First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In WY, having a later model year means you pay higher fees each year when you register the car. You pay based on MSRP x an age factor that is a declining scale from 60% down to 15% over 6 years. If you buy a 2022 model year in 2021, then you’d pay the highest rate for two years before it starts declining. Over 6 years on a $75,000 car it would yield ~$1,000 in additional registration fees if it’s a later MY.
Interesting. The VLF portion of the registration in California is based on the original registration date and purchase price. It goes down 10% a year through year 8, 5% for the next 3 years and stays at 15% after that.

Does not look at car value or model year, just when it was first registered and the purchase price.

Edit: The VLF is 2% based on the value schedule above

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Asking for a friend...Why does MY matter?
Regardless of the designated Model Year, my Neanderthal friends with F-150s will continue to berate my decision to get an EV....until I get them in the passenger's seat. "Now that I've shown you the shortcut to 60 MPH, let me demonstrate the Tank Turn in your front yard. Buckle up, chump!"

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Regardless of the designated Model Year, my Neanderthal friends with F-150s will continue to berate my decision to get an EV....until I get them in the passenger's seat. "Now that I've shown you the shortcut to 60 MPH, let me demonstrate the Tank Turn in your front yard. Buckle up, chump!"
I get asked more of why I need a new truck with a 2015 F-150. Because it’s f@cking awesome!!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I get asked more of why I need a new truck with a 2015 F-150. Because it’s f@cking awesome!!
Want*, not need. Such a pet peeve of mine...

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Asking for a friend...Why does MY matter?
Which really only matters IF you ever plan on selling. I don't plan on selling it.
It might matter for people in states that base their registration fees on value, but that isn't the case in Oregon, so it still doesn't matter to me.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Gearhead500,

I think your response would remain valid even if your F-150 was a 2022 model. Or a new Hummer EV, for that matter.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Fair enough, but it’s still the question I am asked. I through in an Oxford comma for you. ?
Gearhead500,

Your reference to the Oxford comma is the first one I’ve seen in years, dating back to an English class. ? That brings back some memories.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
They can title mine as a 2009 if I can take delivery in June!
I'm not convinced MY will have a substantial impact on resale value. Now if all non LE start shipping with improved charging capabilities or more capable Driver+ hardware then yeah more value.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I dare ask... who saw "model year designation" as the most talked-about topic so far? Not me!

someone want to switch gears here to another early-on topic to raise with your Guide?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I dare ask... who saw "model year designation" as the most talked-about topic so far? Not me!

someone want to switch gears here to another early-on topic to raise with your Guide?
Sure what's the charging curve look like and will it include the pack split to enable maximizing charger voltage above 450v.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Sure what's the charging curve look like and will it include the pack split to enable maximizing charger voltage above 450v.
Fast charging details as mentioned above, as well as home V2H/V2G capability.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They can title mine as a 2009 if I can take delivery in June!
I'm not convinced MY will have a substantial impact on resale value. Now if all non LE start shipping with improved charging capabilities or more capable Driver+ hardware then yeah more value.
Trandall, Considering I plan on keeping my R1T forever, calling it a 2009 model will speed up getting "Antique" license plates by about 13 years. Nice!

"Gather around, kids! This thing is a relic from back when people actually owned their own transportation devices. Amazing, huh!? What's that? Oh, yeah, those round things with the plastic inserts are 'wheels' with what were called 'tires' attached. Strange concept, but these transports used to roll across the ground, sometimes on 'roads' and sometimes right over the land itself. It was quite a site! If you look down from your SkyBikes, you might see remnants of those 'roads' below you. Generally, they were where our Solar Stations now sit."

"You'd never know it, but those Beer Stations your parents drive through to fill up their Growlers used to pump what was called 'Gasoline' into the earlier version of these rolling, ground-based vehicles. In fact, I saw the remains of one of those things just last week when I went surfing on the Gulf, just North of where a city called 'Houston' used to be."

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Someone might want to ask for a video of the bed opening and closing. From the Austin event it looked like the hinge is sweet, but I'm curious how the cover looks when folded up with the tailgate.
Sponsored