Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

The Ford Lightning also gives drivers plenty of time to knock back Whoppers while charging
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The Ford Lightning also gives drivers plenty of time to knock back Whoppers while charging
I mean...considering how many CCS chargers aren't located near food, I'd have stopped at the Tesla SC with a BK next to it too. :p My wife saw the lot of them wearing the crowns and laughed saying anyone stopping at a BK on a road trip *must* get the crown.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Kyle was on a podcast last week and spoiled the results. The R1T was third and about 35 minutes slower than the winner. Top 2 were within 5 minutes of each other. The Lightning was last place and was ~5 hours behind. I can't remember which was the winner, but with just 5 minutes difference, and Kyle being extremely aggressive with his charging strategy for the Cybertruck -- he stopped 30 times to charge!! -- I think it's fair to call it a virtual tie between the CT and Chevy. Rivian very close behind, and if the drivers had been more aggressive with their charging, they might have been within minutes as well.

Honestly, the race isn't useful to compare the vehicles in my opinion. The CT team was stacked with Kyle, Drew, and Branden (sp?) all of which are have a lot of experience driving teslas and have experience with the CT. Two of them are very competitive and they were pushing things to the point of managing the location of the windshield wiper to prevent drag, minimizing seconds for the charge port to open, turning the HVAC off, and screeching tires leaving parking lots. If you drop those two in either the SIlverado or R1T, the results would shift quite a bit.

Honestly, the difference in competitiveness between the teams was large enough that I found it annoying because I wanted to throttle the teams that seemed too chill.

It's a fun video for fun, but it's just not useful for a comparison between vehicles, other than maybe identifying that the Lightning is lagging behind in road trip time over that much of a distance. Which isn't really a surprise.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Honestly, the race isn't useful to compare the vehicles in my opinion. The CT team was stacked with Kyle, Drew, and Branden (sp?) all of which are have a lot of experience driving teslas and have experience with the CT. Two of them are very competitive and they were pushing things to the point of managing the location of the windshield wiper to prevent drag, minimizing seconds for the charge port to open, turning the HVAC off, and screeching tires leaving parking lots. If you drop those two in either the SIlverado or R1T, the results would shift quite a bit.

Honestly, the difference in competitiveness between the teams was large enough that I found it annoying because I wanted to throttle the teams that seemed too chill.

It's a fun video for fun, but it's just not useful for a comparison between vehicles, other than maybe identifying that the Lightning is lagging behind in road trip time over that much of a distance. Which isn't really a surprise.
Agree. "Virtual tie" is probably fair for the 3 other than the Lightning. The Lightning's charge curve is just too conservative for long road trips. I guess it makes charge management simple (charge to 80% then move on the next station)?

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
GM trucks don't charge very fast on 400V systems, their nominal voltage is low compared to Rivian.
Here is the difference for my Hummer on an EVGO 800V charger, which was initially limiting me to 400A (truck indicates limited by charger) and a Tesla SC at 400V (I was getting 500A initially). Big difference. But the Hummer is still pretty good past 60%, as compared to the Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S Four Electric Pickup Trucks Drove Coast-To-Coast. Here's How They Stack Up 800versus400power

Rivian R1T R1S Four Electric Pickup Trucks Drove Coast-To-Coast. Here's How They Stack Up 800versus400time

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sure, but it does show that the Silverado / Ultium platform is really damn good, when it's working properly. That team wasn't doing much in the way of optimization and they still won, where Kyle had to do all the silliness you mentioned. Similarly, the R1T crew *really* didn't understand the truck and how to optimize things and yet they weren't far behind the CT. Lightning...just needs to charge better. But if you don't care about time as much, the Lightning would be mostly frustration free since you just charge it to 80% every time and move on to the next charger since the curve is so flat.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Here is the difference for my Hummer on an EVGO 800V charger, which was initially limiting me to 400A (truck indicates limited by charger) and a Tesla SC at 400V (I was getting 500A initially). Big difference. But the Hummer is still pretty good past 60%, as compared to the Rivian.

800versus400power.jpg

800versus400time.jpg
Right, but if you have the option of an 800V station or a 400V station, which one are you going to choose? Assuming you have a reasonable idea that both are in good working order.

