Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This is coming from a self-proclaimed passionate car guy, who’s owned a few fast cars and driven everything in between, I really like Rivian. I’m on my second Rivian and looking forward to the R2 and R3 ownership in the future… and for some strange reason all other cars are fading in the background. It’s not the converting to electricity or environmental priorities but the community, culture and ecosystem. Rivian makes you feels a part of som’n special, a sort of mini movement while enjoying the whole experience, even with the setbacks. It's I'm like emotionally invested??… 😳😆
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

R1T, going on 12 months of ownership. 8,600 miles, no significant issues. Daily driver and work truck. Went through the scales at the scrap yard last weekend, noted 7,400 lbs. after removing the weight of the scrap (so just truck + myself + several hundred pounds of work tools) --- this thing flies for that much weight. Tremendous power, even if I spend most of it stuck in traffic driving to jobsites in my region.

Amazing tech, do miss Android Auto a bit though. Alexa isn't as good (imho). Do wish I had a 6'+ steel bed, but I'm probably in the minority on that wish or more manufacturers would make that a standard option (LOL).

After working on my own vehicles for over 30 years, I don't miss busting my knuckles turning wrenches all the time. Maintenance really is as simple as "tire rotations and add washer fluid". Recharge overnight in my garage. Don't miss stopping at the gas station a couple times a week *at all*. 😆

Great truck. I love it, you'll love it. Welcome!

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I have a lot of my experiences posted on my channel. I also have a sizable accessories list on my website.

Charging hasn't been too much of a Rivian thing so much as a non Tesla EV thing. That's changing.

The biggest challenge with Rivian right now is service. The service folks are great here in Maryland but they are overwhelmed. The wait times are long (multiple months) for service unless the truck is totally out of service.

Service requires patience but these are excellent vehicles otherwise. And Rivian seems to be a great company that is very customer focused.

Gully

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, R1T
I have trip report somewhere ... but we went from Sacramento CA, to Providence, RI (3k mls) and back in our R1T and loved it. We had an electric fridge in the back and made lunch/snacks and walked the dogs at our stops. Never felt like we were wasting any time.

We will be doing it again this summer, with more chargers available, and adding some clip-on portable umbrellas to screen the sun while we make sandwiches. Its loads of fun for a road-trip.

Keep in mind you'll always hear many more bad reports than positive, but we love ours.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Once you take delivery you will never have contact with your Guide anyway...so, no big deal.

Now is the best time to take delivery. I've owned the truck for 1.5 years with no SuperCharger access and have had to painfully endure EA. and now that it is coming in mere weeks/months...I'm actually excited about road trips again.

The SuperChargers around your house don't matter anyway, you should be looking at ones far in the distance for road trips...those are the ones that matter.

Pro tips? PlugShare, PlugShare, PlugShare....but really not needed one you get your SuperCharger adapter.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Tomorrow I'll cross over 41K miles and I don't regret for 1 second writing a check for $78K (figuratively) for it. I love charging at home and NEVER having to stop at a gas station ever again. Fortunately I've only had to charge on a trip a couple of time. Not really a problem.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Cheers Rivian owners and fans. New here. Been stalking since my deposit several weeks ago on a shop Quad R1S.

TBH, the customer service / guide experience has left much to be desired — I suppose this isn’t surprising. Typical AWOL experience even though I have a VIN and delivery date. The guide hasn’t communicated with me once and CS keeps directing me to wait for them, even though we are approx a week away from delivery.

Anyway, between the ambiguity on purchase process (most tasks are still gated), the new supercharger news (still very few on Rivian’s map within reach), and a number of posts on this forum complaining about road tripping & long charge times in the Riv — I’m hoping some of you will be kind enough to share your positive experiences (and pro tips).

Much of this is giving me cold feet on a significant purchase but I was hooked after my first test drive and I’m really hoping it’ll all go well.

Thanks in advance.
I’m in SE Florida and have made quite a few trips to Central & North Florida to camp and it’s been a great experience. With the Tesla chargers opening up this will be a non issue once we have adapters.
Rivian R1T R1S Good News IMG_0229

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Two days short of a year and 42 miles short of 19k with my R1T. Zero regrets.

I had plenty of doubts and second thoughts going in. That all went out the window pretty quick. Since then the truck has only gotten better courtesy of regular software updates.

I’ve decided that charging angst is mostly a sensationalized media thing. The vast majority of my charging happens at home. Plug it in at night and it’s charged in the morning. The nav system does a good job plotting charging stops on road trips. PlugShare is a great resource to validate the nav recommendations.

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 RT1, 23 Solterra, 05 4Runner, 77 FJ40, 70 FJ40
Occupation
farmer
Clubs

I was an early adopter of a 2016 Model X, likely one of the first in Philadelphia. Had all sorts off glitches in the first 6-9 months. And all resolved adequately. No dealership, unreliable service, and there was then, a question of the viability of Tesla as well. However, sold my 7 year old Model X last fall and traded up, way up, for my R1T (Cool-aid drinker, maybe).

