Sponsored

Go Fast Campers

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've traded a few emails with Go Fast Campers, they're looking into it. (I'm obviously interested, see my avatar ?). They're aware of the complicating factors (bed rail buttons, unibody construction, sharkfin antenna, spoiler, no accessory rail in the bed) and seem confident they're well within their abilities.

Sounds like they're waiting on early deliveries in their area but failing that, I've volunteered my March/April delivery for measurements.

It's more expensive than the RTT, but has a few major advantages - you can stand up in the bed even in the elements (so you can change, make coffee, whataever), you can still use the bed as a bed with the tent on, you can mount things like awnings and solar to it. The biggest drawbacks are increased cost, drag, and it's semi-permanent (removable but needs a hoist and requires re-sealing to the bed rails every time).

For me this is a good option to make the R1T feasible for camping at ski areas and on extended road trips (and I can keep the dog crated below the tent), without investing in a full trailer.
Nice info! I'm also looking into camping at ski areas. You might even be able to stealth camp at times if you don't pitch the tent and just sleep in the camper portion.
Sponsored

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

GFC Superlite ready for mounting on bed rack. Just need truck
Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers SuperLitePosterResizeShopify_1200x
to go with it. 2nd half 2023 ?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Nice info! I'm also looking into camping at ski areas. You might even be able to stealth camp at times if you don't pitch the tent and just sleep in the camper portion.
I’m 6’4” and the bed is 4’6”. I’ll be pitching the tent ?

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
I’m 6’4” and the bed is 4’6”. I’ll be pitching the tent ?
Yeah I tend to think if you want a camper just go with the one from Rivian, especially for 2/3 the price.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah I tend to think if you want a camper just go with the one from Rivian, especially for 2/3 the price.
Pop up campers like the GFC have a number of advantages including the ability to stand up inside, preserve full use of the bed (e.g. shuttling bikes) while it’s mounted, and heat the enclosed space. They’re also a ton faster to deploy and stow.

The Yakima tent is cool but doesn’t check boxes I need for winter camping and skiing.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
The buttons are ahead of and behind the mounting points, if they can’t design around that then I’d be wary of buying anything from them. ?
The issue is it’s tightly sealed to the bed (bulb seal all around the perimeter) to keep weather/dust out. It’s not clear if there’s a way to lock out the buttons on the bed rail so you don’t want the camper seal mashing your buttons all the time.

It can be designed around (GFC didn’t seem worried) but it complicates the install and makes it more “unique” than other trucks.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The issue is it’s tightly sealed to the bed (bulb seal all around the perimeter) to keep weather/dust out. It’s not clear if there’s a way to lock out the buttons on the bed rail so you don’t want the camper seal mashing your buttons all the time.

It can be designed around (GFC didn’t seem worried) but it complicates the install and makes it more “unique” than other trucks.
it seems straightforward - put the seal inboard of the switches/4 attachment points on the top of the bedsides(they are nice and wide), or make a cutout the size of the area around the switches/ mounting points and contour the seal around those spots.

wish I had a CAD model of an R1T

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I really dig the GFC, though recently found these guys and would love to see them also consider the R1T.

https://www.topotoppers.com/

That said, I currently have a Frontrunner rack on my GX470 and a Frontrunner RTT in the garage I put on when I go camping. The tents about 95# and has been the best $1000 Ive spent on my overlanding equipment. When I get the R1T I will be selling the GX470… but not the RTT! It’ll fit just right on the new truck!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I really like the concept behind these:

https://www.redtailoverland.com/

Obviously pricey but comparable to a tear drop. That said wouldn't work on an R1T due to length but maybe on a R1S.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I really like the concept behind these:

https://www.redtailoverland.com/

Obviously pricey but comparable to a tear drop. That said wouldn't work on an R1T due to length but maybe on a R1S.
Yeah, the Redtail product is extremely cool, but every bit as expensive as a really nice trailer. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me with a glass roof R1S, but with an R1T (with a cab-height rack or camper that you could climb up through) or a metal-roof R1S (especially with a passthrough), it could be very cool.

That said, it's pretty thick (big enough that it would look pretty awkward/ugly on an R1) and probably a surprisingly bad aero hit - I'd be surprised if it's all that much better than just towing or putting a camper on anyway. And you still don't get any conditioned standing room.

They're doing awesome stuff but for the price and form factor, you're probably better off picking your vehicle based on the Redtail, not trying to adapt it to something like the R1S.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, the Redtail product is extremely cool, but every bit as expensive as a really nice trailer. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me with a glass roof R1S, but with an R1T (with a cab-height rack or camper that you could climb up through) or a metal-roof R1S (especially with a passthrough), it could be very cool.

That said, it's pretty thick (big enough that it would look pretty awkward/ugly on an R1) and probably a surprisingly bad aero hit - I'd be surprised if it's all that much better than just towing or putting a camper on anyway. And you still don't get any conditioned standing room.

They're doing awesome stuff but for the price and form factor, you're probably better off picking your vehicle based on the Redtail, not trying to adapt it to something like the R1S.
Yeah, I agree with your gripes. I currently have a camper van that my future R1T cannot replace.

I personally don't like a trailer because my use case is mostly ski bumming and most resorts will not allow a trailer. Also a soft sided tent is not ideal for winter conditions. If I could fit a Redtail on my R1T I would at least think about it, a legit truck camper for the R1T would be ideal but I don't see that happening with 1400lbs of payload.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah, I agree with your gripes. I currently have a camper van that my future R1T cannot replace.

I personally don't like a trailer because my use case is mostly ski bumming and most resorts will not allow a trailer. Also a soft sided tent is not ideal for winter conditions. If I could fit a Redtail on my R1T I would at least think about it, a legit truck camper for the R1T would be ideal but I don't see that happening with 1400lbs of payload.
This is why we're in the GFC thread ? The GFC is under 300 lbs and I'm hoping I can heat it tolerably with an electric space heater in the bed. Obviously won't work for extended unpowered stays, but should be fine for a couple nights.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
This is why we're in the GFC thread ? The GFC is under 300 lbs and I'm hoping I can heat it tolerably with an electric space heater in the bed. Obviously won't work for extended unpowered stays, but should be fine for a couple nights.
@kylealden check out this video. I guy I follow thats dropping a K24 Honda motor into a 308 Ferrari had an impromptu meet with the GFC team. In the back ground of a couple shots theres an LG R1T in the parking lot. Looks like they’ve got access to one now — hopefully they’re getting underway with a model that will fit!

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Electric blanket maybe, check out
Sponsored