Sponsored

Give up your 3rd row for MAX battery (extra 100miles)?

Trade your 3rd row for MaxPack - 100miles more range

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I was reading through a bunch of stuff and my brain flashed back to the fact that my order was for a 5 seater. Yes, I know Rivian has switched to all 7 seat now, but if you could, would you take the 5 seat option and replace the 3rd row with battery packs or are you a 7 seater fan?

I realize it would be a body design change to allow the batteries to be outside of the cabin, but they have modules and I think they could easily create a spot to add the additional modules in a stacked configuration where the 3rd row sits now - and still keep the cargo area flat. I know the modules weigh more than the seats (but not more than the seats and 2 passengers).
Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Already hitting "low battery" warnings with my endless work driving (800 miles week 1).

Rivian R1T R1S Give up your 3rd row for MAX battery (extra 100miles)? 0602221034_HDR

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Personally I would prefer the larger battery + 5 seats.

Right now with a 2 year old in a baby seat, it would be nice to have 7 seats (I can put him in the back and have room for more people). But I forget sometimes that children grow up quick. In just a little while, it'll be a booster, then none at all.

5 seats is better in the long run for me.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar

Right now with a 2 year old in a baby seat, it would be nice to have 7 seats (I can put him in the back and have room for more people). But I forget sometimes that children grow up quick. In just a little while, it'll be a booster, then none at all.

As of 2021, according to the U.S. Census Bureau the average family consisted of 3.13 persons in 2021, down from 3.7 in the 1960s.

You need 7 seats?

"Yeah"

Why?

"Just in case I need drive my kids friends around!"

Your kid has 4 friends?

"No... Well maybe I'll want to pick up 3 hitchhikers or something? I want 7 seats!"

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The 5-seater with 400+ miles range was what originally sold me on the R1S. I can make the current offering work (and will due to the complete lack of suitable EV alternatives that meet my needs) but it's not the config I want.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Voted for max pack even though I have a standard pack R1S on order. If it wasn't LFP I wouldn't go with it over the large, and if the max pack was an option, I'd get that instead of either.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

As of 2021, according to the U.S. Census Bureau the average family consisted of 3.13 persons in 2021, down from 3.7 in the 1960s.

You need 7 seats?

"Yeah"

Why?

Your kid has 4 friends?

"No... Well maybe I'll want to pick up 3 hitchhikers or something? I want 7 seats!"
I've got 5 kids so I'm not in the norm, but aren't there plenty of 5 seater options out there for those that only need 5 seats?

Seems that the R1S is the largest ESUV option available and 7 seats makes sense at that size.

The average family size in the rural areas is more than 3.13 persons which unfortunately is the area you need the most mileage. Need the space, but also need the range so a compromise has to be made and unfortunately leaving a kid doesn't work 😂

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Ah yes, but then you need to add in 2-3 extra seats as you need to shuttle friends to and from various activities (practices, school, play dates, etc).

I didn't want 7 seats because I needed them from my kids, but because I needed them for my kids and their friends.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Ah yes, but then you need to add in 2-3 extra seats as you need to shuttle friends to and from various activities (practices, school, play dates, etc).

I didn't want 7 seats because I needed them from my kids, but because I needed them for my kids and their friends.
I totally forgot he will have friends haha. I guess they'll all want to ride in his friend's dad's cool cars! :p

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

You need 7 seats?

"Yeah"

Why?

Your kid has 4 friends?

Not sure the average family size has much to do with the decision to create a 7 passenger SUV - there are still 10's of millions of families out there with 2-3 kids. And, if you've ever had 2-3 kids you know that separating them on family trips is a really nice thing - 2 in the middle seat with a space between them and one in the back by themselves. And, the car pool scenario with 2-3 friends is 100% real.

The bottom line is there is more than enough of a market for 7 passenger vehicles.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I totally forgot he will have friends haha. I guess they'll all want to ride in his friend's dad's cool cars! :p
Maybe you'll get lucky and he won't have any friends :)

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Already hitting "low battery" warnings with my endless work driving (800 miles week 1).

0602221034_HDR.jpg
Are you happy you changed to get the truck sooner, or wish you held out for the Max?

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter

You need 7 seats?

"Yeah"

Why?

Your kid has 4 friends?

I got 1 child, another on the way, working towards 4 kids total...at least. 7 seater is perfect/needed for me.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
You always want the extra battery. If you drive BEV you know this. If you haven't driven BEV you may not know this but the answer is still the same. You want the range.

Last time I had more than 4 people in a vehicle - mabe 20 yrs ago. Of course if you have 4 kids it's a different story.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Got no use for 7 seats and originally had a 5-seater ordered ☹ For my purposes, the extra headroom in the back, provided by the 5-seater, was critical. So, max pack or large pack, I still want only 5 seats.
Sponsored