Getting a new high voltage battery replacement

Move

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well, just got the call from the SC that they have to replace the battery pack. I’ve already had 12V replaced. After the 12V replacement I had another turtle mode incident. It cleared the next day after a deep sleep but I was asked to bring it in. After having it all week they let me know it will be another few days while they replace the whole pack. Personally, I’m a bit frustrated with only 7.5k miles and 6 months of ownership, but Rivian has been nothing but polite and apologetic about the whole thing. They even made sure to have loaner for me. Curious what others, who have had this work done, experience has been after the fact? Less rattles 🙏 would be great.

Side note: the loaner has the Meridian sound system and it definitely hits better. I’m super jealous of everyone who got that system early. I blame my wife for telling me I couldn’t reserve one before they started delivering.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

I just had my HV battery replaced at 12000 miles and almost 1 year after delivery. I’ve only had it back for about a week now so I can’t comment on any additional problems, but it seems fine to me so far.

The Denver SC said it hasn’t happened much, but it does happen. They were also great about it and gave me a loaner while they had it. They completed the work from diagnosis to completion in 6 days, so I can’t complain.

I never had any 12v issues FWIW. This was the only issue I’ve ever had with it, period.

I hope they get you back on the road soon!

DocNartman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Same boat - starting getting intermittent battery fault errors, which self resolved after coming back to the vehicle. Had a SC appointment already for something unrelated and brought up the issue. Engineers diagnosed my R1T needs a new pack. Estimated to complete in about 1-2 weeks since they only have two guys at the SC certified to swap batteries. Diagnosis is the HV battery "contactors" are closed when they should. What was interesting, and perhaps related for some reason, a few weeks earlier, my vehicle wouldn't automatically raise to standard position. Ended up having to drive home (few hours for this trip) in "low" mode. Mentioned that to them for this appointment too, and they also found some errors that didn't make sense and believe its attributed to the battery issue. They didn't have loaners for me when I dropped it off, but they prioritized me to get one just a few days later. Now rocking a Launch edition with a broken tonneau cover lol. Overall, customer service has been consistently good compared to Tesla (former Model X owner here). Today was really the first hiccup since their software system for doing loaners was acting up, but they got it sorted out. My R1T is less than a year old with 12000+ miles. Hoping this battery swap is it. See a handful of these stories on the web. Understandably, there's a lot of Rivians out there now so I assume this isn't a common issue...

DocNartman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Update - got my R1T back after about 10 days (probably faster if not for the holiday weekend). HV battery replaced. Interestingly, they also had to replace my front dampers modules. I'm still scratching my head why this would have caused the one incident that the vehicle couldn't raise automatically from "low" to "standard" when I powered it up. Again, after a night charging, this resolved itself. I'll probably call them later to see what the deal was -- more so out of curiosity. Pretty smooth experience and just nice to actually be able to talk to a human compared to Tesla...lol. Curious often these HV replacements are happening. In all fairness, the Rivian battery warranty is quite generous, but it is a PITA if a replacement is required.

Riv E In

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S DM
Clubs

Well, just got the call from the SC that they have to replace the battery pack. I’ve already had 12V replaced. After the 12V replacement I had another turtle mode incident. It cleared the next day after a deep sleep but I was asked to bring it in. After having it all week they let me know it will be another few days while they replace the whole pack. Personally, I’m a bit frustrated with only 7.5k miles and 6 months of ownership, but Rivian has been nothing but polite and apologetic about the whole thing. They even made sure to have loaner for me. Curious what others, who have had this work done, experience has been after the fact? Less rattles 🙏 would be great.

Side note: the loaner has the Meridian sound system and it definitely hits better. I’m super jealous of everyone who got that system early. I blame my wife for telling me I couldn’t reserve one before they started delivering.
Happened to me after just one week. Documented here. Zero issues since.

OP
OP
Move

Move

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Got mine back yesterday and would have been sooner if not for me being out of town. Everything seems solid. Only issue I’ve noticed is my mileage seems to be tied to quad motor and not dual motor so I’ll put in a ticket to have them adjust range
Sponsored