Sponsored

Full size spare external placement

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Does Audi include a bag or something for the full-size flat tire and wheel after it has been removed from your Q5? I’m not too keen on the Rivian compact spare because it may not be up to the task of getting me back out of wherever we are when off-roading.

Then your comment made me think, “So what do you do with your flat if it doesn’t fit in the space the compact spare occupied?”

I’m guessing I’ll have to put the full-size flat inside the SUV, but it is going to be filthy and/or wet. I’m hoping Rivian includes a full-size tire bag to minimize the mess if we get the compact spare as an option. If not I’ll be looking for something which keeps the mess in while allowing a person to pick it up and throw it in the back… assuming I have space for it. If I have to go that route I may forego the compact spare entirely if I can purchase a jacking puck to use with our existing bottle jack since there isn’t much else I’d need. I’ll just keep a full-size spare in a bag in the cargo area. I wish the frunk could hold a full-size spare.

This is giving me a newfound appreciation of our LR3’s under-vehicle full-size spare which I’ve had to use on a couple occasions now.
I am pretty sure my Q5 did not come with a bag for the flat full-size tire. If it did, I have no idea where the bag is. I think you can buy one though. I wouldn’t obviously think buying a branded one makes sense though. I’ll bet you can get something cheaper elsewhere.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I am pretty sure my Q5 did not come with a bag for the flat full-size tire. If it did, I have no idea where the bag is. I think you can buy one though. I wouldn’t obviously think buying a branded one makes sense though. I’ll bet you can get something cheaper elsewhere.
I looked on Amazon and I couldn’t find something which would fit the Rivian 20” AT tires with a 34” diameter. I tried looking on a site which deals specifically with 4 Wheel Parts and they had spare tire covers large enough which protect a rear spare tire but that doesn’t seem like a great solution because I don’t know how you’d carry the tire once in there. I’ll keep looking but if anyone finds something I’d love to read about it.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Sad day talking to a Rivian CS agent today. Not only is the option to buy a 2nd set of tires from them (for those that want a set of 21s and 20s) not available at the time of pre-order purchase, but it's not an option to buy later on from them either. And regarding the R1S, the option to buy a full sized spare tire, even after pre-order purchase is not available as well.

I highly suggested to them to seriously consider both features above, especially concerning the R1S for those that plan to go off-roading. Here's hoping they heed the advice.

... because I don’t know how you’d carry the tire once in there. I’ll keep looking but if anyone finds something I’d love to read about it.
The Cargo Crossmounts on top of the R1S should suffice. It's where they mounted the full spare on the YT vid of the R1S climbing that steep hill (mind you, one would have to mount the bars closer to each other if you don't want to get that rack bed used in the following vid).

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does Audi include a bag or something for the full-size flat tire and wheel after it has been removed from your Q5? I’m not too keen on the Rivian compact spare because it may not be up to the task of getting me back out of wherever we are when off-roading.

Then your comment made me think, “So what do you do with your flat if it doesn’t fit in the space the compact spare occupied?”
Volvo includes a plastic bag with their vehicles. I think there's gloves, too. I assume other manufacturers do similar.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked on Amazon and I couldn’t find something which would fit the Rivian 20” AT tires with a 34” diameter. I tried looking on a site which deals specifically with 4 Wheel Parts and they had spare tire covers large enough which protect a rear spare tire but that doesn’t seem like a great solution because I don’t know how you’d carry the tire once in there. I’ll keep looking but if anyone finds something I’d love to read about it.
I always have a nylon tarp in the back of my Q5. I would just put it down, put tire on it, wrap the tarp over the top of the tire, and tuck it under on the 3 open sides of the tarp. Getting the tire into the back will still mean I'm handling a dirty tire, but that's going to happen when changing the thing anyway. Maybe a cheap jumpsuit is a good thing to have as well?

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Sad day talking to a Rivian CS agent today. Not only is the option to buy a 2nd set of tires from them (for those that want a set of 21s and 20s) not available at the time of pre-order purchase, but it's not an option to buy later on from them either. And regarding the R1S, the option to buy a full sized spare tire, even after pre-order purchase is not available as well.
Rivian R1T R1S Full size spare external placement 1631903074126

CS reliability on anything not published on the website is shaky.

