Sponsored

Fox32 Chicago: "Dead Teslas pack Chicago area Supercharger station due to frigid temps"

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Fox32 didn't do the EV industry any favors with this TV new story. But in their defense they did reach out to Tesla and got no response....

Rivian R1T R1S Fox32 Chicago: "Dead Teslas pack Chicago area Supercharger station due to frigid temps" 1705381356327
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The media ran a sensationalist news story? Color me surprised.

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
Supercharger in Kremmling working great this morning at -20 degrees. Preconditioned the battery on the hour drive here and topped out at 149 kw as usual.

Only one station showing as down in the Tesla app. Magic dock did fail to release on first try. I removed the Tesla connector and reinserted - it released fine on second try.

All companies are going to have trouble sometimes, but Tesla is the gold standard in charging for sure. Can’t imagine fighting with an EA or EVGo in this temperature.

Can’t wait to get the NACS adapter!

Rivian R1T R1S Fox32 Chicago: "Dead Teslas pack Chicago area Supercharger station due to frigid temps" IMG_0474

Rivian R1T R1S Fox32 Chicago: "Dead Teslas pack Chicago area Supercharger station due to frigid temps" IMG_0476

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Dumb story. There's absolutely no explanation for why they're having trouble other than someone talking about preconditioning. Please don't support their FUD business model by clicking through to the video.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
No mention of diesel gelling or gas dispensers failing due to cold (or icing due to water intrusion).

Stay warm out there, people.

Sponsored

Mooeymoose

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
MD
Definitely dumb story to blame on EV’s. Charging station was not functioning and that is a problem and the cold makes it worse. Gas cars and diesel vehicles are having problems too. My Rivian has been fine except range has been lower

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Fox32 didn't do the EV industry any favors with this TV new story. But in their defense they did reach out to Tesla and got no response....

1705381356327.png
Obvious a lie. They should have gotten a poop emoji as the response from Tesla.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I do feel the pain of those Tesla owners. This morning I needed to charge at the EA station closest to me and it was 14 below zero when I pulled up. First 2 chargers would start then end my session about 5 seconds later. Third one worked (very slowly) but as the sun came up and it warmed to a balmy -2 degrees, the charging speed increased with it. I was very lucky no one else was crazy enough to be trying to charge at that time.

The cables were so stiff I could barely position them to plug into my truck!🥶 This particular station has been very reliable over the last 6 months so the cold really does affect this process.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Driving from DFW to SATX yesterday on 35 I watched a M3 get offloaded from a flat bed at the Temple Buccees SC. They likely aren't used to the cold weather effects on range here in Tejas.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler