Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Can’t it be both 😁

I spent hours yesterday polishing my truck. I unfortunately couldn’t get out the pinstripes even with a pretty aggressive cutting compound.

1FE83C71-A792-4E07-86BE-71221B8F7908.jpeg
First, you are a badass for thrashing your R1T and taking advantage of what it can do offroad. I'm not sure how many people would be as chill about risking that kind of damage. Second, thank you for posting a picture of your pinstripe badge of honor. When I went to do my First Mile drive there was a Blue R1T at the service center and I really fell in love with the color. I think $2500 is too much for what it is but I had almost convinced myself to switch from white to blue. After seeing this photo though, I just can't. I don't want to baby my R1T and fully expect to get my share of pinstripes but I don't think I could deal with how they show up against the darker color. Hopefully they won't be as obvious on the white paint. Either way, bravo to you.

Sponsored

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

Can’t it be both 😁

I spent hours yesterday polishing my truck. I unfortunately couldn’t get out the pinstripes even with a pretty aggressive cutting compound.

thats why I installed PPF so far no deep scratches and self healing makes it look as good as new.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

thats why I installed PPF so far no deep scratches and self healing makes it look as good as new.
To be fair the PPF definitely helps but this last trip shredded the PPF on my gear tunnel doors, also I was noticing some pinstripes in the PPF even before that.

So will definitely protect the paint but in my case at least it would be expensive to be constantly replacing PPF panels.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

First, you are a badass for thrashing your R1T and taking advantage of what it can do offroad. I'm not sure how many people would be as chill about risking that kind of damage. Second, thank you for posting a picture of your pinstripe badge of honor. When I went to do my First Mile drive there was a Blue R1T at the service center and I really fell in love with the color. I think $2500 is too much for what it is but I had almost convinced myself to switch from white to blue. After seeing this photo though, I just can't. I don't want to baby my R1T and fully expect to get my share of pinstripes but I don't think I could deal with how they show up against the darker color. Hopefully they won't be as obvious on the white paint. Either way, bravo to you.

Yeah I agree white is probably the safest option.

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

To be fair the PPF definitely helps but this last trip shredded the PPF on my gear tunnel doors, also I was noticing some pinstripes in the PPF even before that.

So will definitely protect the paint but in my case at least it would be expensive to be constantly replacing PPF panels.
The wrap I did has the self healing so light pins tripping vanishes deep ones may not. Not sure if the factory ppf is self healing or not. I have been lucky so far all of mine have vanished after a day in the sun.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I have been lucky so far all of mine have vanished after a day in the sun.
This is important, a bit of heat is required for PPF to self heal.

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Add one of these and call it good...

Rivian R1T R1S Fresh battle scar to my R1T from overlanding/off-roading weekend 1661119868677

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We scratched one of our wheels a few weeks ago, that was our first. We thought we heard some impacts this weekend going over some big rocks on engineer pass but couldn’t find any damage afterwards so it’s still looking pretty good. R1T made it easy

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So for those interested I asked Rivian about fixing this damage to the cladding and they said:

"It's likely that issue would need to be addressed by A Rivian Certified Collision Center...."

Not the answer I was expecting after the guy at the Bellevue service center told me it would be less than $500, really seems like the left hand doesn't talk to the right when dealing with Rivian.

Edit: The guys at the service center were more accommodating. Total cost with labor, tax and parts to replace the cladding below the gear tunnel and rear door on the passenger side is $273.

Last edited:

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
Small price to pay for a great adventure. Thanks for taking us along. Can't wait to get out to the desert in mine.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
So for those interested I asked Rivian about fixing this damage to the cladding and they said:

"It's likely that issue would need to be addressed by A Rivian Certified Collision Center...."

Not the answer I was expecting after the guy at the Bellevue service center told me it would be less than $500, really seems like the left hand doesn't talk to the right when dealing with Rivian.

Edit: The guys at the service center were more accommodating. Total cost with labor, tax and parts to replace the cladding below the gear tunnel and rear door on the passenger side is $273.
You got off cheap!

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser

That's good to hear! I expect to be replacing those pieces at some point. Unless we can get a good option for sliders soon.

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
That's good to hear! I expect to be replacing those pieces at some point. Unless we can get a good option for sliders soon.
Did you see the sliders from the off road recovery thread? Will definitely get those when the time comes.

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
Can’t it be both 😁

😖😖😖

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Can’t it be both 😁

You can’t polish that out because polishing is just removing paint so that the scratch becomes flatter and less visible. Your scratch remains visible because there is no paint left to “polish” away. Most shops will just respray the door.
Sponsored