When @DuckTruck was riding with RJ and mentioned he was looking at getting 2 sets (22 & 20), RJ told him to try the 20s and thought he would not need the 2nd. No indication of them not being available.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I'm used to a full-size spare on the rear of my FJ and am not willing to do any off-roading without a real spare. At the same time, I'm not a fan of roof-mounted spares for both clearance issues on trails and because I don't want to have to lift a 75-100lb wheel/tire combo up there.

I might be okay with a hitch-mounted option, but I'd prefer a door-mount first, and a swing out as an alternative. Light weight would be key here for me though, so maybe fabricate something from aluminum? It's not like I'll need to hang gas cans from it, haha. I'll probably just design/build something myself as I don't expect the aftermarket to do much in this case.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer

I highly suggested to them to seriously consider both features above, especially concerning the R1S for those that plan to go off-roading. Here's hoping they heed the advice.

The Cargo Crossmounts on top of the R1S should suffice. It's where they mounted the full spare on the YT vid of the R1S climbing that steep hill (mind you, one would have to mount the bars closer to each other if you don't want to get that rack bed used in the following vid).
Yeah, I'd really be bummed if I can't get a 5th wheel to use as a spare. I should ping CS too, just so they know people are asking for it.

Also, that rack comes in a bunch of different sizes. In any case, you'd eat up a lot of your rooftop space with that big wheel if you went with something much smaller.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Also, if it's relevant to those here wondering about roof mount spare options; I confirmed with CS that 250lbs is the MAX load for the ENTIRE ROOF. Meaning regardless of configuration or if you use all 3 crossbar mounts, you shouldn't be putting more than 250lbs of anything up there. Just that tire will make a big dent in that. Honestly, I'd have imagined a bit more than that.

And before anyone gets worried, the CS rep told me that the 250lb limit was during driving. While stationary, they're rated for 790lbs.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
A rack, spare tire or a bunch of other gear on the roof is going to really cut into range. I'm a fan of the receiver mounted spare tire carrier that can be taken off. Also the frunk should be a great location for recovery gear.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, if it's relevant to those here wondering about roof mount spare options; I confirmed with CS that 250lbs is the MAX load for the ENTIRE ROOF. Meaning regardless of configuration or if you use all 3 crossbar mounts, you shouldn't be putting more than 250lbs of anything up there. Just that tire will make a big dent in that. Honestly, I'd have imagined a bit more than that.

And before anyone gets worried, the CS rep told me that the 250lb limit was during driving. While stationary, they're rated for 790lbs.
I’m really glad you added that last clarification on static vs dynamic laid ratings! I was going to point out that 250lbs would mean I shouldn’t get in a rooftop tent possibly by myself with any clothes! Let alone with another person!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I wonder how long it'll take until I see the R1T on this channel ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You can't just buy a plastic tire bag a tire dealer puts on your spare set when They change them for you?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

You can't just buy a plastic tire bag a tire dealer puts on your spare set when They change them for you?
I’ve never had a spare set of tires so I’ve never seen these before yesterday. I tripped across them while searching online but they were sold in giant rolls or packs. As long as they are big enough to hold the AT tires and I can buy 1 (not 100) I‘d gladly buy 1. I’m assuming they take virtually no storage space so that’s a major plus.

It looks like they cost about $0.50 each in bulk so if Rivian wants to source them, include 1 with the compact spare, and increase the cost of the compact spare by $5.00 I’d be fine with that. I’m not looking for a free solution, but I wish they didn’t create this problem for me to solve. Maybe they include 1 but don’t mention it in the description. Maybe they will start including them after a reviewer gets a flat during testing and writes about the experience.

The real issue is the lack of a full-size spare for the R1S because you’d simply swap when needed, like on the R1T. This compact spare is my biggest issue with a vehicle designed for off-roading and way more important to me than paint colors, SiriusXM, amber rear turn signals, Android Auto/CarPlay, V2H, in-vehicle games, Driver+ capabilities, and all of the other hot topics on here. I’ve seen several off-road clubs which will not allow you to participate in driving events without a full-size spare.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve never had a spare set of tires so I’ve never seen these before yesterday. I tripped across them while searching online but they were sold in giant rolls or packs.
I would just go to a local tire shop and ask them for a couple.

And yes, I'm with you about Rivian on this.
Sponsored