Sponsored

Have you driven both R1S and R1T for longer than a First Mile?

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I have owned an R1S since March, riding on the 22s. I just picked up a loaner R1T while the service center is addressing a few minor issues. It has 20s. And wow, the driving experience is way better.

My R1S rocks forward and back, as well as little side rolling, when in Auto Soft; it's just too bouncy. I much prefer driving it in Sport Hard as a result, but then I feel every crack in the road. The R1T drives like a dream in Auto Soft, none of the rolling at all, no bouncing. Feels solid, planted. Only thing I don't like is there is definitely more road noise due to the ATs.

I had previously read about some of these differences between the two (on here, on Reddit, etc), but was actually surprised by how notable it was.

Now I am curious how much of this is due to tires and how much is due to vehicle differences (wheel base length, weight distribution, etc). I have read all the theories behind how both might affect driving. I posted on Reddit and many said the difference was just due to the different tires.

So I am curious: can you post below if you have driven both the R1S and R1T preferably for more than just a first mile (you've spent some time in both either because you own both or you've had a loaner), what wheels each had, and if you noticed a driving difference?

Love my R1S, love the way it looks with the 22s, I *might* consider swapping for 20s if the difference is really just the tires. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Tires will make an enormous difference. That much more profile from the 22ā€œ to 20ā€ can be a game-changer. I know there are others here who have made that swap, so hopefully they chime in.

I havenā€™t driven the S, only the T, and I will say that itā€™s the best handling non-sports car Iā€™ve owned. Far, far superior to any truck Iā€™ve driven. It doesnā€™t do the normal truck things, and it does a magical job at hiding its mass and wheelbase. Itā€˜s even better than my old MDX that had the magnetic dampers (which were also voodoo-powered).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

22" R1T and 21" R1S. Depends on the road but my R1T does seem more compliant on bumps at higher suspension settings. In sport or lowest conserve though, R1T is definitely more rough.

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
I think your experience has more to do with the S vs T suspension settings and less to do with tires.

We have S and T. S with 22s, T with 20s. I actually think the T's suspension in auto/soft is too stiff. The S is definitely more bouncy overall but again I think thats because the suspension settings were tuned for T vs S and they haven't quite gotten the S thing worked out. The S is usually driven in auto/soft and low suspension.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I've been driving an R1T for the last year. First with 21" wheels. Handled and rode like my 911. Switched the R1T to 20" wheels and it really settled the ride. Much smoother, but did not handle as well as the 21" wheels. But I liked the ride FAR better with the 20" wheels.

Last weekend I test drove an R1S with 22" wheels. Far too rough for me. I am a firm believer (based on experience) that more sidewall will smooth out the ride.

On my F250 I went from 20" wheels to 17" wheels and the ride is much smoother. So my take is the smaller the wheel the softer/smoother the ride is... but the larger the wheel is the better the handling is.

So it is a trade off. Do you want handling or comfy smooth ride? Larger wheels will handle better and the ride will be rougher. Smaller wheels will ride better (smoother, softer, more comfy in the cabin) but won't handle as well.

So... do you want to drive a Porsche or a Tahoe?

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Owned R1T in '22 from May to Sept. Sold it (regrettably) in the fervor of high resale value. Have R1S now since mid June. I was aware of criticism of the S ride quality substantiated by expressions of many auto-reviewers who also drove both (but for far less time).

My take on it:
  • R1T undeniably more planted, less unsettled by road irregularities
  • R1T handles switchbacks amazingly well (sportscar like reflexs)
  • R1T ride quality seemed less sensitive to changes in modes/height (although changed for sure)
  • R1T has considerably longer wheelbase (like 20") which plays a big role in this behavior
  • R1T longer wheelbase makes it a real "tank" in low-speed parking lot situations

• R1S is bouncier and rocks more especially in All Purpose model (soft) standard and high
  • R1S is too stiff and harsher in Sport mode lowest-setting (but a hoot on good roads)
  • R1S seems to have a good compromise in Sport, Low, Soft (yet still more unsettled)
  • R1S shorter wheelbase makes it "squirrellier" but also sharper if well driven
  • R1S shorter wheelbase is undeniably easier to maneuver in parking lots
Both my vehicles were Launch Editions, 20" AT tires

I believe Rivian will continue to make meaningful refinements to the R1S suspension tuning and remain very hopeful with each software update. I was an early follower of Rivian and watched those yearning years of 2018-2020 seeing all those developmental R1Ts running all over the place in every condition possible. No doubt that led to tremendous amounts of data to refine the T-tuning ahead of selling to the first customer (or employee).

In contrast, the S was obviously like 3 years behind the T given that spotting an R1S was harder than finding a real unicorn. So RIvian's amount of real-world road driving data on the S pales in comparison in terms of when S customer deliveries began. The S is basically playing a game of 2-3 years of catchup.

OP
OP

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Owned R1T in '22 from May to Sept. Sold it (regrettably) in the fervor of high resale value. Have R1S now since mid June. I was aware of criticism of the S ride quality substantiated by expressions of many auto-reviewers who also drove both (but for far less time).

My take on it:
  • R1T undeniably more planted, less unsettled by road irregularities
  • R1T handles switchbacks amazingly well (sportscar like reflexs)
  • R1T ride quality seemed less sensitive to changes in modes/height (although changed for sure)
  • R1T has considerably longer wheelbase (like 20") which plays a big role in this behavior
  • R1T longer wheelbase makes it a real "tank" in low-speed parking lot situations

• R1S is bouncier and rocks more especially in All Purpose model (soft) standard and high
  • R1S is too stiff and harsher in Sport mode lowest-setting (but a hoot on good roads)
  • R1S seems to have a good compromise in Sport, Low, Soft (yet still more unsettled)
  • R1S shorter wheelbase makes it "squirrellier" but also sharper if well driven
  • R1S shorter wheelbase is undeniably easier to maneuver in parking lots
Both my vehicles were Launch Editions, 20" AT tires

I believe Rivian will continue to make meaningful refinements to the R1S suspension tuning and remain very hopeful with each software update. I was an early follower of Rivian and watched those yearning years of 2018-2020 seeing all those developmental R1Ts running all over the place in every condition possible. No doubt that led to tremendous amounts of data to refine the T-tuning ahead of selling to the first customer (or employee).

In contrast, the S was obviously like 3 years behind the T given that spotting an R1S was harder than finding a real unicorn. So RIvian's amount of real-world road driving data on the S pales in comparison in terms of when S customer deliveries began. The S is basically playing a game of 2-3 years of catchup.
This is exactly my experience driving the two, and I think it underscores that the vehicle differences I have felt have as much to do with the driving differences as anything else. I love driving the S in sport low on smooth curvy roads in my 22s, it is just amazing!

Thanks all for the replies so far, super helpful.
Sponsored