First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
Oddly enough, this is a topic I can relate to.

I bought my 2002 Tacoma about seven years ago. There was no license plate holder on the front. Someone had simply drilled two holes in the lower plastic bumper, which I really didn't like.

For some reason I didn't get screws or bolts to attach the plate, so I drove off with no front license. Something, something, procrastinate, something, something. It never got put on.

A few years later, I was up at Mount Robson Provincial Park (in the Rockies, eastern central BC). Due to the heavy demands on this park, you have to book in ahead. I arrived the day before my booking and camped overnight at the provincial campsite across the road.

When the lady came around to fill out the form and take my campsite payment, she started to put down on the form that I was from Alberta. When I asked her why she thought that, she said you don't have a front license plate. In Alberta, it's not required like it is in BC.

Well, it didn't take long for my rebel without a cause, contrarian heart to kick into high gear. I immediately wondered how long I could get away with this.

Um, pretty long, actually!

No police officer, or anyone else other than that lady in the provincial campground, has ever stopped me or commented on my lack of a plate.

This has now gone on for so long, the cost of the fine (if there ever is one) will be tiny when factored over the years that I have done this.

It's now a thing. You can stand me before the gates of government, but I won't back down! At least until they issue a ticket, then I'll back down.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
My older BMW 328 had a snap-in piece of plastic in the center of the front bumper. The factory version had a spot for the tag, and you could buy a nicer looking version for the tagless. When I got my i3 (a lease) they had already drilled holes and put a horrid dealer tag on the front - that sort of activity is what ought to be illegal.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I moved from NC where front plates were not required to UT where they were, but didn’t have the mounting bracket to put it on my Tesla. I also bought a 4Runner and replaced the factory front end with a winch bumper that also doesn’t have a good place to mount a plate. So I’ve run both without a front plate for over 3 years with no issues. Knock on wood...

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I have searched the threads and haven't seen this brought up so I wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on this.

I live in a state that requires you to mount front plates on your vehicle (TX). I don't see a license plate mount in any of the pics and I haven't seen it brought up in other discussions.
I'm not about to go drilling holes in my new $75k truck. I also don't really want to have the plate sitting in my front dash, as I've seen on some vehicles.

I'm thinking that I am likely just going to risk it and only have the rear plate but wanted to see if others in the group have thought about this and what you are planning to do.
Also here in Central TX & will be putting a front plate on mine. I just hope Rivian has a somewhat elegant solution.

Both me & my wife have been pulled over for no front plate on different Jeeps; both have aftermarket bumpers with no built in place to mount a plate. One now uses a holder that clips on to a roller fairlead, and the other a holder that mounts along with a hawse fairlead.

Only received warnings, but it's a frustration to deal with, especially if you need to get somewhere by a certain time...both times made us late picking up kids.

Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
I also don't really want to have the plate sitting in my front dash, as I've seen on some vehicles.
FWIW, that is also illegal. Below is Texas admin code, but Transportation code cites it in the traffic violation.

must display two license plates that are clearly visible, readable, and legible, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in an upright horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I moved from NC where front plates were not required to UT where they were, but didn’t have the mounting bracket to put it on my Tesla. I also bought a 4Runner and replaced the factory front end with a winch bumper that also doesn’t have a good place to mount a plate. So I’ve run both without a front plate for over 3 years with no issues. Knock on wood...
All my life in Utah we never got tickets for a lack of a front plate. As far as I know it’s not a stoppable offense. If they already have you stopped for something else, they will ticket you, but they can’t stop you just for that.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
All my life in Utah we never got tickets for a lack of a front plate. As far as I know it’s not a stoppable offense. If they already have you stopped for something else, they will ticket you, but they can’t stop you just for that.
Yeah, one time in Utah I got pulled over for drinking coffee and then he also wrote me up for the lack of a front license plate. Totally insane!

J/k, I got off with a warning for the plate.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Was pulled over and ticketed twice for no front plate, in two different states. I'll just run the plate if the state requires it.
The less attention you bring to your self the better. Run the plate if required. Somebody will make a good bracket if it doesn’t come with one.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
And yet many do... Currently trying to find a front license plate solution for my wife’s new Audi. I have a friend who zip ties his front plate to the grill of his GTI. Both don’t have spots for front license plates but still sold in CO which requires a front plate. I use a tow hook mount for my front plate on my Tesla, maybe there will be something like that for the Rivian If doesn’t come with a non-drill front plate mount.
Assuming since Audi grills are similar, your wife's is similar to mine... The dealer had a screw on bracket that I ended up using, it required drilling a few holes. If the dealer gave you your car without it mounted, I would recommend playing dumb the first time you / she gets pulled over. That has worked for me in the past, although I did end up putting my front plate on eventually.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Annoyingly, someone stole my front plate and then cops came to my house to ask me if my car was stolen. My stolen license plate was reported as pulled over in a traffic stop almost two hours away. The cops that came to my house ended up writing me a note stating that if I were to be pulled over for not having a front plate, then that letter served as my way out of it until I get a replacement. It must be common enough to need to write that letter, but its also been almost two years since that happened and have never had an issue. However, when I was living in SoCal, my brother got a ticket for not having his front plate, and it was while parked and not even in the vehicle. So I guess it just varies and if you don't have it, you're taking a risk.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
It is required in Illinois and I never had it on my Tesla, never pulled over. But I did keep it in the frunk to claim that I am working on it as I have to order a special part :)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

In the thread entitled "Rivian R1T spotted with extended yellow tow hooks and winch", Jsidell provided two great pics of the front and back tow hooks we may see with the Launch Editions. I commented there, but thought this thread might find more readers thinking about front plates. I couldn't transfer the pics, but in the absence of any info from the company, I'm wondering if one of the front hooks would be a good mounting point for the license plate, in those states that require it. The rear picture is clearer, and it looks like the hooks have flattened surfaces on their face and back. In other words, they don't look to be rounded, tubular-type structures. As such, they look perfect for holding a plate.

With the winch taking center stage on the front bumper, I'd prefer not to drill holes on the large facial expanse of the Rivians. Having it there would either look like a pig's nose ? , a major underbite ? , or an angry beaver ? depending on how low or high you mount it. I know some folks here don't want us to humanize these "things", but with those soulful eyes, you can't unsee the goofy face a centered plate would present.

Maybe low and to one side would give it the appearance of a happy pooch wagging it's tongue like it would when riding down the road with it's head out the window. ?

There you go! No more human reference! Problem solved.... ?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think there will be plate mounting holes in the non-winch bumper. In the winch bumper, you can use the fairlead bolt holes to mount a plate holder; however, it will need to be removable or flip out of the way for winch access.

I have a plate mount on one of my Jeeps that uses the fairlead bolts for mounting. The plate portion removes with hand screws for winch access. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow & post it (if I can remember).
Sponsored