First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
@kylealden check out this video. I guy I follow thats dropping a K24 Honda motor into a 308 Ferrari had an impromptu meet with the GFC team. In the back ground of a couple shots theres an LG R1T in the parking lot. Looks like they’ve got access to one now — hopefully they’re getting underway with a model that will fit!
Nice! I saw they posted a vid on their Insta stories with an R1T interior visible so clearly they got their hands on one. Staying tuned ?
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Nice! I saw they posted a vid on their Insta stories with an R1T interior visible so clearly they got their hands on one. Staying tuned ?
Nice!

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Been recently pricing out Rooftop tents for my present vehicle (Subaru) and came to realize that Rivian/Yakima factory option is crazy good low price for such a large and capable setup.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Been recently pricing out Rooftop tents for my present vehicle (Subaru) and came to realize that Rivian/Yakima factory option is crazy good low price for such a large and capable setup.
I have the Frontrunner tent and have been super happy with it and the price point. It is 5 inches narrower than the Yakima/Rivian set up, but that is not much. Im sure there are negatives, but Ive not been able to find any so far. Ive had it for about 3+ years and it lived on top my GX470 for 2 of those years in the elements (used probably 20+ times in that span). It’s still in like new condition.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-roof-top-tent.html
Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers E966DFE1-1547-4A44-89D2-57BE9B409A0B

Last edited:

blackda3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser)
Occupation
Paralegal
Hi Everyone - first post. My wife and I were at the Rivian Hub in Venice on Sunday and have placed our order. Regrettably, after the price increase but we are still excited at the prospect of owning an R1T.

As part of my long term goals/use case, I’m very interested in getting a canopy or pop-up top like Go Fast, Alu-Cab or Super Pacific. Since safety and range are directly correlated with payload and GVWR, I’ve been researching the various possibilities.

Today, I came across a very interesting product and I would like to know what all of you think? Please see https://getflated.com/.

The Air-Topper and Air-Bed appear to use the same technology used for inflatable kayaks and rafts. I’ve asked the company whether they might be interested in some sort of custom project i.e. a sleep on top canopy. I’m not sure it’s the best looking approach but it’s very lightweight, can be installed/removed by one person, and easily stored when not in use.

Thanks

David Blackwell

Sponsored

Aleja_333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
I had a GoFast on my Tacoma. Lasted less than 6 months, not impressed. In my opinion it's a low quality camper. Yes, it sort of covers the bed and gives you a place to sleep but the overall design, materials chosen, tent fabric and lots of other little things made me look else where.

It all depends on what you're looking for. $6500 for the GoFast might seem steep but the better quality campers are significantly more expensive for a reason. $10K plus is just the starting point but well worth it in my opinion. Especially when you're sleeping on 50+ mph winds and you can't sleep because it feels like your tent might blow away. That's a true story on the GoFast.

I got rid of the GoFast and ended up with an Alucab Canopy Camper and I LOVE this thing. Having this setup is the reason why my Tacoma will never leave my hands, even when my R1T gets delivered. I have everything I need in this camper; heater, cooking at my finger tips, storage, 14 gallons of water, lighting, solar, you name it.

Maybe Alucab will want to dive into designing one that fits the Rivian but that won't happen for some time. Here are some pics for inspiration.

Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.15.28 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.15.50 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.15.08 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.28.01 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.16.57 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.28.57 PM

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I had a GoFast on my Tacoma. Lasted less than 6 months, not impressed. In my opinion it's a low quality camper. Yes, it sort of covers the bed and gives you a place to sleep but the overall design, materials chosen, tent fabric and lots of other little things made me look else where.
Absolutely love the AluCabs and the customization options and aftermarket are unparalleled. My only hesitation is I don't want to take the tailgate off the Rivian and the AluCab feels much more "permanent" - for me I'd love a part-time topper that I could easily hoist up in the garage when I'm not using it.

