Forged vs Cast Wheels? Weight/Strength/Longevity

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I have a hard time trusting a tire engineer who thinks a performance street tire will be better in sand than an all terrain tire.
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I have learned a lot from this forum and appreciate all the input.

I think I will go to basics and simplify as much as I can for mysel on which wheel to pick.
  • I want sports car performance
  • I want off road performance
  • I probably will be driving 80%-90% of the time on-road
I am going with the LE 22” and the R1S.

I will find off-road alternative wheels and tires after.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I want sports car performance
The performance testing video released by Rivian is on 20s. Yes, the one drifting at fairly high speeds on road & off.

Get the 22s if you like the look or if you plan to take it to the track. If not, you'll be fine with 20s.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
The performance testing video released by Rivian is on 20s. Yes, the one drifting at fairly high speeds on road & off.

Get the 22s if you like the look or if you plan to take it to the track. If not, you'll be fine with 20s.
Thank you!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Agreed. However, while the 20s will certainly offer more than enough performance for street use they will not have the same "road feel" as the 22s. You will feel more sway from the sidewall and have slightly less responsive turn in from the 20s while also maintaining a slightly more compliant ride. The 22s will trade a little ride comfort for a more direct steering feel as well as increased ultimate grip. Road feel, steering responsiveness, and ride comfort are things that manifest during normal daily driving and not just on track or spirited drives along the Tail of the Dragon or your local back roads. For those used to a sportier vehicle and with a primary focus on street driving, the 22s could potentially be a better choice - it really comes down to personal preference. Not trying to muddy the waters for those struggling to make a decision but do want to make sure everyone is aware of the tradeoffs involved. And for anyone who isn't sure if steering responsiveness and road feel matter to them... don't worry, it probably doesn't.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I actually think the best choice for me is the 21s. If the free upgrade with the LE was not in play, the other sizes would not be under serious consideration. The additional $1800 or $3500 would more than cover the premium for the Rivian specific 21" Pirelli's for the life of the vehicle.

Unlikely that I will do anything that will really require the ATs and 20s, nor do I need the increased performance (and reduced range) of the 22s. They could also very conceivably be toast in 20K miles. Rivian has actually stated that the 21s will likely be the best choice for most drivers and I think that is likely true in my case. Occasional unpaved roads for camping trips and a climate with little to no snowfall. Extremely spirited driving lost it's luster sometime in the last few decades, and that itch is scratched by my Ducati anyway. Not sure what range penalty the optional sizes will entail, but sticking with the longest range combo is attractive to me.

If I go away from the LE, I'll almost definitely be on the 21s. If I stick with the LE, but they offer the $1,800 as a credit towards other options (roof rails, etc), I'll probably be on the 21s.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Agreed. However, while the 20s will certainly offer more than enough performance for street use they will not have the same "road feel" as the 22s. You will feel more sway from the sidewall and have slightly less responsive turn in from the 20s while also maintaining a slightly more compliant ride. The 22s will trade a little ride comfort for a more direct steering feel as well as increased ultimate grip. Road feel, steering responsiveness, and ride comfort are things that manifest during normal daily driving and not just on track or spirited drives along the Tail of the Dragon or your local back roads. For those used to a sportier vehicle and with a primary focus on street driving, the 22s could potentially be a better choice - it really comes down to personal preference. Not trying to muddy the waters for those struggling to make a decision but do want to make sure everyone is aware of the tradeoffs involved. And for anyone who isn't sure if steering responsiveness and road feel matter to them... don't worry, it probably doesn't.
Well said! Driving Performance X with 22 summer and 20 winter, my one thought is the Rivian is a performance off-road vehicle that should and does have a 21 option splitting the difference. 21’s make sense for all purpose Rivian’s, unless most driving is either paved or dirt and then the 22’s or 20’s are available. We anticipate lots of dirt and pot holes summer and winter for the Rivian and yes some highway driving, so the 20’s should work well for us with two sets of tires, one for snow. Then comes the Cybertruck. I wonder what it’s wheel and tire options will be, especially for the three motor version. These are unprecedented challenges for the industry and we the users — from pot holes and ruts to the race track In one day.....or one minute. ?

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Well said! Driving Performance X with 22 summer and 20 winter, my one thought is the Rivian is a performance off-road vehicle that should and does have a 21 option splitting the difference. 21’s make sense for all purpose Rivian’s, unless most driving is either paved or dirt and then the 22’s or 20’s are available. We anticipate lots of dirt and pot holes summer and winter for the Rivian and yes some highway driving, so the 20’s should work well for us with two sets of tires, one for snow. Then comes the Cybertruck. I wonder what it’s wheel and tire options will be, especially for the three motor version. These are unprecedented challenges for the industry and we the users — from pot holes and ruts to the race track In one day.....or one minute. ?
P. S. I did, with my nephew, have an opportunity to ask RJ directly about the comfort levels of the 22 and 20. His response: “I have driven both and the 22 is a good ride.” He evidently thought this issue one of fine tuning and personal use and preference.

gloriasutter

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Car and Bicycle
Occupation
Business
I had reached out to Rivian as to whether their wheels will be forged or cast. This is the response I got.

Thank you for waiting patiently while I researched your question further. Rivian has not announced details on our suppliers at this time, but all of Rivian's wheels are engineered for performance and adventure. The 20” wheel options on both the R1T and R1S are forged. The 21” and 22” wheel options are tilt cast and flow formed.

I hope that this helped! Please let us know if you have further questions.

Have an adventurous day,
Katy
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST - M-F
Closed - Sa-Su
I had reached out to Rivian as to whether their wheels will be forged or cast. This is the response I got.

Thank you for waiting patiently while I researched your question further. Rivian has not announced details on our suppliers at this time, but all of Rivian's wheels are engineered for performance and adventure. The 20” wheel options on both the R1T and R1S are forged. The 21” and 22” wheel options are tilt cast and flow formed.

I hope that this helped! Please let us know if you have further questions.

Have an adventurous day,
Katy
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST - M-F
Closed - Sa-Su
Hey,
Reliable forging makes stronger structural integrity with fewer components compared to a cast wheel.
Forged wheels have numerous advantages. The manufacturing process results in a stronger wheel by reducing pits, density, and diminution. Due to its finer grain design, forged wheels are also physically stronger, ensuring strong wear resistance over time.
The forging process provides improved efficiency of wheels.
While the casting process is simple and cheap, it results in a weaker material than a forged wheel.
Thanks!
Sponsored