First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thought I would share information on my first tire rotation at 6k miles. I have a couple of 4ton Jack stand/bottle jack combo units. They worked great with the pucks I purchased. It is a great time to clean off the brake calipers as well.

Here is what I used;
Rivian R1T R1S First R1S tire rotation DIY experience D81341A6-8E1D-4259-8282-958A7347B75F

Rivian R1T R1S First R1S tire rotation DIY experience 80EB776E-12D7-4AD3-B674-13101CE26F39
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Love the setup!
Curious whether you can put the truck in a higher suspension setting, set the jacks then lower the suspension to pull the wheels up.
Is that stupid? lol

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Love the setup!
Curious whether you can put the truck in a higher suspension setting, set the jacks then lower the suspension to pull the wheels up.
Is that stupid? lol
Instructions say put the vehicle in off-road highest setting, then turn on tire change mode to prevent them from trying to adjust.

Pretty sure changing heights just releases air, it would not lift the tires.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Correct, the truck has no means to lift a wheel.

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Thought I would share information on my first tire rotation at 6k miles. I have a couple of 4ton Jack stand/bottle jack combo units. They worked great with the pucks I purchased. It is a great time to clean off the brake calipers as well.

Here is what I used;
D81341A6-8E1D-4259-8282-958A7347B75F.jpeg

80EB776E-12D7-4AD3-B674-13101CE26F39.jpeg
Thank you for sharing your process. I didn't even know this type of solution (bottle jack/jack stand combo) was available. I already have a ProEagle 3 ton off road jack, but that's cumbersome to use all the time and obviously isn't compact. I'm going to pick up one of these combo units which I can keep in my R1S (when it finally arrives s00n-ish) for non-off roading emergencies, and which can also help with my DIY tire changes and rotations. Thanks again for the info and idea!!!

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

@SANZC02 , did you jack say, the front up first, then the rear, or did you jack a little in the front, then the rear, then the front…?

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
@SANZC02 , did you jack say, the front up first, then the rear, or did you jack a little in the front, then back…?
I did half and half, you can do it all at once but the whole side lifts up, it is pretty stiff. I just wanted to minimize the gaps so half in front, lifted the back, then finished the front.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I did half and half, you can do it all at once but the whole side lifts up, it is pretty stiff. I just wanted to minimize the gaps so half in front, lifted the back, then finished the front.
So do you move the passenger side front to the back and the back to the front. Then do the same again on the driver side? Or do you switch between sides?

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
Looks like you used a breaker bar and then a ratchet wrench, is that right? I wonder if the onboard air compressor would run an air wrench for taking off and mounting the tires?

It's funny you should post this today because as I was driving home from work I was pondering how I was going to get a tire rotation done. Not exactly something I'd do while having an oil change done, unlike an ICE car. And I was feeling unsure about trusting a tire place to have an employee unfamiliar with the quirks of a Rivian to pull it into their shop. I may have to invest in the types of jacks you showed and do it myself.

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So do you move the passenger side front to the back and the back to the front. Then do the same again on the driver side? Or do you switch between sides?
I’ve always done front to back, been doing it that way over 45 years, seems to work well for me. I’ve seen odd shimmies on occasion when trying the X pattern, never had it doing front to back. YMMV…

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Bottle jacks used by OP, for those who are interested:

https://a.co/d/jdAFohO
Thanks for sharing the link.

I also didn't know these existed, seems more compact too. Are there alternatives to consider, or is the Cat 4 Ton All-in-One Truck Jack a pretty good choice? Don't think Project Farm has this specific category tested!

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Looks like you used a breaker bar and then a ratchet wrench, is that right? I wonder if the onboard air compressor would run an air wrench for taking off and mounting the tires?

It's funny you should post this today because as I was driving home from work I was pondering how I was going to get a tire rotation done. Not exactly something I'd do while having an oil change done, unlike an ICE car. And I was feeling unsure about trusting a tire place to have an employee unfamiliar with the quirks of a Rivian to pull it into their shop. I may have to invest in the types of jacks you showed and do it myself.
Yes I used a breaker bar and torque wrench. I have an air compressor and impact wrench but unless I’m in a rush I prefer breaker bar so I don’t over tighten the lugs. Hard to tell with an impact wrench when over tightened as the torque wrench will not tell you if it is over 190 just that it is clicking that it is at least 190. I usually tighten mostly with breaker bar and finish with the torque wrench.

The air compressor does not have a storage tank or capacity to drive power tools. Most torque wrenches require high airflow, something like 8-9 CFM at 90-100 PSI.
Sponsored