Sponsored

GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!)

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I was installing my Goat Fabrication R1S step sliders today and ran into another issue. The passenger side 2nd from the front slot does not line up to the bolt thread. The drivers side worked on all 5 slots and just 4 slots from the passenger side.

Right now that is how I have it installed. Don't love leaving an open gaping hole there with the 2nd bolt on the passenger side.
Can you provide a photo of the issue?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sure I can take one later today. Looks like the tolerances are really tight and I called Adam and he suggested drilling the slot to open it up further to allow the bolt to go through. Havent done that yet, original installer did not want to do that, I'm also worried about rust once some of the powdercoating is removed.

On another note the sliders seem a bit small for the R1S. Looks a little bit awkward to my eye, maybe I'll grow to like them eventually but every other slider, board out there is longer and this one is just seems a few inches shorter than it should be

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sure I can take one later today. Looks like the tolerances are really tight and I called Adam and he suggested drilling the slot to open it up further to allow the bolt to go through. Havent done that yet, original installer did not want to do that, I'm also worried about rust once some of the powdercoating is removed.

On another note the sliders seem a bit small for the R1S. Looks a little bit awkward to my eye, maybe I'll grow to like them eventually but every other slider, board out there is longer and this one is just seems a few inches shorter than it should be
I don't disagree with them maybe looking short. Adam has been doing this longer than I have, so it's another thing I deferred to his judgement on. The actual step tubing is common with one of the other platforms they produce sliders for on both vehicles.

With the way the front and rear wheel arches integrate into the underbody plastics, addtional work would have been involved in making them "look right" that he said wouldn't serve much of a purpose besides inflating the costs. I personally don't plan on taking the R1S off-roading like I will my R1T, but would definitely like to hear about people that do and if they have problems here.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ordered one as well. Thanks @Dark-Fx for sharing. Do you know if the puddle lights are impacted by the sliders?
Not a perfect photo obviously, took it this morning slightly after sunrise.
Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) HJ3p7y3y-O9wNnRTQFbk=w1266-h953-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The actual step tubing is common with one of the other platforms they produce sliders for on both vehicles.
Yes I figured that was the case, sizing seems more appropriate for a Bronco or some other vehicle and it was reused for the R1S which makes it feel a bit shorter than had it been customized to the Rivian length.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Rivian is also known to make small running changes. And these changes are not made public. So this makes aftermarket support harder.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian is also known to make small running changes. And these changes are not made public. So this makes aftermarket support harder.
I did automotive controls in a previous life. I'd be surprised by a bolt hole in the frame getting moved by such a small amount without a damn good reason for it. Completely removed is a different story though.

I'm definitely somewhat concerned about the changes that could be coming in this upcoming "refresh" for aftermarket stuff like this though.

Arrowheadmtb

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manager in tech
Not sure why I didn't get a notification about these posts, but... Adam measured out the width of the hole and tried to space out enough for the pucks. I don't have nor use any pucks myself, I pulled my covers off and haven't looked back. I had voiced my concern about that rearmost point having the potential of being too tight for the pucks if the support wasn't notched out.

Can you provide detail on what pucks you're using? If you loosen the slider, is there any room for it to move back out of the way for the jacking points after re-tightening?
No, there really isn't much play in the whole system, as the bolt diameter is pretty close to the slot diameter in the sliders.

I think I'll just end up machining a 1/4 inch or so off of my rear 2 jack pucks. I'm always looking for an excuse to knock the dust off of my mill!

Arrowheadmtb

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manager in tech
Can you provide a photo of the issue?
Uh oh...I had the exact same issue. The 2nd from the front on my passenger side was about a quarter inch off. (The slot was 1/4 inch too far back to line up with the hole).

I was able to use a dremel to very slowly grind off about 1/4 inch of the inside of the slot on the miss-aligned tab, and then the bolt worked OK...if I need to get that bolt off, I'll need to use an extractor-style socket, as I really buggered up that bolt with an impact gun to get it to overcome the friction of the bolt shaft rubbing on the slot.

Arrowheadmtb

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manager in tech
Uh oh...I had the exact same issue. The 2nd from the front on my passenger side was about a quarter inch off. (The slot was 1/4 inch too far back to line up with the hole).

I was able to use a dremel to very slowly grind off about 1/4 inch of the inside of the slot on the miss-aligned tab, and then the bolt worked OK...if I need to get that bolt off, I'll need to use an extractor-style socket, as I really buggered up that bolt with an impact gun to get it to overcome the friction of the bolt shaft rubbing on the slot.
Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) 20240204_164851

Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I think I'll just end up machining a 1/4 inch or so off of my rear 2 jack pucks. I'm always looking for an excuse to knock the dust off of my mill!
I just got back in town and checked mine. First time seeing them in person actually.

I can unfortunately confirm rear jack pucks don’t fit. If you don’t mind using your mill can I send you my EV Sportline pucks to add to your machining queue?

This is a bummer since this is what’s advertised on the product page:

• Does NOT Interfere with Factory Lift Pin Location

Arrowheadmtb

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manager in tech
I just got back in town and checked mine. First time seeing them in person actually.

I can unfortunately confirm rear jack pucks don’t fit. If you don’t mind using your mill can I send you my EV Sportline pucks to add to your machining queue?

Let me see how mine look first... I'm not exactly a real machinist, so my "work" is often not the greatest!

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I talked with Adam about this issue today. He made a bad assumption about a set of pucks he found that weren't as large of a diameter through the plastic panel. Anything shipping out going forward is going to get additional clearance in this bracket, so shouldn't be an issue for anyone who has an order in process or will order in the future. And anyone that has the issue today can reach out to him about it. This is only an issue for the R1S sliders because of the hole location, the R1T has several inches of clearance so should never have been a problem.

As for the bolt hole problem, he said they've corrected an issue with their assembly jig and it should no longer be an issue for future orders. Same deal as above, if someone has issues to reach out to him about it and he'll make things right.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Adam wanted to record some video of me really whacking these things in rock crawl mode today, so I obliged. Video should be incoming. He was obviously not a fan of my driving skillz and lack of following directions but the sliders held up just fine besides leaving some of the paint on the rocks.

Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) 1707846057965

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I talked with Adam about this issue today. He made a bad assumption about a set of pucks he found that weren't as large of a diameter through the plastic panel. Anything shipping out going forward is going to get additional clearance in this bracket, so shouldn't be an issue for anyone who has an order in process or will order in the future. And anyone that has the issue today can reach out to him about it. This is only an issue for the R1S sliders because of the hole location, the R1T has several inches of clearance so should never have been a problem.

As for the bolt hole problem, he said they've corrected an issue with their assembly jig and it should no longer be an issue for future orders. Same deal as above, if someone has issues to reach out to him about it and he'll make things right.
Here are some pics of trying to line up the EV Sportline puck with the GOAT sliders. Not sure what the fix will be for mine but glad to know Adam is working on something. I bet a revision will help accommodate.

@Dark-Fx - appreciate your work on this too!

Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) 1707849080941

Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) 1707849132310

Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) 1707849148812

Rivian R1T R1S GOAT Fabrication Rock Sliders (R1S and R1T Available!) 1707849165438
Sponsored