Sponsored

Full size spare external placement

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I’ve never had a spare set of tires so I’ve never seen these before yesterday. I tripped across them while searching online but they were sold in giant rolls or packs. As long as they are big enough to hold the AT tires and I can buy 1 (not 100) I‘d gladly buy 1. I’m assuming they take virtually no storage space so that’s a major plus.

It looks like they cost about $0.50 each in bulk so if Rivian wants to source them, include 1 with the compact spare, and increase the cost of the compact spare by $5.00 I’d be fine with that. I’m not looking for a free solution, but I wish they didn’t create this problem for me to solve. Maybe they include 1 but don’t mention it in the description. Maybe they will start including them after a reviewer gets a flat during testing and writes about the experience.

The real issue is the lack of a full-size spare for the R1S because you’d simply swap when needed, like on the R1T. This compact spare is my biggest issue with a vehicle designed for off-roading and way more important to me than paint colors, SiriusXM, amber rear turn signals, Android Auto/CarPlay, V2H, in-vehicle games, Driver+ capabilities, and all of the other hot topics on here. I’ve seen several off-road clubs which will not allow you to participate in driving events without a full-size spare.
It's not just about the compact spare to me. If I'm off on a trail and get a flat, I've gotta take all the camping crap out of the back of the truck, stick it on the side of the likely muddy trail while I get out the mini-spare, change a tire and have to reload all the now-dirty crap into the back of the truck. A few tarps will be a must at a minimum.

We've all seen those people on the side of the highway that seem to have every possession they own stacked next to the car in the breakdown lane while trying to access the spare in the trunk.
Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs