Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The Volvo Embla, the successor to the current XC90, is my back-up plan if, for some reason, my R1S doesn’t get delivered in 2023. My wife and I both currently drive Volvos. My 2013 XC70 has almost 150,000 miles on it and has been completely reliable. My wife drives a white over Amazon Blue XC40 and it has been trouble free too, although the navigation system is not world class. People comment on the paint color all the time.
Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

It's a race for me now. Our XC90 has been the best car we've ever owned...and we've owned different cars (Benz, BMW etc). If there's a fully electric XC90 at some point in the next year or two it might make me cancel my R1S pre-order. Even though it's not confirmed, Volvo will be able to scale pretty fast. As it stands right now, I'm hoping Rivian can pull through and scale production and get their Canadian operations figured out....but tbh, the realist in me says there are too many obstacles and if an BEV XC90 rolls around, I'll definitely pre-order at a bare minimum and see which one gets in my hands first.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
My wife and I currently own an XC40 and will be replacing it with an R1T. Do any of you guys that own a Volvo have issues with the entertainment screen taking forever to load? Sometimes it will be nearly 3-5 minutes before I can adjust the radio, AC, etc after starting the car. It will also randomly reboot while driving.
YES. We have a 2017 XC90 and the UI is often very very (very) slow to load things.

As an engine (torque) and suspension elitist there are aspects of the xc90 I don’t love…but my wife likes it a lot other than the entertainment/ui lag you describe. (But she still prefers the Model S…and refuses to drive the R1T until I scratch it or curb a wheel first.)

Outside of that I have to admit the XC90 a been very good vehicle…and I don’t question the safety, that’s for sure.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I can't comment directly on the BEV XC90 directly (obviously), but my wife has a 2022 XC40 Recharge. We took delivery in December 2021 and immediately roadtripped it from Denver to San Diego. It drove like a champ. The Android Automotive interface is stellar (and has gotten even better as the OTAs have rolled out). It's good enough that though my wife wanted CarPlay, when it became available she stuck with Android Automotive. The range has progressively gotten better (factory was 210mi, now 224 after OTAs). With that in mind, the XC40 Recharge is an ICE platform converted to a BEV so I have no reason to doubt Volvo will knock it out of the park on a bespoke platform.
Sponsored