Sponsored

Has anyone changed their Launch edition build?

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
@Trandall - truth be told, I have same mindset as your last point.

Rivian truck is hugely appealing, and being one of the first people to get them in 2021 is its own thrill. But in back of my mind, I contemplate what risks may lurk in a brand-new vehicle from an infant automaker. Rivian has far exceeded most in doing lengthy, methodical product R&D, field testing. Yet that still cannot reveal the nuances of a higher-volume production line. Giving Rivian a couple years to shake things out, go public, earn the badge of a top-quality builder and establish real-world credibility does cross my mind.

For (late) 2021 or early 2022 there are many more BEV's coming to market - albeit few true adventure vehicles. Even those are coming from upstarts or Ford/GM - all of whom have some first-gen build uncertainties.

Wide-ranging options now or near-term in $40-80K territory, including some PHEVs and not necessarily all truck/SUV include:
  • Audi e-tron (base)
  • Toyota RAV4-Prime
  • Volvo Polestar-2
  • Hyundai Ioniq-5
  • Porsche Cayenne-Hybrid (yes, base without a SINGLE OPTION)
  • Porsche Macan-E (sometime in 2022)
  • Nissan Ariya
  • Tesla's CT
I agree with both of your assessments. Tbh if the green act resets the EV tax credit for tesla at 7k for another 400l vehicles im really considering buying a Tesla M3 as holdover for 1-2 years while Rivian identifies and corrects some issues.

I recently watched a model 3 review and they were showing the minor difference between the 2020 and 2021 model years. Essentially minor problems that were identified and corrected. Made me a little more cautious about getting the launch edition.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I agree with both of your assessments. Tbh if the green act resets the EV tax credit for tesla at 7k for another 400l vehicles im really considering buying a Tesla M3 as holdover for 1-2 years while Rivian identifies and corrects some issues.
If history is any indication, the price of Teslas vehicles will go up ($5K?) if a Tax credit becomes available. Probably less of an increase on the base trims. Tesla is not shy about adjusting MSRP to drive (or in response of) demand. They just dropped the price of the base M3 by $1K while raising the performance MSRP

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
If history is any indication, the price of Teslas vehicles will go up ($5K?) if a Tax credit becomes available. Probably less of an increase on the base trims. Tesla is not shy about adjusting MSRP to drive (or in response of) demand. They just dropped the price of the base M3 by $1K while raising the performance MSRP
I've remember seeing fluctuations with the price and the removal/addition of various trims, which came with price changes of their own, but I dont remember seeing any price changes that seemed commensurate with the reduction of their EV tax credit.

I may not have been following as closely as I've thought though.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Tbh if the green act resets the EV tax credit for tesla at 7k for another 400l vehicles im really considering buying a Tesla M3 as holdover for 1-2 years while Rivian identifies and corrects some issues.
This is a big one for me as well. The Model Y is on my list of options, and if the Green Act plays out as expected, an R1S Launch Edition will end up being over 50% more expensive than a Long Range Model Y (edit: numbers for Seattle, where sales tax is 10.xx% and there are no additional EV incentives for vehicles over $45k). That price difference might make me more willing to compromise on proper off-road capabilities / ground clearance or third row seating.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I have changed my color twice and added and removed the kitchen one time each. Limestone, Launch Green, and now Glacier White...Just don't touch anywhere near the packages and you will be ok.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I recently watched a model 3 review and they were showing the minor difference between the 2020 and 2021 model years. Essentially minor problems that were identified and corrected. Made me a little more cautious about getting the launch edition.
I don't know if Rivian will identify major/minor issues after early production, but I think it's worth keeping in mind the two companies (Rivian and Tesla) have take VERY different approaches to product design / development.

Tesla referred to their approach (I believe) as "first build" - they strategically decided to put out on the market what they could put out quickly - without spending a lot of time testing, refining, and improving their production process (that will certainly lead to quality problems that can be addressed over time - with better design for manufacturing and manufacturing processes.

Rivian on the other hand, I believe, is spending a TON of time designing and testing their vehicles - both in function, and in terms of developing a manufacturing process that makes it easier for the workers to get quality right - the first time.

It's one thing to design a complex vehicle on a computer, it's a different thing to design it with the production process in mind to make quality standards easier to achieve. I believe Rivian is focusing on both those quality aspects through rigorous testing (as best I can tell).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I don't know if Rivian will identify major/minor issues after early production, but I think it's worth keeping in mind the two companies (Rivian and Tesla) have take VERY different approaches to product design / development.

Tesla referred to their approach (I believe) as "first build" - they strategically decided to put out on the market what they could put out quickly - without spending a lot of time testing, refining, and improving their production process (that will certainly lead to quality problems that can be addressed over time - with better design for manufacturing and manufacturing processes.

Rivian on the other hand, I believe, is spending a TON of time designing and testing their vehicles - both in function, and in terms of developing a manufacturing process that makes it easier for the workers to get quality right - the first time.