I have had a couple of very minor issues, one requiring a mobile service visit (easy). My purchase and representative interactions have been excellent, never had an issue with call backs. Delivery was smooth with a knowledgeable rep trailering it to my home.

I am a car person, my dad owned a Ford and Lincoln Dealership and I grew up under cars. My Model X is the only car I've ever owned longer than a year and I absolutely love and intend to own my R1T for a long time. My only complaint is that there are no "dealers" in or near Philadelphia (same experience with my 2016 Tesla).

BTW, I have an order in for an R2 for my wife, who loves and drives a Solterra.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
R1S was my first EV. initial "preorder" almost 4 years before delivery. 15k miles in 16 months, one accident, two mobile service visits, and a major towed service center visit and I would do it all over again and again. I've owned (and own) more expensive vehicles and the R1S has been the best driver. Keep in mind that 15k in 16 months may seem like I don't drive it much but it is one of 7 cars in my stable. In the same period my F-150 probably got used 3,000 miles.

Has Rivian service, customer service, etc. been perfect. nope. But it's been a great ride. The only vehicle that comes close to the enjoyment factor is my <1 month old INEOS Grenadier but it is amazing for different reasons. Pretty much everyday I face a dilemma on which one to drive.

Sponsored

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My experience has been amazing.

We've done multiple road trips...in a dead zone area like MN and Wi, and it was just fine.

Don't over think this. The car is amazing. You'll love it.
Agree. My guide was, and still is, amazing. She has been very helpful.

hnaymd

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Physician
New Rivian owner. I had the exact same experience with guide, purchase too. I agree it is quite something to behold. As the son of an ICE car dealer and extensive knowledge of the purchase process they have some major kinks to work out. My thought is this was the first place they made employee cuts. BUT don’t let this stand in front of owning an awesome car. I picked mine up in denver 2 weeks ago and the delivery process was easy and straight forward and the staff was awesome. They let me look over every inch of the car before taking possession and answered every question without hesitation. After the crappy purchase service the delivery was grand. The drive home wa 6 hours of figuring out the care, charging networks and more. I would without hesitation go through the headache of purchasing again. I LOVE my R1S. I will also say that most of the fit and finish issues people gripe about mine does not have accept the seal issue causing excessive wind noise at higher speeds on the passenger side but that is minor and fixable. Go to your delivery and then decide. bUT don’t swipe accept on your phone till your sure your ready! I bet you will take it. They are awesome cars.

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
Cheers Rivian owners and fans. New here. Been stalking since my deposit several weeks ago on a shop Quad R1S.

TBH, the customer service / guide experience has left much to be desired — I suppose this isn’t surprising. Typical AWOL experience even though I have a VIN and delivery date. The guide hasn’t communicated with me once and CS keeps directing me to wait for them, even though we are approx a week away from delivery.

Anyway, between the ambiguity on purchase process (most tasks are still gated), the new supercharger news (still very few on Rivian’s map within reach), and a number of posts on this forum complaining about road tripping & long charge times in the Riv — I’m hoping some of you will be kind enough to share your positive experiences (and pro tips).

Much of this is giving me cold feet on a significant purchase but I was hooked after my first test drive and I’m really hoping it’ll all go well.

Thanks in advance.
Ive experienced the exact opposite of you...MY guide,Sarah was great up to the actual delivery and the delivery person spent 1.5 hours when they brought the T...AND i'll be bringing in my T for a new Auto Tonneau on April 1st at the newly opened Tampa service center....I'll report back on that experience...In the meantime, I LOVE my T...13xxx vin, 8000 miles, 15 months of ownership and it gets better all the time with OTAs...I've gone from Sarasota FL to Boca and then back to Naples, on one single charge....Charged at WalMart in Naple...was pretty empty but worked well...Enjoy the journey!!!

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

No issues of note for me one year in. Charging at home is great (mostly from solar). It can be challenging on the road (especially northern new england) , but with planning and a little patience it has been fine. In hindsight, I worried way more than I should have. And charging is only going to get better (sig so in my opinion).
My guide was great and my R1T is an awesome vehicle. Hope you enjoy yours.

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I just found out yesterday that a location in NH where I need to charge, which was a breeze in my Teslas with 8 and later 16 plugs but only had a 4-plug EA station with usually 3 working, is about to get an 8-plug RAN. Plus we will have access to newer superchargers as soon as the adapters ship. Things are changing rapidly - I also charged earlier this week at a brand new 8-plug EVGo station near Hartford CT with multiple food and restroom options. Worked seamlessly with plug and charge, and I was the only one there.

As for my R1S I got last summer, other than some initial 12v issues it’s been flawless. You’ll love it.
Sponsored