Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Yeah..but how “near” is actually near. I’ll be stoked but won’t be surprised if it’ll be a lot closer to R2 production.
Considering the source and the R2 scheduled for 2026, my guess is this year.

That said, I'm not a Rivian source, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last weekend.
Sponsored

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
Please

Please Rivian let me tether my own phone service to the vehicle.
RIGHT!

I Wonder if we could do it similar to the apple watch method, where it's an $5-10 add on to your cellular plan

you provide your IMEI number from the truck and then it's added to your cellular plan.

perhaps they don't do it because it uses way more data vs a smart watch.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

RIGHT!

I Wonder if we could do it similar to the apple watch method, where it's an $5-10 add on to your cellular plan

you provide your IMEI number from the truck and then it's added to your cellular plan.

perhaps they don't do it because it uses way more data vs a smart watch.
I would be okay with adding it to my phone plan like tethering is now. Then, you get a set amount of high speed data each month, and it reduces to dial-up speed after that.

Oh the hilarious scenarios while waiting for the data to download and pixelated screens 🤣.

Sponsored

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

None of these screens with slight modifications should take more than a two weeks to a month to implement end to end, unless the code is spaghetti.
So what's your speculative guess when we'll see them on the R1s?

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
None of these screens with slight modifications should take more than a two weeks to a month to implement end to end, unless the code is spaghetti.
I would hope in the automotive sector the QA/QC process and regression testing is taken more seriously and rigorous.

You wouldn't want inadvertent issues/bugs causing problems.

Crashing,frozen screen, slowness, introducing new issues that weren't present before, beta testing, user feedback.

Just cuz it compiles doesn't mean it's ready for mass market. when the screen software is your singular method of interfacing with your vehicle.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I would hope in the automotive sector the QA/QC process and regression testing is taken more seriously and rigorous.

You wouldn't want inadvertent issues/bugs causing problems.

Crashing,frozen screen, slowness, introducing new issues that weren't present before, beta testing, user feedback.

Just cuz it compiles doesn't mean it's ready for mass market. when the screen software is your singular method of interfacing with your vehicle.
I included testing and perf testing in those estimates. They should already have automation for both of those and is continuously testing it.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So what's your speculative guess when we'll see them on the R1s?
It could be next release if they were focused on it. However, I don’t know what their priorities are and from an owner perspective, they have a huge backlog with a small software team dedicated to vehicle improvements.

the fact that huge QOL improvements like extra Spotify identities or more settings tied to driver profiles (a/c, vents) hasn’t come yet shows a lot about where they’re putting their software devs and where the money goes.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
It could be next release if they were focused on it. However, I don’t know what their priorities are and from an owner perspective, they have a huge backlog with a small software team dedicated to vehicle improvements.

the fact that huge QOL improvements like extra Spotify identities or more settings tied to driver profiles (a/c, vents) hasn’t come yet shows a lot about where they’re putting their software devs and where the money goes.
The backlog is much less now- seems to be infotainment updates, side mirror view in driver screen, continued nav and driver plus improvements and bug fixes. I would expect them to ramp down to quarterly updates by end of year. By then they will have done over 35 updates and the list of items remaining will be piddly.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I expect to get an update on April 1st.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The backlog is much less now- seems to be infotainment updates, side mirror view in driver screen, continued nav and driver plus improvements and bug fixes. I would expect them to ramp down to quarterly updates by end of year. By then they will have done over 35 updates and the list of items remaining will be piddly.
That list seems like its only QOL improvements. I don't think driver plus would be the same software team.

What about new integrations with other providers? Apple Music, Prime music, video streaming services, etc, etc. Or maybe release a watch app.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
While I agree with your tank turn comment.. RJ mentioned to MKBHD that the UI will be coming to R1 also. He didn't say how much of it would translate to the R1 or when. So we will just have to wait and see.
I'd love to see some or all of this in R1.

It's just that this is going the same direction as "RJ/My Guide/My SC Tech/ My girlfriend's cat sitter's poop scooper said CarPlay is coming next month", or how the retooling RJ announced is now a refresh including NACS connector, XYZZY cell battery packs at 800 volts, Quad 1000 hp Enduro motors, almost infinite towing capacity and optional nuclear fueled ion propulsion power boost mode. When the next OTA comes out, we will be hearing complaints that the R2 displays (RJ promised!!!) are missing from the R1 OTA.

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
I included testing and perf testing in those estimates. They should already have automation for both of those and is continuously testing it.
You have more faith than I do,
As someone who works in automation with Software/hardware/PLC integration development. Even with automated testing tools, it still takes a lot longer than your estimates.

But I dont work in the Automotive industry so it may be different there.

But considering the Rivian website can't even tell you what vehicles are available in each SC (something even Polestar does). Perhaps things move a lot slower at Rivian.
Sponsored