Sponsored

Fluid Leaking Under Truck

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
Does your R1T have an excessive amount of fluid dripping from underneath the truck? Whenever I pull out of my garage it leaves a stream of fluid down my driveway. I am assuming it is water as it has been doing it since I got the car three weeks ago. However, it is dropping several ounces at a time. After I park the truck it continues to leak for several hours. I was originally thinking it was condensation from the cooling system, but it is extremely excessive. I opened a service request and have been ignored. The leak is coming from the crack between two panels underneath the truck near the front passenger door.

Rivian R1T R1S Fluid Leaking Under Truck 3336A89D-D854-4054-B88D-7BD5D0D97DF3

Rivian R1T R1S Fluid Leaking Under Truck CCE69CA5-8742-43BF-9F01-B1F241CD3A00

Rivian R1T R1S Fluid Leaking Under Truck 088D4644-FDF8-411D-8738-C99DA9CD51D0
Sponsored

OP
OP

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do we need to be concerned about this causing rust or corrosion over time? Not sure if the panel it’s dripping from is steel or aluminum.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's A/C condensation. Mine does this too, I plan not to worry about it. I can't imagine what service would do about it.

OP
OP

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has anybody ever experienced this in other cars to this degree? I haven’t, including in other electric cars.

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You need to put some paper towel underneath and see what color it is.

I had similar and thought it was condensation but discovered that it wasn’t after doing paper test. If it’s yellow, blue/green, or red hue, you got a problem.

Mine was light blue/green and ended up being hydraulic dampener fluid leak despite having no warning lights.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Has anybody ever experienced this in other cars to this degree? I haven’t, including in other electric cars.
Zooming in on your photos, some of the drops appear to be quite clear, which is likely just condensation from the coolant system as others mentioned. The difference with Rivian vs ICE vehicles is it will continue to run the cooling system while the vehicle is parked/charging if necessary to maintain battery temps. An ICE vehicle will not as there is no need unless it is to cool the occupant.

Other EV vehicles also have substantially smaller batteries, so not as likely to run the cooling system as long to bleed off heat, resulting in less condensation.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Yes, I have this as well. I have not done the paper towel test as suggested above, but I have dipped my fingers to see if its at all oily or has any odor. Based on that very rudimentary test, seems like it's just condensation.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Has anybody ever experienced this in other cars to this degree?
Oh heck yes. As long as it is clear and doesn't feel oily, it's fine.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Every vehicle I've owned has done it. Modern vehicles (automatic climate control) tend to default to A/C on, as it de-humidifies the air, so you're going to pull moisture out of the air... and that condensate has to go somewhere. All vehicles have a tube that dumps it on the ground, underneath.

OP
OP

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Every vehicle I've owned has done it. Modern vehicles (automatic climate control) tend to default to A/C on, as it de-humidifies the air, so you're going to pull moisture out of the air... and that condensate has to go somewhere. All vehicles have a tube that dumps it on the ground, underneath.
Yeah definitely no tube for Rivian. Appears to be a free for all from what I can see getting under the car. It’s dripping down from at least four different locations between the panels.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yeah definitely no tube for Rivian. Appears to be a free for all from what I can see getting under the car. It’s dripping down from at least four different locations between the panels.
I’ll have to check mine after I drive next. I just crawled under it but it’s dry — guess it all evaporated.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Do we need to be concerned about this causing rust or corrosion over time? Not sure if the panel it’s dripping from is steel or aluminum.
It's an off-road vehicle designed to operate in rain and snow, go through streams, etc. so not likely a concern.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

My teslas do the same. Not a defined location like most conventional cars
Sponsored