Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I never liked paying full price on anything and usually buy stuff on discounted prices. I wouldn’t pay the new price for one but I would buy another one with the old price.
Sponsored

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
Hell no. We'd already be in a BMW.

BillR

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Nope, but then I’m regretting paying the original price for my R1T. Too many nagging issues coupled with poor service experiences. I had high hopes that Rivian was going to be better. So many areas where they seem to be trying to be different just to be different vs. practicing good design and leveraging the existing body of car building knowledge. Questionable design decisions on the tonneau and the built in phone charger make me nervous about the design/engineering of the things I can’t see.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Hell no. We'd already be in a BMW.
The BMW IX M60 in comparable trim would cost you $40K more than the R1S with pre-March prices and $20K more with today's prices, with less range (288) and less performance (0-60 3.6s).

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
No on the R1S, but would definitely have placed an order for the R2.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I never liked paying full price on anything and usually buy stuff on discounted prices. I wouldn’t pay the new price for one but I would buy another one with the old price.
this is exactly how I am. It’s also why this thread had talked me into purchasing either a used R1S or going dual motor when my time comes.

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
Five hundred miles in and I love my R1S LE. Wish we had not cancelled our 2nd reservation. However the price delta of nearly $30k (21k MSRP + sales tax on 21k + lack of 7.5k fed tax credit) for a new one would give me pause. At the old price, I would buy a 2nd one without hesitation.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yes, and two weeks after taking delivery of my R1S, I reserved another one.
v. interesting. We are thinking or reserving a second one but probably a dual motor max pack. What did you reserve?

Sponsored

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
The BMW IX M60 in comparable trim would cost you $40K more than the R1S with pre-March prices and $20K more with today's prices, with less range (288) and less performance (0-60 3.6s).
and whats your point? I'd still buy the BMW. Strong chance I'll sell the Rivian in the first year. If the wife wants a BMW, which I can guarantee has great service, better reliability and CarPlay. And if I could have taken delivery in '22 I'd have my $7,500 which I'm now out. The Rivian will have to be great for me to keep it. When I got that email my build was ~$18k more, $97k. Pretty close to a BMW.

Last edited:

Dublin ‘Eer

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
CPA
There is no way I would. I have an R1S reservation at the original price + the tax credit, so the net cost with several options will be in the $73-$74K range. Even at that price, I'm still questioning whether I'll actually pull the trigger this fall when the time comes. I probably will and can afford to do so, but it's a want and not a need, so I absolutely wouldn't at the new, higher price.

I haven't read every response in the thread, but it seems a fairly sizable portion of the responses are they would not purchase at the higher price, and this is from primarily the highly enthusiastic early adopters. This really makes me wonder if Rivian will survive in the long term. I'm a somewhat early Tesla owner as well (2016), and I can guarantee you the early Tesla crowd was much more enthusiastic about their vehicles at that time.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
Any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
There is no way I would. I have an R1S reservation at the original price + the tax credit
Why do you think you get the tax credit? That letter they sent is basically been debunked.

Dublin ‘Eer

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
CPA
Why do you think you get the tax credit? That letter they sent is basically been debunked.
I hadn't heard that since my delivery is still 6+ months away. If I can't get the tax credit, then I almost certainly won't make the purchase. I honestly assumed the administration would write the rules so liberally that the tax credit wouldn't be an issue at purchase but did have a concern that an audit several years in the future could be a problem.
Sponsored