Sponsored

Florida not allowing direct sales by legacy auto makers but allow Rivian, Tesla.

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
OEMs can't sell direct in the state, prohibits no-haggle pricing, dealers get 8% of any OTA subscriptions for two years (for which the dealer does nothing)....wow, money talks and common sense walks!

OP
OP

riviantogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lexus Rx350
OEMs can't sell direct in the state, prohibits no-haggle pricing, dealers get 8% of any OTA subscriptions for two years (for which the dealer does nothing)....wow, money talks and common sense walks!
Yes . . . not great for consumers of GM and Ford. Dealers are still profitable and know the value of lobbying. But the law should help the likes of Rivian.
I had a pre-order on a Cadillac electric and gave up on it after the dealer did the usual add-on charges and needed a 5k deposit without any paperwork to say what the money was for. As I walked away they produced a deposit agreement but by then I'd had time to remember previous foul dealer experiences and my tenuous interest faded.

I give GM credit for trying, but the R1S is in a different league than the Lyriq.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
I assume the subscription cut is to give them a cut for things like heated seats, safety features, etc that have never been subscriptions before but are sometimes now.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I assume the subscription cut is to give them a cut for things like heated seats, safety features, etc that have never been subscriptions before but are sometimes now.
I don't know about for Blue Cruise, but for GM's Supercruise to work it needs the connectivity package or something like that.

As a consumer I wouldn't mind paying for that subscription because it's essentially for the data connectivity of the vehicle itself. But, I would be really annoyed if dealers got any of that money.
Sponsored