It's one thing to design a complex vehicle on a computer, it's a different thing to design it with the production process in mind to make quality standards easier to achieve. I believe Rivian is focusing on both those quality aspects through rigorous testing (as best I can tell).
Along these lines, just last week took my wife to test drive the Model Y. She is not a "car person" but she noticed build quality issues - primarily panel gaps - without me saying a thing. The rear hatch had over a 3/8 inch "step" from being flush with the tail light on the left. Right side was pretty good. But lots of other panels were close to if not rubbing things like lights, while others were way wider than I would accept if I ordered. This is on a unit that they are demoing to the public and presumably would be a stellar example. Some owners have reported good build quality, others not so much.
I do own TSLA and often recommend them to people. But I'm not blind to some of the issues they have. I see their primary advantage as the Supercharger network. YMMV

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I switched from a LE R1S to a LE R1T. No issues at all. Just do not change from a LE to a non LE product and save.
Very interesting, I was told by CS that this was not possible. Could be due to all LEs being reserved??? The R1T is my first choice, but it doesn’t fit in my garage but the R1S does. I think my wife would prefer this being parked in the garage.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Very interesting, I was told by CS that this was not possible. Could be due to all LEs being reserved??? The R1T is my first choice, but it doesn’t fit in my garage but the R1S does. I think my wife would prefer this being parked in the garage.
They have updated their Configuration site multiple times since then.
Rivian R1T R1S Has anyone changed their Launch edition build? Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 8.49.07 PM

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

@Trandall

Wide-ranging options now or near-term in $40-80K territory, including some PHEVs and not necessarily all truck/SUV include:
  • Audi e-tron (base)
  • Toyota RAV4-Prime
  • Volvo Polestar-2
  • Hyundai Ioniq-5
  • Porsche Cayenne-Hybrid (yes, base without a SINGLE OPTION)
  • Porsche Macan-E (sometime in 2022)
  • Nissan Ariya
  • Tesla's CT

For me I think the R1S in this case cannot be really compared to anything except maybe SUV's below:

-Dodge Durango Hellcat ( 3 Rows W/ Similar Power)
-Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
-Range Rover
-Posche Cayenne
-Tesla Model X
-Defender 110 (just not powerful)

Out of all of them, if you compare everything the R1S in terms of pricing its a freaking bargain at least when it comes to Hauling 6/7 people (Easily, not tight like most cars listed above), Power Specs, Off Road Performance and Pricing.

You can get Performance from Tesla for 100k+.
You can get off road performance from Range Rover 100k+

You can't get both for starting at 70k and maxing out around 80's with some nice wheels.

SRT's would guzzle gas like no other so you can't really compare the 2 as well.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I've changed colors and models a dozen times with no problems, always staying within LE parameters. Why so fickle? A lot depends on whether I'll have one car or two and, if it's two, do I keep my Prius for running around town or my 4WD Tacoma for work and light off-roading. No wife, so no backup vehicle. If I keep the Prius, I'll go R1T, but if I get rid of all my ICE's, I'll go R1S.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I think I have it today :). I think it's probably one of those things that I will rarely use but will regret not getting - if that makes any sense.
harkco, That is classic FOMO, Fear Of Missing Out. I'm a card carrying sufferer of that malady and a charter member of the NOMO FOMO recovery group. As such, I'm also suffering with the camp kitchen decision. Not sure it merits the $5,000 price, but it sure is cool and will be greatly appreciated when needed. As DucRider points out, for that price, they don't even include the plates, cups, utensils, etc.? Could be a marketing ploy to see just how gullible we are. That said, it looks great for camping, tailgating, or just showboating with friends & strangers. I'm still in....for now....

I had the R1T ordered within about five minutes after the Configurator opened. I went with the camp kitchen along with Launch Green, the Forest Edge interior and the regular 20-inch wheels. Being afraid of screwing it up, I've been following LoneStar's solid advice, long before I heard it.

If I do choose to make a change, I'll do it at the time the order is finalized. I'll take Rivian's word that we'll be able to see and touch and drive these vehicles, including examining colors, interiors, wheels, camp kitchen, etc., before our decisions need to be cemented. I'm guessing that might require a road trip for many of us, but that's all part of the Adventure.

Bring. It. On.

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Harkco, That is classic FOMO, Fear Of Missing Out. I'm a card carrying sufferer of that malady. As such, I'm also suffering with the camp kitchen decision. Not sure it merits the $5,000(?) price, but it sure is cool and will be greatly appreciated when needed. Great for camping, tailgating, or just showboating with friends & strangers.

I had the R1T ordered within about five minutes after the Configurator opened. I went with the camp kitchen along with Launch Green, the Forest Edge interior and the regular 20-inch wheels. Being afraid of screwing it up, I've been following LoneStar's solid advice, long before I heard it.

If I do choose to make a change, I'll do it at the time the order is fulfilled. I'll take Rivian's word that we'll be able to see and touch and drive these vehicles, including examining colors, interiors, wheels, camp kitchen, etc., before our decisions need to be finalized. I'm guessing that might require a road trip for many of us, but that's all part of the Adventure.

Bring. It. On.
I understand the FOMO on Rivians in general, but I feel like the kitchen is one of those things that could be added on after the fact if you really wanted. Plus, there might be more gear tunnel accessories that Rivian or other third party companies create down the line ... It's not the same as, say, going for the large battery pack and then wishing you had gotten the max pack.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Harkco, That is classic FOMO, Fear Of Missing Out. I'm a card carrying sufferer of that malady. As such, I'm also suffering with the camp kitchen decision. Not sure it merits the $5,000(?) price, but it sure is cool and will be greatly appreciated when needed. Great for camping, tailgating, or just showboating with friends & strangers.

If I do choose to make a change, I'll do it at the time the order is fulfilled. I'll take Rivian's word that we'll be able to see and touch and drive these vehicles, including examining colors, interiors, wheels, camp kitchen, etc., before our decisions need to be finalized. I'm guessing that might require a road trip for many of us, but that's all part of the Adventure.

Bring. It. On.
I've never really been a FOMO kind of person - but I get your point. My kids are as FOMO as the day is long. I'm more of FONHSWINI type of person (Fear Of Not Having Sh!t When I Need It).

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I've never really been a FOMO kind of person - but I get your point. My kids are as FOMO as the day is long. I'm more of FONHSWINI type of person (Fear Of Not Having Sh!t When I Need It).
harkco, Thanks for introducing me to yet another support group I need to consider, to keep my Fear Of Missing Out from getting out of hand.?
Sponsored