However I spoke with GFC yesterday and they are saying the R1T fitment is not happening any time soon and asked to refund my deposit - sounds like it's more trouble than they expected and they still hope to do it, but the timeline is "indefinite." So in the near term I'm grabbing a Roofnest Condor Overland which checks most of my boxes and is much cheaper and more modular. Will reevaluate other options (camper or trailer) down the road.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Absolutely love the AluCabs and the customization options and aftermarket are unparalleled. My only hesitation is I don't want to take the tailgate off the Rivian and the AluCab feels much more "permanent" - for me I'd love a part-time topper that I could easily hoist up in the garage when I'm not using it.

However I spoke with GFC yesterday and they are saying the R1T fitment is not happening any time soon and asked to refund my deposit - sounds like it's more trouble than they expected and they still hope to do it, but the timeline is "indefinite." So in the near term I'm grabbing a Roofnest Condor Overland which checks most of my boxes and is much cheaper and more modular. Will reevaluate other options (camper or trailer) down the road.
Would it work for an AluCab design that required the tailgate to just be down while the camper is installed. The weight on the tailgate shouldn't be a problem as they can design the part in the bed to do the load bearing.

Also, FWIW, Rivian likely has something in the works. I spoke to my Guide yesterday, and while he was careful to not share anything he shouldn't, he did say there were multiple items in development, and while any or all of them may never make it to production of course what with other focus and supply chain, etc., but that there was a big internal desire to really market to the outdoor adventure crowd. Something more than a tent seems like a no-brainer to me for them to put effort into.

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I have the Frontrunner tent and have been super happy with it and the price point. It is 5 inches narrower than the Yakima/Rivian set up, but that is not much. Im sure there are negatives, but Ive not been able to find any so far. Ive had it for about 3+ years and it lived on top my GX470 for 2 of those years in the elements (used probably 20+ times in that span). It’s still in like new condition.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-roof-top-tent.html
E966DFE1-1547-4A44-89D2-57BE9B409A0B.jpeg
how did the tent hold up in the winter or winds?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
how did the tent hold up in the winter or winds?
its been solid in some good winds and I’ve been in the rain a few times with it. It did great! After rain though you want it to dry out before leaving it packed away, but hasn’t been a problem for me. But that’s the same for all of em really.

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
I really like the concept behind these:

https://www.redtailoverland.com/

Obviously pricey but comparable to a tear drop. That said wouldn't work on an R1T due to length but maybe on a R1S.
That is the nicest rooftop I have seen yet. Looks like it would be much, much better in stormy weather.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired

It all depends on what you're looking for. $6500 for the GoFast might seem steep but the better quality campers are significantly more expensive for a reason. $10K plus is just the starting point but well worth it in my opinion. Especially when you're sleeping on 50+ mph winds and you can't sleep because it feels like your tent might blow away. That's a true story on the GoFast.

I got rid of the GoFast and ended up with an Alucab Canopy Camper and I LOVE this thing. Having this setup is the reason why my Tacoma will never leave my hands, even when my R1T gets delivered. I have everything I need in this camper; heater, cooking at my finger tips, storage, 14 gallons of water, lighting, solar, you name it.

Maybe Alucab will want to dive into designing one that fits the Rivian but that won't happen for some time. Here are some pics for inspiration.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.15.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.15.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.15.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.28.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.16.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.28.57 PM.png
What is the weight for this setup? Weight is a limiting factor for the R1T...more so apparently with some wheels than others. I started a thread about this, but have not seen stickers from 21" or 20" tires. See my sticker below, about 300lbs less than I thought it would be:
Rivian R1T R1S Go Fast Campers 1651938757124

Aleja_333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
What is the weight for this setup? Weight is a limiting factor for the R1T...more so apparently with some wheels than others. I started a thread about this, but have not seen stickers from 21" or 20" tires. See my sticker below, about 300lbs less than I thought it would be:
1651938757124.png
The Alucab weighs 480 lbs without any accessories. Also the tailget gets removed, in my case the tailgate is about 45 lbs. So you're about 435 lbs dry. With all the accessories, my camper setup is about 700 lbs.

Aleja_333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
It will be a while before any company starts developing an actual camper for the R1T, including Rivian themselves. Most (if not all) camper companies are struggling with supply changes, meeting demand on current production, pricing increases, etc. etc. It will take years (2-3 years at the very least) for a company to come up with a camper solution. That's optimistic.

For now, roof top tents is all we can expect to see for the forseeable future.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T