My observations were that the rate of charge would start to drop off after ~80-90 kWh added to the pack in my Hummer on 800V, wouldn't matter if I started at 3% or 25%. Would actually end up slightly faster to not run the pack as low since voltage would stay higher. I'm also guessing they are still doing that wonky re-balancing stuff because of the pack split, but they've probably improved it since then, since when it happened to me, it'd drop down to 20-30kW and stay there for more than 5 minutes.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Rivian needs a more detailed Gauges view specific for charging like the Car Scanner app. I’m not an engineer, but I want to look like one.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sure, but it does show that the Silverado / Ultium platform is really damn good, when it's working properly. That team wasn't doing much in the way of optimization and they still won, where Kyle had to do all the silliness you mentioned. Similarly, the R1T crew *really* didn't understand the truck and how to optimize things and yet they weren't far behind the CT. Lightning...just needs to charge better. But if you don't care about time as much, the Lightning would be mostly frustration free since you just charge it to 80% every time and move on to the next charger since the curve is so flat.
I totally agree.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The Lightning has an extremely conservative charging curve. It peaks at 155kW-180kW a decent rate, but will only stay there for a maximum of 10 minutes. Outside of those 10 minutes -- which don't happen on every charging session because the "boost" is only available if certain conditions are present -- it charges at like 120kW the whole time up to 80%. There are charging sessions that are 120kW from 10% all the way to 80%.

Edit: It doesn't peak at a decent rate. It peaks at just 155kW on some chargers and only up to 170-180kW on more favorable chargers, and just for 10 minutes at even that.

See some recorded data on this here: https://insideevs.com/news/615115/ford-f150-lightning-charging-analysis/
120kW peak rate is certainly not impressive but holding that rate to 80% SOC is. If the Rivian could hold even 100kW between 70-80% it would kill all of these imposters

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Planetary Science

Agreed.

I have no interest in cannonballing a cross-country road trip, so all they did was convince me that the CT isn't even worthy of considering. If they had to do all of this and they still didn't come in many hours ahead, it's worse than I'd imagined. Based on these results, each of the others, including the Lightning, are better road trip trucks than the CT.

In any of the others, I can take it easy and not worry about the race.

The next question is how comfortable are the trucks to drive or in which to be a passenger. Then it's how much of my camping gear can they haul and for how far. And can I afford one?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Right, but if you have the option of an 800V station or a 400V station, which one are you going to choose? Assuming you have a reasonable idea that both are in good working order.

My observations were that the rate of charge would start to drop off after ~80-90 kWh added to the pack in my Hummer on 800V, wouldn't matter if I started at 3% or 25%. Would actually end up slightly faster to not run the pack as low since voltage would stay higher. I'm also guessing they are still doing that wonky re-balancing stuff because of the pack split, but they've probably improved it since then, since when it happened to me, it'd drop down to 20-30kW and stay there for more than 5 minutes.
I will definitely pick 800V over Tesla, but if chargers are broke or crowded, then I would pick a Tesla charger. I think the pack balancing is happening at 75%, you can see the dip in the 800V curve, and it is not in the 400V curve. When they first came out, there was a dip earlier in the curve, then a second one. The thing is, even at 85%, the charge rate is still at 125kw on either voltage. There is no cliff in the rate, it is linear after that. I know Rivian and Ford step down at 80%.

What I have observed on many EA stations, with the Hummer and the Rivian, is that the charge rate will often take a dive after about 5 minutes. Both trucks now indicate when the charger is limiting, so it is easy to tell it is the charger. I have seen the Rivian charging at 200kw, then suddenly go to 45kw. I recently saw the Hummer go from 300 down to 180 rapidly, as well. EA claims they have fixed some of these issues with software updates, but not really sure it has solved everything.

Where I can see the benefit of Tesla chargers is in a location like Quartzsite AZ. EA has 4 chargers there and always have long lines. There is a RAN site with 6 chargers as well. But Tesla has a site with 84 NACS compatible chargers. With a 400V vehicle I would go straight to Tesla, but with the Hummer I might look at the EA station to see if it is busy. first.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Based on your post, you're also very competitive.
Rivian R1T R1S Four Electric Pickup Trucks Drove Coast-To-Coast. Here's How They Stack Up 1000372662
🤣

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Based on your post, you're also very competitive.
1000372662.gif
🤣
I'd say I tend to modulate to match other people well. :D
Sponsored