford are possibilities. Just low on any list
I test drove the Tesla, Volvo and Mach-E. We ordered the Mach-E and should have it in a month.

I am not a fan of Tesla BUT they did finally crack open the iron grip that car/oil companies had on what we could drive.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I know this isn’t specific to Rivian, but I figured I could get some good input from everyone. I currently have a model 3 and my wife has a CR-V. We are looking at getting rid of the CR-V and getting an ID.4 or Q4 for my wife, then replacing the model 3 with the R1T when it’s available. Are there families on her that are fully electric? How has it been? Do you live in cold climates or are you in California?

My wife is concerned about going fully electric for our cars and wanted feedback from others.

Thanks for any input!!
I think it's great you two are thinking of taking the plunge to go all electric. I know after the Rivian arrives, most of my miles will be all electric, but I don't live in as cold of a climate as yours. In looking at The Weather Channel, it looks like your average lows are below freezing from December into March, with lots of really cold snaps from time to time. A friend of mine from Columbus tells of how his engine froze completely during the winter years ago while on campus at OSU.

There are many people here that know much more about the impact of the cold on EV batteries, and charging in particular. Some questions I wonder about include:

Would both vehicles be garaged and plugged in at night?

I'm assuming if you're in Marysville proper, and not way out of town, you're relatively free of power outages, right?

Are you taking longer trips in the Winter or pretty much just short daily commuting?

Any level 1 or 2 options at work?

Do you have a fairly robust DCFC network along the paths you might frequent in Winter?

Again, I'm not well-versed on the impact of deep-freeze type of extended conditions. From what I've read since Rivian piqued my interest, it sounds like it can be managed, even if your range takes a hit.

Again, good for you two! I hope to hear of more people going all-electric. Having others see that will help to tip the tables away from fossil-fueled vehicles.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Fully electric? Not yet. I used to have a 2007 Jeep and Infinity SUV. Both were gas hogs insatiable guzzlers. I eventually sold the Jeep for a Hyundai Elantra and later on sold the Infinity for a Chevy Bolt. I try to use the Bolt exclusively, but there are times I let the others in my household drive the Bolt so they get used to the EV experience. Getting rid of the Bolt as soon as I get my Rivian and once the family is fully integrated, probably a R1S to replace the Hyundai.

OP
OP

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I think it's great you two are thinking of taking the plunge to go all electric. I know after the Rivian arrives, most of my miles will be all electric, but I don't live in as cold of a climate as yours. In looking at The Weather Channel, it looks like your average lows are below freezing from December into March, with lots of really cold snaps from time to time. A friend of mine from Columbus tells of how his engine froze completely during the winter years ago while on campus at OSU.
Lows at night can get into the teens/20s pretty regularly and highs in the day can be anywhere from like 20-50. There definitely can be extremely cold snaps, but we haven't had them in a while and it might only be a few days if we do. Ohio weather is definitely warmer than upstate NY where we are both originally from....very cold and lots of snow.

There are many people here that know much more about the impact of the cold on EV batteries, and charging in particular. Some questions I wonder about include:

Would both vehicles be garaged and plugged in at night?
Yes. Both vehicles stay in the garage and it's typically 30-50 degrees in there depending on the outside weather.

I'm assuming if you're in Marysville proper, and not way out of town, you're relatively free of power outages, right?
Yes, we live in town and I think we have had the power go out for many an hour since we moved here ~2 years ago.

Are you taking longer trips in the Winter or pretty much just short daily commuting?
We pretty much just do daily commuting during the winter. If we do anything then it's going back to NY to visit family around Christmas. Other than that no major trips unless it's heading south.

Any level 1 or 2 options at work?
I work from home so just taking my daughter to school/sitter, then coming back home to the garage. The wife works about 35 miles away with no charging at her work, but if the weather is really bad, then she probably would have work cancelled since she's a teacher.

Do you have a fairly robust DCFC network along the paths you might frequent in Winter?
I-71 and I-90 heading north/east have a pretty robust Supercharger network and it looks like good Electrify America network

Again, I'm not well-versed on the impact of deep-freeze type of extended conditions. From what I've read since Rivian piqued my interest, it sounds like it can be managed, even if your range takes a hit.
My model 3 definitely takes a hit in the winter, but for our normal driving it's not a big deal. It would just come into play for longer trips, which we don't do much of during the winter.

Again, good for you two! I hope to hear of more people going all-electric. Having others see that will help to tip the tables away from fossil-fueled vehicles.
We actually just locked in our order for an ID.4 tonight. Like I told my wife, if she doesn't like it when it comes in, then we get our deposit back and walk away. It's a fully refundable deposit all the way through.
Sponsored